Chameleon Hydration and a Drinking Glass....?

Okay. Sorry that this is the nature of my first post: I just rescued a veiled adult chameleon not long ago, and I have gone down this rabbit hole on another discussion-based website that rhymes with spread it. I have this micro-community throwing lots of information out there while spouting that any outsiders are wrong. More concerningly, the founder of this community claims to have invented a new way to hydrate chameleons (a drinking glass...) because everything else causes bacterial growth, infections, and DEATH! DEATH! DEATH! Bacteria lives on nearly everything, so shouldn't they be cleaning and sanitizing the materials regularly? I volunteer at an aquarium and we are supposed to switch out, clean, and disinfect most objects that the animals come into contact with.
I'm not saying that this is a bad idea, but it is undoubtedly a suspicious one. I am a bio student so I often browse any peer-reviewed research articles I can find for free when I'm learning about husbandry. There are plenty of other herp species that do just fine with manual misting and well maintained systems. This technique is nowhere to be found, yet, the individual says this is so because they have been "going against the chameleon religion" since the early 2000's. I just can't trust any other information they give to me because of the self righteous attitude and the fact that this is the only community online that spreads this. Tell me this is crazy!!

:rolleyes: Umm…yeah…we don’t do the drinking glass for chameleons here. Well, maybe some members secretly do it, but it’s not something we advocate for. We hydrate by misting the safe live plants (that were carefully cleaned and rinsed prior to placing in with our chams). You’ll find the most accurate and up to date husbandry standards here. https://chameleonacademy.com/
Ugh thank you. I was getting tired of feeling overwhelmingly judged every time I made a post! They gave unsolicited advice when all I posted was a photo of my cham, not the enclosure. So I've been in a bit of a panic the last few days trying to figure out what is right or wrong for my girl. She has ignored the water glasses lol

I too have been going against the fascist chameleon religion taking place on these forums. I don’t believe in feeding my chameleons live insects, I do the baby bird method… I chew up the insects and regurgitate them into my chameleons mouth. This minimizes bacteria transfer because of something, I assure you.

Ugh thank you. I was getting tired of feeling overwhelmingly judged every time I made a post! They gave unsolicited advice when all I posted was a photo of my cham, not the enclosure. So I've been in a bit of a panic the last few days trying to figure out what is right or wrong for my girl. She has ignored the water glasses lol
We try not to judge very much as long as the chameleons basic needs are met. It’s much better to educate if someone shows a lack of knowledge. In the situation of the drinking glass of water, I’ll tell you that chameleons don’t recognize standing water as water and it’s not a natural way for them to drink. They do not come down from their safe trees/bushes to lap up water at a pond. There is a risk of bacterial contamination with a glass of water as well (similar to fountains) that the chameleon may poop in it, stray feeders may drown in it, etc. Additionally for small or baby chameleons, there is a risk that they may fall in and drown. If you understand all of this but for whatever reasons insist that your chameleon drink from a glass, I might secretly get frustrated and think you’re an idiot, but hey, you do you.

We try not to judge very much as long as the chameleons basic needs are met. It’s much better to educate if someone shows a lack of knowledge. In the situation of the drinking glass of water, I’ll tell you that chameleons don’t recognize standing water as water and it’s not a natural way for them to drink. They do not come down from their safe trees/bushes to lap up water at a pond. There is a risk of bacterial contamination with a glass of water as well (similar to fountains) that the chameleon may poop in it, stray feeders may drown in it, etc. Additionally for small or baby chameleons, there is a risk that they may fall in and drown. If you understand all of this but for whatever reasons insist that your chameleon drink from a glass, I might secretly get frustrated and think you’re an idiot, but hey, you do you.
Whenever somebody questions it they basically give the "just trust me bro it just works" response. They have no evidence of this working besides a few testimonials- so I call total B.S. I'm glad that you guys aren't like this, and I'm glad I question everything.

I was thinking these people at least were putting a fresh glass in during the day, no? Or are they just leaving a dirty cup of water in there lol. Not that I’d even want to put a fresh glass in each day, seems dumb, but at least it’d be fresh 🤷🏻‍♂️

I too have been going against the fascist chameleon religion taking place on these forums. I don’t believe in feeding my chameleons live insects, I do the baby bird method… I chew up the insects and regurgitate them into my chameleons mouth. This minimizes bacteria transfer because of something, I assure you.
Oh man, the Baby Bird Method? Nah dude I trained my chameleon to crawl into the kitchen and cook the whole family a dinner. That way he can do everything the sanitary way and prevent infection, totally natural.

