Chameleon is dark and won’t drink

My 11 month old tamatave panther has been through the ringer. He recently recovered from a RI, and burns. For some reason his spines still keep getting burned even though I moved his basking light months ago. Unfortunately he’ll only eat super worms and recently he’s quit drinking water. His eyes are starting to get sunken in and I haven’t found feces in over 4 days. The last time that I found the feces they were bone dry. Water is readily available from multiple sources at all times. He’s been to the vet 3 times and I can’t afford another vet visit. What should I do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 92
Can you list your supplement schedule and feeding regiment and gutload for feeders? How often are you misting the cage and what are the humidity readings before and after misting? Is he still on medication and if so what kind and how often?

No more medication, humidity 60%, automatic Mister once every 2 hours for 25 seconds. With once in the morning for 1 minute, once in evening for 1 mins. Hand mist terrarium 1-2times daily. He will only eat super worms, guy loaded with carrots, broccoli, sweet potato, apples, honey, and oats. I give him feeders around noon, I offer 4. He just had a shed but hasn’t fully shed. It’s been about 2 weeks since his shed started. Calcium powder with every meal, multivitamin and calcium with d-3 powder every two weekends.

Regarding the spines still getting burned...put your hand under the light inside the cage where he sits to bask...if you have to move your hand then the list is too hot. If not then maybe the skin is tender where it was burned before?

What medications was he given in the last couple of months?

How much honey are you using?

Last edited:
He was Given a antibiotic for his RI. 20 days oral medication. He was also given silvadene ointment for burns, and medi-Cham for pain. I stopped medicam after a few days because he got super dark and grey after taking it. Recently he has bounced back and made a complete recovery appearance wise. But unfortunately the last 3 days he won’t drink or defecate. I give his feeder worms honey every time that I change their food.

Chameleons can have colour changing reactions to some medications from my experience.

I was hoping for the name of the medication so I could figure out if it had something to do with the problem.

Last edited:
I don't think a 25 second mist is enough to stimulate him to drink. Set the mister to mist for 2 or 2 1/2 minutes every 2 hours during the day.

Back
Top Bottom