Chameleon is consistently ashy/brown

Hi all, I'm new to this forum but was hoping I could get some answers on the odd coloration of my veiled chameleon. I've had him for about two months, I'm not positive how old he is (maybe that's another question you could answer from the photos!), and he's always shown ashy or brown colors during the day. I've tried adjusting his basking spot temperature, but that doesn't seem to change anything. He is very friendly and comes out once or twice a week, but his colors don't change when he's inside or outside his enclosure. I've filled out the husbandry questionnaire below, thank you for your suggestions and help!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled chameleon, male, unsure of age but juvenile. I have owned him for about two months.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Once or twice a week, only to sit in the windowsill and enjoy natural light. Very friendly.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Wax worms, super worms, hornworms, and sometimes crickets. Eats 5-6 worms or 7-8 crickets per day, never both.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Calcium without D3 daily, Reptivites once every 2 weeks.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Dripper system throughout the day, misting by hand with a pressurized spray bottle 3-4x a day. Have only seen him drink a few times but refuses to drink from spray bottle or syringe.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Defecates around 2x a week soft but firm, white or light yellow urates. Has never been tested for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Purchased from Petco, not breeder.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen 16x16x30 enclosure, but recently ordered a larger enclosure as that he has grown a lot in the last two months.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 UVB/UVA, Exo Terra Basking Spot lamp 75-Watt, 9AM-PM.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 72 at lowest point, 80-85 basking spot. 65 at night. Using two thermometer/humidity gauges at top and bottom of his cage.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity fluctuates around 40%. I placed plastic on two sides of his enclosure to maintain humidity. Misting 3-4x a day.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No live plants, considering adding a ficus.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Cage is located in the living room, I live alone and spend minimal time near his cage except for feeding and handling. Air conditioner in the room but rarely on. Top of cage sits about 6 feet from the floor.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Living in Ohio.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. My chameleon consistently displays ashy or brown colors except when sleeping. Changing the basking temperature has not worked. Photos are attached of him in his cage, during handling, and of the enclosure itself.

Attachments

• IMG_1896.jpeg
    IMG_1896.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_2540.jpeg
    IMG_2540.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_2539.jpeg
    IMG_2539.jpeg
    324.9 KB · Views: 177
Color is normal. Dont feed him so much worms because you should mix feeders and he will get addicted to super worms and wont eat anything else. Throw out mealworms totally they have hard skeleton and 0 nutrition. Feed your crickets with healthy vegetables and get some roaches. Superworms are like treats and hornworms are good for hydration. Good luck

Hi all, I'm new to this forum but was hoping I could get some answers on the odd coloration of my veiled chameleon. I've had him for about two months, I'm not positive how old he is (maybe that's another question you could answer from the photos!), and he's always shown ashy or brown colors during the day. I've tried adjusting his basking spot temperature, but that doesn't seem to change anything. He is very friendly and comes out once or twice a week, but his colors don't change when he's inside or outside his enclosure. I've filled out the husbandry questionnaire below, thank you for your suggestions and help!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled chameleon, male, unsure of age but juvenile. I have owned him for about two months.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Once or twice a week, only to sit in the windowsill and enjoy natural light. Very friendly.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Wax worms, super worms, hornworms, and sometimes crickets. Eats 5-6 worms or 7-8 crickets per day, never both.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Calcium without D3 daily, Reptivites once every 2 weeks.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Dripper system throughout the day, misting by hand with a pressurized spray bottle 3-4x a day. Have only seen him drink a few times but refuses to drink from spray bottle or syringe.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Defecates around 2x a week soft but firm, white or light yellow urates. Has never been tested for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Purchased from Petco, not breeder.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen 16x16x30 enclosure, but recently ordered a larger enclosure as that he has grown a lot in the last two months.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 UVB/UVA, Exo Terra Basking Spot lamp 75-Watt, 9AM-PM.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 72 at lowest point, 80-85 basking spot. 65 at night. Using two thermometer/humidity gauges at top and bottom of his cage.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity fluctuates around 40%. I placed plastic on two sides of his enclosure to maintain humidity. Misting 3-4x a day.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No live plants, considering adding a ficus.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Cage is located in the living room, I live alone and spend minimal time near his cage except for feeding and handling. Air conditioner in the room but rarely on. Top of cage sits about 6 feet from the floor.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Living in Ohio.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. My chameleon consistently displays ashy or brown colors except when sleeping. Changing the basking temperature has not worked. Photos are attached of him in his cage, during handling, and of the enclosure itself.
1. Agree with @Serbianchameleon. Those should be rare treats, not staple feeders. What are you gutloading with? Posting chameleon food and gut loading graphics below.
2. What supplements are you using specifically. It is generally recommended to use calcium only at every feeding and only using D3 twice a month as well as a multivitamin twice a month. Although I use Repashy Calcium LoD myself at every feeding, but it really depends on how much D3 you are giving so please specify the brands.
3. What size cage did you get?
4. The 10.0 bulb might be a bit much, especially in a smaller cage depending on how far you have it from the top. I will post the Arcadia lighting graphic below as well.
5. With a veiled chameleons it is highly recommended to use live plants as they are known to eat vegetation.