On a side note, people are always freaked out by bacteria. Especially in microbiology people are shocked/terrified at the amount of bacteria in and on everything… if anything that makes me even more relaxed about it, if there is so much everywhere and we’re not just all dropping like flies, then it’s probably not a big deal in most cases. The bacteria you want to look out for is the stuff that takes over in an optimal environment for it(like dirty standing water with no aeration). I mean water in general can carry stuff, but especially in this case you’re upping the risk. Or when it’s getting into open wounds or somewhere that wouldn’t normally have certain types of bacteria

On a side note, people are always freaked out by bacteria. Especially in microbiology people are shocked/terrified at the amount of bacteria in and on everything… if anything that makes me even more relaxed about it, if there is so much everywhere and we’re not just all dropping like flies, then it’s probably not a big deal in most cases. The bacteria you want to look out for is the stuff that takes over in an optimal environment for it(like dirty standing water with no aeration). I mean water in general can carry stuff, but especially in this case you’re upping the risk. Or when it’s getting into open wounds or somewhere that wouldn’t normally have certain types of bacteria
Exactly. Many would be surprised at how many harmless and helpful species there are. I think it is interesting to see the opposite opinion in the fish community, bacteria cultures are crucial to a healthy tank. Serious infections are gonna be from poor overall husbandry, with proper hygiene you cut out a lot of risks. "Ohhh nooo the plant droplets harbor bacteria :(" dudes..... there's bacteria in your buttcrack too. Just clean it...

I ❤️ microfauna

I keep a big hibiscus in the cage, not only do I mist, after I shut the heat lights off for 20 mins to reduce heat with moister. I keep a dripper ( water bottle with a pinhole) on top of the cage to where it makes it’s way down the leaves and collects in the base of the plant pot so there’s not to much water everywhere. I do that after I mist so everythings glistening and attracts them to drink, then the 10-15 mins of slow drips to keep ‘em drinking.

Okay. Sorry that this is the nature of my first post: I just rescued a veiled adult chameleon not long ago, and I have gone down this rabbit hole on another discussion-based website that rhymes with spread it. I have this micro-community throwing lots of information out there while spouting that any outsiders are wrong. More concerningly, the founder of this community claims to have invented a new way to hydrate chameleons (a drinking glass...) because everything else causes bacterial growth, infections, and DEATH! DEATH! DEATH! Bacteria lives on nearly everything, so shouldn't they be cleaning and sanitizing the materials regularly? I volunteer at an aquarium and we are supposed to switch out, clean, and disinfect most objects that the animals come into contact with.
I'm not saying that this is a bad idea, but it is undoubtedly a suspicious one. I am a bio student so I often browse any peer-reviewed research articles I can find for free when I'm learning about husbandry. There are plenty of other herp species that do just fine with manual misting and well maintained systems. This technique is nowhere to be found, yet, the individual says this is so because they have been "going against the chameleon religion" since the early 2000's. I just can't trust any other information they give to me because of the self righteous attitude and the fact that this is the only community online that spreads this. Tell me this is crazy!!
Chameleons are tree dwellers hence their splayed hands and feet. They will not go to the forest floor and drink water that is pooled there. No they stst in the trees and drink the rain water or dew off of the leaves which is what we try to replicate in their cages! i think whomever was telling you to dydrate with a glass has had too many shots or got into the magic mushrooms!

Here it goes again 😂 It makes sense why they auto ban when you reference here. Ugh they are frustratingly upsetting. Not only the lack of discussion but general responses you get from mods when you dont even want there help!!
They have added a new feature to the spreadit app that allows to you have discussions with just audio. I actually spoke with this guy! It was pretty one-sided. They were nice but whenever someone asked a question he went off on a tangent. You can actually listen to this discussion after the fact if I share the link. I feel bad for the newer keepers like myself who are struggling and the group responds by making them feel dumb.

I thought these forums and spreadit were designed to ask questions and get answers not to tell you that if you don't have a glass of water in enclosure your going to kill your cham.
It's all about ego. The guy described how at a reptile expo all the other vendors were selling misting systems with their chams while he was giving away drinking glasses with every cham purchase... "Competitors" kept coming up to him telling him to stop. He thought it was because they wanted to sell misters. It was really because they thought he was an idiot.

It's all about ego. The guy described how at a reptile expo all the other vendors were selling misting systems with their chams while he was giving away drinking glasses with every cham purchase... "Competitors" kept coming up to him telling him to stop. He thought it was because they wanted to sell misters. It was really because they thought he was an idiot.
unfortunately in his mind this is so the breeders can make money off someone elses invention.. F**p is flipping crazy.

That guy is insane... usually, when someone says they are going against a non-existant religion, they have a pitifully weak intellect which can be overwhelmed by even the smallest ego. He has an ego to boot, so he is a lost cause.

Back
Top Bottom