Chameleon is staying dark and tilted

He’s been through a lot in the last couple months. A respiratory infection, several falls, and some burns to his spine and side. We’ve taken him on three separate occasions to see the vet. Currently he’s taking medicam, and I’m applying silver sulfadiazine twice daily. He’s still eating and drinking, but he’s consistently dark in coloration and tilted on his side. Does anyone know what this could mean? He’s also not supporting himself, literally. He lays on his stomach a lot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 111
Is he in this posture under the basking spot? Or is he tiled and flat in lower areas of the cage.

My chameleon gets "Flat" and leans when she is under her basking spot. She also rests on branches sometimes. Like looks like she is laying down. Just this morning she gave me a kung fu grip so it never strikes me as a sign of bad health -- but I could be mistaken.

Is he in this posture under the basking spot? Or is he tiled and flat in lower areas of the cage.

My chameleon gets "Flat" and leans when she is under her basking spot. She also rests on branches sometimes. Like looks like she is laying down. Just this morning she gave me a kung fu grip so it never strikes me as a sign of bad health -- but I could be mistaken.
He’s leaning and lethargic everywhere in his cage. His grip is strong for the most part, but his coloration is always dark. I watched him eat and drink this morning. He’s taking medicam for its painkilling and anti inflammatory properties, and the silver ointment for his burns. His spine is about 8 inches away from the day lamps. The vets in my area don’t seem to but much help. Does anyone have advice? Thank you for your responses

He’s leaning and lethargic everywhere in his cage. His grip is strong for the most part, but his coloration is always dark. I watched him eat and drink this morning. He’s taking medicam for its painkilling and anti inflammatory properties, and the silver ointment for his burns. His spine is about 8 inches away from the day lamps. The vets in my area don’t seem to but much help. Does anyone have advice? Thank you for your responses

Brody and JackJill are very knowledgable-- let me know your area and I'll help locate a vet from this forum.

Please fill this out:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

He has been through a lot of treatments. Did you ever fill out the help form? Maybe we missed something in his husbandry. I'd like to know what his lights are like now and what supplements he is getting.

Brody and JackJill are very knowledgable-- let me know your area and I'll help locate a vet from this forum.

Please fill this out:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Attachments

• BA4099C1-656E-4DA7-A83B-9D8D201EDD50.jpeg
    BA4099C1-656E-4DA7-A83B-9D8D201EDD50.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 60
Can't read your notes ...(was at the eye doctor today and my vision is still a little blurry).

How long has he been leaning and lethargic?
What meds was he on in the last month or so?

Did these current symptoms start when you started giving him the medicam? He may eventually need blood work to determine if there is something off internally.

It looks like you are only dusting with a multivitamin/Ca/D3 combo every 2 weeks. Do you dust with plain Ca/no D3 daily?

Super worms are good but not the best daily staple feeders because they are harder to gutload. Most keepers feed them maybe a couple times a week as treats. I know some members recently have had a hard time getting their chams to eat anything else once they have had supers. I would recommend sticking to the crickets and roaches. If he likes worms I would highly recommend silkworms.

Misting 6x daily seems excessive but I see that it is for 45 secs. I know your Cham is currently being treated for a RI. You may want to bump that down to 2 longer sessions since you have the dripper going as well. Humidity is ok, just make sure it stays on the lower end of normal to avoid another RI. Most keepers have lower humidity during the day higher at night.

If I am repeating anything that has been recommend previously I apologize.

Stop the medicam it’s no good for reptiles that’s what’s causing the dark colors and weakness he will eat and drink but slowly shut sown find a new vet tho

Thank you guys for your input. Is medicam not safe? He’s been on an antibiotic for respiratory infection, Silvadene, and medicam for pain.

Back
Top Bottom