Chameleon keepers are strange...

antithesis123

You know, our chameleons require a lot of special care and monitoring for a mostly "ornamental" animal (let's not get sidetracked with symantics) - but we love caring for them and appreciating all their amazing qualities. Keeping chameleons is truly rewarding though I've found that explaining how I care for them to friends returns some strange looks. Granted, It's not for everyone yet I'm wondering what other animal or reptile keepers are stranger than Chameleon Keepers?

Tell me about it. I had a date come over to my apartment yesterday who had never been here before and this is a guy that does aquaculture, so he says he has a room full of aquariums and such. But I'm sitting there telling him that I have this system for misting, this other thing for drainage, all these bins for insects, insect food, supplements, yada yada and I could just tell he was thinking "wow." But he still called me this morning, so hey. Must not be too terrifying.

i have noticed people think its odd but usually cool at the same time. they want me to bring my chameleons to school and work. like thats happening. lol :rolleyes:

I come from a different spectrum of "extreme parrot keeping". OK maybe I'm not exteme, but I don't just put them in tiny cages with some seeds. :p

They get a fresh meal daily, be it beans and rice, quinoa, diced fruits and veggies, bird bread.. whatever I have going on for the week.

Some of them are free range, no cages. This blows some people's minds! Well some people free range their chams so I'm sure you understand, it is just better for their well being, but some of them are not cut out for free range.

I also let them fly. They do not go out side so there is no point keeping their wings cut, it is natural for them to fly(they are birds.) and it is great excercise!

So like my parrots, I feel my cham should be treated the same, with the best care possible. It's just in my nature to provide for my pets in the best way I can.

Back
Top Bottom