chameleon is having diarrhea please help!!

hannahklein725

my chameleon is having diarrhea and she’s been having both eyes closed can someone please help!!!! i took her to the vet for the eye thing and they said they don’t know what’s wrong with her but now she’s having diarrhea.

Attachments

• A07A4858-EA3D-43F3-BE6C-13B9D7390AF9.jpeg
    A07A4858-EA3D-43F3-BE6C-13B9D7390AF9.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 5FA9CF6C-0E74-4CD6-95D2-7E15435B24BE.jpeg
    5FA9CF6C-0E74-4CD6-95D2-7E15435B24BE.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 111

Attachments

• 47FEAFAA-8EB8-444A-AFB6-D0617C21CC62.jpeg
    47FEAFAA-8EB8-444A-AFB6-D0617C21CC62.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 9C504FF6-FA87-4431-B3FE-651576A23663.jpeg
    9C504FF6-FA87-4431-B3FE-651576A23663.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 68BB8645-A7E4-4033-9178-A16B246E71DB.jpeg
    68BB8645-A7E4-4033-9178-A16B246E71DB.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 2A2578DF-1470-48A3-BB4C-AE21187DD98F.jpeg
    2A2578DF-1470-48A3-BB4C-AE21187DD98F.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 114
  • 3951A468-441D-48CB-827D-29F2015BADA2.jpeg
    3951A468-441D-48CB-827D-29F2015BADA2.jpeg
    235.4 KB · Views: 119
Please post some photos of your chameleon and the whole cage.

Please answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum?

Was the vet a chameleon vet?
yes it’s a reptile vet, yet they can’t figure out her eye problems so i’ll have to bring her to a different reptile vet

Get a fecal done as Kinyonga said. Has she eaten, if so what have you fed her, along with how long this problem has been going on.

Take some of the fecal dropped today and place it in a bag and then a fridge. I don’t know when you’ll be going to the vet next but this might be the only fecal you might get to do a test with. I would say this situation is semi urgent, and you should get her in soon.

Not all exotics vets are experienced or knowledgable about chameleons. What is your general location? We may be able to help you find a vet experienced with chams.
Although we aren’t vets and can’t diagnose or cure your baby, we can review your husbandry and make sure all is correct. Sometimes it helps reveal things that may have led to current issue and help prevent any future ones. Here are the questions…just copy & paste.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon ,female, about 7-8 months. How long has it been in your care? 7-8 months
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? every couple of days but she doesn’t mind it she actually prefers to be out and held.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? mealworms, waxworms, crickets, dubai roaches, black solider fly larvae. What amount? i toss a few into her bowl and she eats how ever much of it she wants. What is the schedule? every night her bowl is refilled. How are you gut-loading your feeders? potatoes.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? rep-cal supplement. calcium- 6 days of the week. calcium d3- once every other week. multivitamin- once every other week.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? i have an automatic mistking. How often and how long to you mist? 1-2 minutes. Do you see your chameleon drinking? yes.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. - watery brown. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? no.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. no

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? screen. 48x28x28
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? arcadia t5 tropical bulb. 40w housebulb for basking. What is your daily lighting schedule? 12 hours 2pm-2am
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? basking- 85 degrees, middle- 75, floor- 71. Lowest overnight temp?66 degrees How do you measure these temps? temperature gun.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels?40 range during the day, 60-70 at night. How are you creating and maintaining these levels? with her system. What do you use to measure humidity? hygrometer.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? yes, pothos and i’m not sure what the other one is called.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? near the ceiling fan. she stays in a calm area. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? the top reaches about 6-6.5 feet, tallest thing in the room.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? south mississippi.

I don’t see anything in your husbandry that could cause diarrhea. Having a vet visit and fecal check for parasites is the best course of action. I’d also suggest having an x ray to see if she’s carrying eggs and if so, what stage of development they are in.
I do see a few things that I’d suggest changing to help reduce the number of eggs she produces and the frequency of laying. Larger clutches can increase risks of becoming egg bound and frequent laying have proven to shorten our ladies lives. I keep my girls basking temps around 80 and no higher. I feed them about 3-4 feeders, 3 days a week plus the occasional treat of bsfl pupated into flies. I’d also stop the mealworms and wax worms as staple feeders. While and occasional mealworm is ok, they don’t make great staple feeders and it’s said they can be hard to digest. Wax worms are very fatty and should only be treats. I love silkworms, which along with roaches I’ve been told by a great vet are the most nutritious.
For a vet, I only know of Dr Askew. From his YouTube videos, he’s pretty experienced with a large number of exotics, including chameleons.
E1EE59BE-BAEA-4A9E-8A04-AA67C4428E53.jpeg

I don’t see anything in your husbandry that could cause diarrhea. Having a vet visit and fecal check for parasites is the best course of action. I’d also suggest having an x ray to see if she’s carrying eggs and if so, what stage of development they are in.
I do see a few things that I’d suggest changing to help reduce the number of eggs she produces and the frequency of laying. Larger clutches can increase risks of becoming egg bound and frequent laying have proven to shorten our ladies lives. I keep my girls basking temps around 80 and no higher. I feed them about 3-4 feeders, 3 days a week plus the occasional treat of bsfl pupated into flies. I’d also stop the mealworms and wax worms as staple feeders. While and occasional mealworm is ok, they don’t make great staple feeders and it’s said they can be hard to digest. Wax worms are very fatty and should only be treats. I love silkworms, which along with roaches I’ve been told by a great vet are the most nutritious.
For a vet, I only know of Dr Askew. From his YouTube videos, he’s pretty experienced with a large number of exotics, including chameleons.
View attachment 307777
thank you so much!! i’m actually trying to get in touch with dr. askew as we speak. where do you get your silkworms from?

You said..."every night her bowl is refilled. How are you gut-loading your feeders? "...so you feed her at night? Do you always do that?

Potatoes aren't a good enough food for feeding/gutloading your chameleon. I would recommend dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, carrots, squash, sweet potato, zucchini, sweet red peppers, etc. and a small amount of apple, pear, berries, melon.

You do have to be very careful not to overfeed female veileds too because it will make them produce large clutches of eggs and likely develop follicular stasis, eggbinding, MBD, etc. @MissSkittles has given you direction on how to prevent this.

Back
Top Bottom