Chameleon is losing color!

noushi

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Ambilobe Panther, Male, almost a year, we've had him since November 2014
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Maybe once a week, we let him free range onto a plant for about an hour, then pick him up to go back to his cage.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? He gets 8-10 large crickets (sometimes a bit more) daily, around 8:30-9 (lights come on at 8). They are gut loaded with apples or oranges that have been sprinkled with Cricket Crack. Occasionally he'll get silk worms or phoenix worms depending on if we have them.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? He gets calcium w/o D3 daily, every other Thursday he gets Calcium with D3, and the other Thursdays he gets Rep-Cal Herpavite supplement.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? We have a Mistking System that mists the cage for a minute every hour and a half. I see him lick the leaves and branches after they're wet, but he hides from the mister when it goes off.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? His poop looks just like the normal poops on the poop 101 page. They're just brown long lumps with white urates. He has not been tested for parasites since I've had him.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I feel like he's small for his size. I don't have a way to measure him really, but in comparison to other photos here on the forum he looks small.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? He's in a reptibreeze screen cage that is 18x18x36 inches. I know that it small for his age, but we're only a few days away from getting him into a 24x24x48 inch cage.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? We have a tropic blaze HO T5 24" Quad Fixture with Arcadia 6% bulb and two 6.5k Daylight Bulbs and a plant pro bulb. We purchased it from Lightyourreptiles.com. We also have a Mini Combo Deep Dome lamp fixture by Zoo Med, with a 5.0 UVB Reptisun Mini Compact bulb and a 100w Blue Daylight Bulb over his basking spot.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? The basking spot is between 80-85 degrees, and the rest of the cage is between 72-75 degrees. I have a heat gun to measure it, as well as a digital thermometer that has a probe thingy inside the cage. The lowest temp over night would be 68-70 degrees because that is what the house is kept at.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? humidity is usually 55-60% in the middle of the cage. It goes up when it's misted (Duh), but doesn't normally fall lower than 50%. The upper part of the cage is a bit less humid (because of the lights), but we have a humidifier that we turn on when he's shedding that has a pipe to the top of the cage. We're creating the humidity with the mister and the plant, and maintaining it by placing towels around three sides of the cage with shower curtains outside of the towels. In the winter time I mist the towels to help with the humidity, but since it's summertime I haven't had to do that.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? We're using a pothos that is hanging in the cage. The soil was change out to organic soil when we first got it (in November of last year), and there are river rocks hiding the exposed soil.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is located in the living room, it's not too high of a traffic area, but you can see the kitchen from his position, so we covered the side of the cage with a towel so he can't see the kitchen. The room he is in is two stories high, so there's a lot of space above the top of his cage.
Location - Where are you geographically located? I'm located in NW Arkansas.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. He's really pale, like he's lost all his color. He used to be a very vibrant animal, but now he's dull looking. I'm just very concerned for his well being. I love him very much, and hate the idea that he might be suffering. He started losing is color a few months ago, but I wasn't very worried because he was still moving, pooping, and eating fine. I read somewhere that they can turn pale at around 7 months, and that they usually get their color back around 1 year old (I can't find the place that I read this at now). But now he's almost a year old and he is just looking worse. He's still eating and moving and pooping, but I'm a worrier. I'd feel horrible if he died and I didn't exhaust all options to help him. I've put off a vet visit because he really hates to be handled, and I was afraid that would put too much stress on him.
The pictures are of him in January, May, and now. For some reason they're sideways and I don't know how to fix them.

Attachments

• 19475400406_dd90f02cd2_o.jpg
    19475400406_dd90f02cd2_o.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 351
  • 19494887052_feacc5faaf_o.jpg
    19494887052_feacc5faaf_o.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 357
  • 19505687751_14dd9581ba_o.jpg
    19505687751_14dd9581ba_o.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 354
I wonder if he's just mellowing out as he matures and doesn't feel the need to fire up in response to his environment. Many chams go through a particularly testy "teenager" phase before they mature, and you may be used to seeing him in this phase. Does he ever fire up if he sees his reflection or another cham? Is his "fired up" coloration the same as it used to be? Have his sleeping colors changed? They are often brighter than the contented relaxed colors.

I have read about some panthers that get duller with age, but I'm not an expert on this at all.

The last pic is about as fired up as he gets right now, when he's not that color he's paler. I could try putting a mirror in front of him?
He's near white when he sleeps, he used to be a peachy color when sleeping.

He looks great!

Maybe someone with more experience could chime in, but I think he looks wonderful. He doesn't seem to have any signs of dehydration or vitamin deficiencies, he looks well fed and happy. So what if he isn't neon colored, he seems to be in great health and he is lucky to have such a caring owner!

Hope this helps,
Sarah

Kammerflage Kreations had a chameleon turn all white in a similar fashion. It only lasted for a period of time before the colors returned. Hopefully, yours will do the same.

Panther chameleons have many phases in their lives and that can be everything from activity, color and attitude.

I would test your UVB and have a fecal done on him. Just where I would start.

Back
Top Bottom