Chameleon in a dire situation.

You certainly did say you bought her, don’t play dumb with us. I’ve always thought that if you were sold something that means you bought it.
I didn’t really think about the words I used. Everyone understood what I meant and you are the only one that seems to take issue. I didn’t trade her for money and I didn’t want to say given because that makes it sound like I was given little choice. I also didn’t want to say took because people would get the wrong ideas. I really just said sold because it was the only word I thought people wouldn’t read into and I didn’t have time to pick and choose every word I used. But obviously I was wrong.

One quick question to anyone who sees this, I’m planning on getting a healthy chameleon within the next week. Unlike the last one I will spend more time looking and will get a healthy one. I’ll post all of the materials I have and see what feedback I get. But before I do I just want to know if bleach and boiling of the wood and plants that I used for this chameleon would be enough to get rid of any diseases or viruses the chameleon in this thread possibly had? I put the materials in a bath of 1:40 bleach and I boiled everything that could be boiled and steamed the rest. Any suggestions apart from what I did would be greatly appreciated.

One quick question to anyone who sees this, I’m planning on getting a healthy chameleon within the next week. Unlike the last one I will spend more time looking and will get a healthy one. I’ll post all of the materials I have and see what feedback I get. But before I do I just want to know if bleach and boiling of the wood and plants that I used for this chameleon would be enough to get rid of any diseases or viruses the chameleon in this thread possibly had? I put the materials in a bath of 1:40 bleach and I boiled everything that could be boiled and steamed the rest. Any suggestions apart from what I did would be greatly appreciated.
Coccidia is your biggest worry and problem. If she had that almost nothing you will do will get rid of it. Bleach is a no go. I would just cut your loses with what she had in that enclosure and start fresh.

I use Ammonia

Thanks for the response. I’m going to try a few things tomorrow to get the chemicals off and I’ll look into ammonia. But sadly I used all of the supplies I had so I’m probably not going to be able to afford replacing everything. (Just a reminder that my first cage had normal things in it. The pictures you see have much much less of what her original cage had). I’ll try to figure out something. Really should have thought all of this through before I decided to take her in. I guess I learned my lesson.

Thanks for the response. I’m going to try a few things tomorrow to get the chemicals off and I’ll look into ammonia. But sadly I used all of the supplies I had so I’m probably not going to be able to afford replacing everything. (Just a reminder that my first cage had normal things in it. The pictures you see have much much less of what her original cage had). I’ll try to figure out something. Really should have thought all of this through before I decided to take her in. I guess I learned my lesson.
Chams are hard enough to care for when they're healthy. Unless you have the time, money,and experience a sick cham is 20x harder

Coccidia is your biggest worry and problem. If she had that almost nothing you will do will get rid of it. Bleach is a no go. I would just cut your loses with what she had in that enclosure and start fresh.
According to google:
Coccidia do not live for very long outside of the body. They may survive for a week in intact feces, but the parasites will die within a few days on clean surfaces that are exposed to direct sunlight

So I will probably just wait a few more weeks and clean the stuff again. Most of the bacteria should be dead and the few that are left should be farely weak. Needless to say I threw away the feces covered hammock so that (which would be the most bacteria ridden thing) shouldn’t be causing too many issues. And since she didn’t poop on anything I assume there shouldn’t be too much of the bacteria assuming she had it.

@SidneyJohnsonPhil don’t worry I’m not here to give you crap . I just want to say pet ins is so very very worth the money . We use nationwide it’s a very easy Application it’s around 11.00 a month . It will take 2 weeks to go into play . It cover most everything . Not fecal bit all meds if you need them .
I’ll look into it, and I’m sorry about not listening before, I was panicked and taking her to a vet wasn’t really an option. I should’ve just cut my losses.

I’ll look into it, and I’m sorry about not listening before, I was panicked and taking her to a vet wasn’t really an option. I should’ve just cut my losses.
We have been around for a bit . My first girl was in really rough shape . We had her for 4 years . We have taken in 2 others in need . As well as rescue 100s Of bearded dragons . I’m sorry you lost her . Caring for these babies is Advanced to begin with . It’s time consuming and expensive . Your keeping needs to be spot on or they suffer . Take your time , research , research and then research more . There’s so much to learn . Best of luck to you .

@SidneyJohnsonPhil don’t worry I’m not here to give you crap . I just want to say pet ins is so very very worth the money . We use nationwide it’s a very easy Application it’s around 11.00 a month . It will take 2 weeks to go into play . It cover most everything . Not fecal bit all meds if you need them .
I did not realize you could get this for Chams... Thank you for posting. I will be looking into this! :)

sorry I keep posting in this thread but given the situation with my previous Cham I think everything needs to be checked more carefully and you people seem to know this. The drainage system I used a while ago for my old chameleons is in the picture, it goes from this into a bucket that is dumped daily. Obviously I’m going to clean it very vigorously and replace the by vinyl tubes, but does it look decent? I also have holes at the bottom of the actual cage that leak the water into the ducts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 270
Back
Top Bottom