Chameleon Itching his eye on branch

Sherbertsmysunshine

Chameleon Enthusiast
I was feeding my Sambava panther chameleon when I saw him itching his eye on a branch, this is the first time I saw him do this. He shed a couple weeks ago and still has a small spot near the eye he was itching, could this be the problem? or could he be low in vitamins?

1680395405993.JPEG
1680395376249.JPEG

1680395390622.JPEG
View attachment 336783

It’s hard to tell with eyes what exactly the problem is, so it may not be a supplement issue. However, your supplement regimen does need correcting. You should be using the Zoo Med calcium without D3 at every feeding except for one every week. You’ll use the Fluker’s calcium with D3 for that one feeding every other week. Then you need a good multivitamin to use, also one feeding every other week (alternating with the D3). I suggest getting/using ReptiVite (make sure it is without D3) as it contains preformed vitamin A which is good for chameleon eyes. To simplify/clarify - use calcium with D3 on the 1st and 15th of the month, and use the multivitamin on the 7th and 30th.
It will take a bit of time for whatever deficiency your pretty guy has to be fully corrected. However, if his eye problem is a vitamin deficiency, he’ll start feeling better within a few weeks or couple of doses.
That little bit of shed may be bothering him - but I am more inclined to believe his issue is multivitamin deficiency. Btw, he is beautiful and will probably become more so after a couple of months with the correct supplements. :)

Back
Top Bottom