Chameleon in bad shape

Sorry for your loss
Thanks can't seem to figure it out. Since I got him wouldn't eat crickets. If I chose get another down the road be a while. Just a question with the veiled/Panthers. Is there a easier chameleon species to care for. Bearded dragons and iguanas are pretty much up there with the veiled care needed.

I don't own any beardies or other lizards for that matter, but I'm almost certain the care needed for a veiled chameleon is very different from a bearded dragon. They are a lot more fickle and sensitive compared to beardies. Chameleons in general and regardless of the species are an advanced reptile to own. The logistics are very involved and extensive. Please don't go into another chameleon until you thoroughly understand all of their needs, cost and proper husbandry. You'll be setting yourself up for another heartbreaking loss.

Thanks can't seem to figure it out. Since I got him wouldn't eat crickets. If I chose get another down the road be a while. Just a question with the veiled/Panthers. Is there a easier chameleon species to care for. Bearded dragons and iguanas are pretty much up there with the veiled care needed.
I’m so sorry your guy passed.
Veileds are the easiest chameleon to care for. Looking over your husbandry, you had a few things off, but I doubt if that could have caused death in only the month that you had him. Where did you get him from? He may have had parasites or some other underlying condition that the stress of moving to a new home just pushed his immune system over the edge.
If you choose to try again with a chameleon, come here first and you’ll be helped so that you and your cham will have a more positive outcome.

I don't own any beardies or other lizards for that matter, but I'm almost certain the care needed for a veiled chameleon is very different from a bearded dragon. They are a lot more fickle and sensitive compared to beardies. Chameleons in general and regardless of the species are an advanced reptile to own. The logistics are very involved and extensive. Please don't go into another chameleon until you thoroughly understand all of their needs, cost and proper husbandry. You'll be setting yourself up for another heartbreaking loss.
Thanks for the heads up. I done everything I thought needed for a veiled. Debated on the 5.0 or 10.0 reptisun. Finally found organic soil for the potho I was going to add to the cage. Still searching for bamboo sticks give more basking options. Found a vet in Aurora that will see a chameleon. Iguana takes up to much space where could take a bedroom for size of enclosure they need. Bearded dragon just never really cared for them. Heard they can be messy.

From the sound of it I can tell you tried your very best my friend. Don't ruminate over it. As a couple of the other members said, it's highly unlikely it was your fault. Sounds like he came to you on the precipice of a serious illness or maybe even bad husbandry. So sorry for your loss and that you had to go through this. It really sucks.

I’m so sorry your guy passed.
Veileds are the easiest chameleon to care for. Looking over your husbandry, you had a few things off, but I doubt if that could have caused death in only the month that you had him. Where did you get him from? He may have had parasites or some other underlying condition that the stress of moving to a new home just pushed his immune system over the edge.
If you choose to try again with a chameleon, come here first and you’ll be helped so that you and your cham will have a more positive outcome.
Thank you for this info. Kinda thought same with veileds. Unsure on reason he passed. Tried cup feeding with crickets in it. And let 8-10 free roam and just gathered then before lights went off. I got him from backwaterreptile. Really looking unlikely I'll get another. Really have to think about it.

From the sound of it I can tell you tried your very best my friend. Don't ruminate over it. As a couple of the other members said, it's highly unlikely it was your fault. Sounds like he came to you on the precipice of a serious illness or maybe even bad husbandry. So sorry for your loss and that you had to go through this. It really sucks.
I really did my research but honestly should of came here first for better results. Sucks when your looking for closer because you seem like you failed a animal. With that I already feel I failed my dog because of his current health issue. It does really suck when you feel like a failure. I see these chameleons at PetSmart and sometimes Petco but barely go there. Some babies and sometimes juvenile chams and they have worse setups ever. Being heartbroken sucks I live alone and these guys are like my kids. I always put them first.

Thank you for this info. Kinda thought same with veileds. Unsure on reason he passed. Tried cup feeding with crickets in it. And let 8-10 free roam and just gathered then before lights went off. I got him from backwaterreptile. Really looking unlikely I'll get another. Really have to think about it.
I’m quite new to reptiles and all things related, but I’m not finding very many positive reviews of Backwater Reptiles. The majority are negative and warn not to buy from them. There are reputable breeders as site sponsors...just an fyi.

Sorry for your lost. If you have a petco in your town you can surrender the cham there. When I bought mines there they said if it gets sick to where I couldnt help her I can give her to them and they will cover the vet. Maybe tell them u bought it from a differnt petco if they only do it for pets bought from them. (not sure if you can buy it back but maybe)

Last edited:
Poor little guy. Im sorry you lost him. If you ever think about getting another chameleon, ever, just come here and we will make sure you get it from the right place, and get the right info. Theres no rush. I hope your dog feels better.

BackWaterReptiles is a horrible breeder, don't buy from them.

If you have your heart set on a reptile, start with something easy, then work your way up. Reptile experience really does help.

Wish I knew this about the breeder/company before I purchased. When I got the Cham he had one eye closed while basking. But opened it when I got near the cage. Just didn't think much of it. Thought maybe was stress behavior because of new home and adventure he had. Came skinny with weird bumps on his rib area and could see the ribs. But really thought would been safer then pet stores. But I may have been better off and minus shipping cost. Wasn't happy with way he was shipped packing and all that. Spoke to the vet could of been alot of things why he wouldn't eat. Sometimes stress with a new home doesn't go well with chams. That or another underlying cause that wasn't identified until it was to late.

Sorry about your little man. You made a mistake, you will learn from it. Not your fault hun.

Back
Top Bottom