Chameleon Hydration and a Drinking Glass....?

My chams leave their free range regularly and then they spend lots of time on the ground. My Xanth even walks from his room to the olive tree outside and comes back again......got proof of it, they´re definitely not shy to walk on the ground.

Sorry wrong post, I meant this one

I was in petco one day a while back and they had a female Jackson’s there and she was perched on the edge of a full water dish and she kept submerging her head and shoulders and arms in the water but she wasn’t drinking, it was like she didn’t know what it was! I advised one of the workers that they should take it out of there and they said they’d check on it. They always get so defensive there whenever I try to explain chameleon husbandry to them!! Makes me so mad!

I was in petco one day a while back and they had a female Jackson’s there and she was perched on the edge of a full water dish and she kept submerging her head and shoulders and arms in the water but she wasn’t drinking, it was like she didn’t know what it was! I advised one of the workers that they should take it out of there and they said they’d check on it. They always get so defensive there whenever I try to explain chameleon husbandry to them!! Makes me so mad!
The employees might get their info from Spreddit. But it still sad to hear about

Arguing proper husbandry with chain pet store employees unfortunately won’t get you far. They have to follow the guidelines set down by corporate. Plus, for every one of us that tells them to get rid of the water bowl, there will be ten others asking why the chameleons don’t have a water bowl. Only solution is for them not to sell any animals…but that won’t happen. :(

Arguing proper husbandry with chain pet store employees unfortunately won’t get you far. They have to follow the guidelines set down by corporate. Plus, for every one of us that tells them to get rid of the water bowl, there will be ten others asking why the chameleons don’t have a water bowl. Only solution is for them not to sell any animals…but that won’t happen. :(

That’s a good point about other people asking why don’t they have a water bowl.

I don’t really mind if I see them with a water dish at the pet store, as long as it’s clean. Ours always have it so the dripper goes into the dish. I’m not in those stores often, but the main issue I have is that they’ll usually keep a few in a cage together, which isn’t that large to begin with. They are small jueveniles, but still not great. Misters and removal of bark chips would be nice too….

Arguing over anything won’t get you far(and I can love to argue lol). The second it goes from friendly conversation sharing different views… to a 2 sided ego contest, all respect for the other’s views goes out the window. Now problem with animal husbandry in pet stores is, you’re probably not seeing employees often enough to casually suggest changes like they’re you’re friends... So you’re left to just telling them right away that something is wrong which doesn’t turn out well most of the time, even when being nice about it.

Back
Top Bottom