Chameleon Kit Meme

I don't have that one. Sorry hun! Go fight the Cause! lol ANd I want to know how this argument ends :hilarious: I think @CamoChameleonsHuman has it though.

I wrote a nice and well thought out plea to change the F*****G chameleon kit and not 5 seconds later I got a multi-paragraph cut and paste reply defending themselves and pretty much saying for some species of chameleons it's fine and big lights dont' allow gradients and it's only meant as a starter and zoomed intends for someone to buy more shit later.

:rolleyes:

I knew it wouldn't do anything and I'm wasting my time but hey I'm at work and getting paid so why not. My only reply is that it's silly to sell something knowing it's incomplete and will need to be replaced. HAVE A GOOD DAY MAM

I wrote a nice and well thought out plea to change the F*****G chameleon kit and not 5 seconds later I got a multi-paragraph cut and paste reply defending themselves and pretty much saying for some species of chameleons it's fine and big lights dont' allow gradients and it's only meant as a starter and zoomed intends for someone to buy more shit later.

:rolleyes:

I knew it wouldn't do anything and I'm wasting my time but hey I'm at work and getting paid so why not. My only reply is that it's silly to sell something knowing it's incomplete and will need to be replaced. HAVE A GOOD DAY MAM
Could you please send me that official reply? I'd be very interested in reading it.
I am not sure the politics surrounding posting here (can't imagine a form letter response would cause trouble), but you could message me here or send to [email protected] if you would be so kind!

Could you please send me that official reply? I'd be very interested in reading it.
I am not sure the politics surrounding posting here (can't imagine a form letter response would cause trouble), but you could message me here or send to [email protected] if you would be so kind!

I don't mind posting it here. I dont see why it would be any issue. I will post below. If this is not allowed, please, mods, delete.

"Hello Sable,

Thank you for contacting us about your concerns on the chameleon kit. The chameleon kit just like all of our kits is designed as a starter kit to allow a person to take their pet home today set it up and know that it will be okay while they access the rest of what they may need. Every animal is different, and a habitat can be set up in a variety of ways. With our starter kits, we try to supply as many of the basics that we can, while still keeping these factors in mind. There are so many different chameleon species and different environments that these enclosures will be set up in, while we would love to try to include everything a person may need it is just not possible to do so in this kit. If set up correctly, the UVB bulb that is included can be greatly beneficial to a variety of chameleons in a habitat of this size. Here is the link we have on our website that shows the UVB lamp to animal distance https://zoomed.com/wp-content/uploads/ZM_Lighting_Selection.jpg. We have used these UVB bulbs extensively with our own collection of chameleons from hatchling to adult with great success.
We have an animal room here with a collection of about 800 animals housed in it. As I mentioned we do use the compact fluorescent bulb with many of the animals in our collection and we test all of our UVB bulbs every 6 months with UVB meters and UVI meters to test the UVB output. All of our bulbs continue to show UVB output for up to 12 months from the start of use. Every batch of bulbs that we get in we also take random samples of as does our supplier to insure we are getting appropriate UVB output.

One of the other reasons we also include the Reptisun 5.0 mini compact bulb in the kit is to make sure that there will be a UVB gradient in the enclosure. A UVB gradient refers to creating a steady decrease of UVB within your animal’s enclosure as distance to the light increases. This helps the animal decide how much UVB it needs on its own, and move to appropriate areas of its enclosure when it needs more or less UV. Reptile have been around for millions and millions of years, and have developed adaptations such as converting UVB into vitamin D3 using special receptors in their skin and complex regulated biological pathways. Their behavior and instincts have also adapted, and one of the most important behaviors is basking. This behavior helps the animal seek out UVB and heat when it needs it. When it has enough, it seeks shelter away from the sun.

Some reptile keepers fail to set up an enclosure that allows these animals to regulate their UVB exposure themselves and instead find high output bulbs that cover the entire enclosure. This is mostly out of fear of MBD. However, by so doing it robs the animal of its ability to escape the UVB rays once it has had enough. This overexposure can lead to burns, damage to sensitive body parts (especially the retina of the eyes), and even death. It is similar to how humans like to sunbathe at the beach. It is nice to get warm and tan (a result of UVB exposure in humans as well), but after a while everyone needs to go home or find an umbrella to get shade and escape the sun’s rays. Reptiles need this shelter too, which is why having a UV gradient is so vital. There should be a location in the tank with higher UVB levels, at the top, usually at the bottom of the enclosure, it is best to not have any UVB. This gives your chameleon complete control over how much UV it needs. The 5.0 is a good bulb to create this gradient in an enclosure this size because there is not supposed to be as much UV at the bottom of the enclosure, but it also provides enough UVB when the animal is allowed to climb to a higher point without emitting levels of UVB that are dangerously high.

I hope this helps clear up some of your concerns about the bulb included in the chameleon kit.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Jennifer D.
Director of Customer Service"

www.zoomed.com

0ABF7F21-2340-4813-970F-F325719B7733.jpeg AE0911A7-6022-4D89-A27E-A037AD63A00D.jpeg

My message was sent at 12:24pm and the lengthy reply was 12:27pm.

Attachments

• 20190824_225143.jpg
    20190824_225143.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20190824_225159.jpg
    20190824_225159.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 70
My main beef is that I asked for a larger cage, considering there is a full grown Male panther on the box and that they could 100% put in a linear UVB. I do hope their 800 animals are good.

I know there is a lot of ways to keep a chameleon. I also know I'm LITERALLY preaching to the choir here but for someone not doing the delicate fine tuning-- just make a kit that gives a better chance. I also am not satisfied that the expectation is for is to buy all new stuff--when that is NOWHERE advertised or said. She said it's not possible and it is so, expletive expletive.

Last edited:
My main beef is that I asked for a larger cage, considering there us a full grown Male panther on the box and that they could 100% put in a linear UVB. I do hope their 800 animals are good.

I know there I'd a lot of ways to keep a chameleon. I also know I'm LITERALLY preaching to the choir here but for someone not doing the delicate fine tuning just make a kit that gives a better chance. I also am not satisfied that the expectation is for is to buy all new stuff--when that is NOWHERE advertised or said. She said it's not possible and it is so, expletive expletive.
I think it is good that you tried. I agree the kit is a joke. It is the only one offered in the petco's and petsmarts I have been into. They did not even have the larger size in stores as an option to buy with separate lighting. Obviously you got a form response with the what 3 minutes it took for them to send it back. :(

Back
Top Bottom