Attachments

• chameleon-food(1).jpg
    chameleon-food(1).jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 168
  • UVB-Map-Arcadia-UVB-FZone-3-Rev-D.jpg
    UVB-Map-Arcadia-UVB-FZone-3-Rev-D.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 159
  • chameleon-gutload.jpg
    chameleon-gutload.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 195
Dont feed him so much worms because you should mix feeders and he will get addicted to super worms and wont eat anything else.
Aha! So it's not just dragons that get addicted to those buggers. What do they gut load them with, crack?

No, seriously, does anyone know why supers are (so) addicting? :unsure:

Everything has been covered except for enclosure size. Stella came from Petco and was always a muddy color. I hadn’t planned on getting her, so wasn’t prepared and kept her in the 16x16x30 that I had laying around. It took a few weeks to get her 24x24x48 and set it up, but once she was in that for a little bit, her colors came out and she is now absolutely gorgeous!
Stella in small enclosure
D0A37DAA-3C4F-4C01-836E-D8F19F9DF59C.jpeg

Stella now (has her pretty receptive colors on) Yes! She really is almost neon green!
6851FFC7-B262-44AB-9F9A-5637DCFC2D90.jpeg

Pic to show you size difference between 16x16x30 and 24x24x48
3FF89D66-94D2-43C2-A9D0-81C05EEBF694.jpeg

Last edited:
1. Agree with @Serbianchameleon. Those should be rare treats, not staple feeders. What are you gutloading with? Posting chameleon food and gut loading graphics below.
2. What supplements are you using specifically. It is generally recommended to use calcium only at every feeding and only using D3 twice a month as well as a multivitamin twice a month. Although I use Repashy Calcium LoD myself at every feeding, but it really depends on how much D3 you are giving so please specify the brands.
3. What size cage did you get?
4. The 10.0 bulb might be a bit much, especially in a smaller cage depending on how far you have it from the top. I will post the Arcadia lighting graphic below as well.
5. With a veiled chameleons it is highly recommended to use live plants as they are known to eat vegetation.

Thanks so much for these graphics, I haven’t seen them before and they are incredibly helpful! I’m moving him into a 24x24x48 hopefully next week; I’ll be sure to use the lighting chart to make sure I get the appropriate lighting. Thanks again!

Everything has been covered except for enclosure size. Stella came from Petco and was always a muddy color. I hadn’t planned on getting her, so wasn’t prepared and kept her in the 16x16x30 that I had laying around. It took a few weeks to get her 24x24x48 and set it up, but once she was in that for a little bit, her colors came out and she is now absolutely gorgeous!
View attachment 268217
Stella now (has her pretty receptive colors on) Yes! She really is almost neon green!
View attachment 268218
View attachment 268219

Thanks for sharing this, she is gorgeous! I just ordered a 24x24x48 enclosure last week so hopefully I can get him moved in soon and he’ll be a little more comfortable.

Thanks so much for these graphics, I haven’t seen them before and they are incredibly helpful!
Then I would spend some time perusing the information in the Resources section of this site, where those graphics can be found—and a whole lot more. That was my first stop after registering here (though it's not a requirement).

IMO, a lot of people could save themselves a lot of time just going through that stuff. A lot of the questions asked here are already answered there. :)

Then I would spend some time perusing the information in the Resources section of this site, where those graphics can be found—and a whole lot more. That was my first stop after registering here (though it's not a requirement).

IMO, a lot of people could save themselves a lot of time just going through that stuff. A lot of the questions asked here are already answered there. :)

Thanks for linking this, I’ll check it out!

View attachment 268217
View attachment 268218
View attachment 268219
I'm starting to think I'm doing something wrong... mine doesn't have much color.

Back
Top Bottom