Chameleon hesitant when placing his hind legs

Hey guys so Renley's having some problems lately with his hind legs. While moving he will hold on with three limbs but when it comes to placing his last hind leg sometimes he will just hold it over the branch and hover over it as if he doesn't know where the branch is or where to place his foot. Just to experiment a little I would push that foot that was doing this down onto the branch to see what he would do and sometimes he would grip it automatically but sometimes he would not close his foot around it and leave it hanging in the air.

He was acting strange lately but he then went through a shed, so I just thought it was cause of that. But this needs attention. Is it gout/high uric acid or somehow possibly MBD? His legs are not bent but it is hard to tell if they are swollen at the joints.

The only other thing I can think of is that I bought my arcadia lights 7 months ago and I guess it's possible that the lights dead but they're supposed to last for a year.

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
- Year old Male Panther Chameleon, in my care for 9 months.
• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
- Moving him from cage to free range, maybe 2 times a day.
• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
- Feeds on crickets most of the time. I occasionally order silkworms and hornworms. They are gutloaded on fresh fruits and veggies with cricket crack and repashy superload sprinkled on them.
• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
- Repashy calcium plus at every other feeding. He eats every other day. Also gets repashy vit a once a month
• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
- Mistking timed for 3x a day for 2min each. Also drinks out of a bottle cap with a leaf glued to it. I see him drink.
• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
- Has been tested and treated for parasites. Pooping every 3-4 days now..
• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
- Had eye problems in early August lasted at least from 7-28th.

Cage Info:
• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
- Reptibreeze 2x2x4 screen
• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
- Arcadia 6% T5 24W UVB bulb, 6.5k Growlight and a 60w Basking bulb. Lights are on from 7am-7pm
• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
- Temp at basking spot is 86F, Ambient temp is 76 , lowest overnight temp is 74F, measure temps with a digital temp probe
• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
- Humidity level stays around 65% spikes when misters go off. Use the probe for this as well
• Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
- Umbrella as main plant, also have a hanging pothos
• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
- Cage is located in a corner in our dining room/kitchen. The bottom of his cage is at least 4ft off the ground and almost hits the roof. Air vent is nearby but far away
photo 1 (3).jpg
photo 2 (3).jpg

Last edited:
IMHO I don't see a major problem here. He isn't falling, isn't having eye problems, is eating, drinking, responsive to his environment right? He has a strong grip still? No visual signs of MBD apparently. One thing you could do to pick up joint swelling is compare older pictures to current ones. Look at his limbs to see if they have changed over time.

This hind leg thing could be a behavioral quirk.

Thanks Carlton I appreciate the response. His grip does seem just a tad weak but it's not like its nonexistent. I have millions of photos of him so I'll take a look at some of the old ones, although he is my first chameleon and I just take the size of his limbs as how much he's grown. But you're right he's still pretty much as healthy as can be.

Back
Top Bottom