Chameleon HELP

Rickle

Hello Cham Forums,

I need some help on my veiled chameleon. This is my first reptile/pet first and Im having some issues. Her name is Jerry (I thought it was a male when giving the name). Her left eye is shut and seems to have something inside of it. She isn't eating or drinking much and she very skinny along with the tail and spine.

Your chameleon: 2 years old veiled chameleon

Handling: Never, swells up and hisses. Very angry when approaching the cage

Feeding: I only feed it crickets along with calcium with D3. She eats about 6-8 a day and moves away when done. Ive tried some strawberries and oranges in the past but won't consume. I usually let the crickets roam the cage or put into a cup when covered in powder.

Supplements: Every other day I use Zoo Med Calcium with D3

Watering: I usually mist the whole cage once a day along with the fake plants for drinking but never mist the actual chameleon

Fecal Description: Never tested for parasites but her poop is always moist and tightly compacted along with white pee right along the poop.

History: I got her when she was very young at my local Petsmart

Cage Info: Exo terra 18"x18"x24" glass enclosure (Made a vivarium with fake plants and frog moss ground/ coconut shaving for the walls/ Vine tops and cork bark around the cage)

Lighting: 100 wt bulb/ 75 wt bulb UVB 5.0 bulb = 85 degrees with a basking off 90 degrees (multiple bulbs due too very cold room)

Humidity: 58

Nigh-time: All lights are off and about 55-60 degrees.

Plants: Artificial plants

Placement: Room

Current Problem: Very skinny and won't shed. Bones are visible throughout body but she is still green. Left eye looks little crusty but continue to open and shut. Likes to lay down the base off the cage. Has not shed in awhile and am very concerned and too tiny for her age. I thought I was doing everything right. I feel terrible doing this to my chameleon. Nearest Vet is an hour away and money is tight. If anyone can help, Thank you!

Few issues here, has she ever laid eggs, do you provide a lay bin?

You shouldn't be supplementing D3 every other day, she is probably over dosing. D3+Phos free Calcium every feeding, D3+Multivitamin twice a month.

Is there any screen at all? Glass enclosures generally aren't recommended. Does she do anything else abnormal? Bubbles in mouth or nostrils?

55 is a little cold at night, and 90 is a touch hot (for an adult female) for a basking spot.

Her eye could be due to stuck shed if she is having trouble shedding, but could also be many other things. Sounds like there is a lot going on here though.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Please post pics of cham and setup.

5A9A607B-9793-48FE-8CA1-14F10C47808E.jpeg

Few issues here, has she ever laid eggs, do you provide a lay bin?

You shouldn't be supplementing D3 every other day, she is probably over dosing. D3+Phos free Calcium every feeding, D3+Multivitamin twice a month.

Is there any screen at all? Glass enclosures generally aren't recommended. Does she do anything else abnormal? Bubbles in mouth or nostrils?

55 is a little cold at night, and 90 is a touch hot (for an adult female) for a basking spot.

Her eye could be due to stuck shed if she is having trouble shedding, but could also be many other things. Sounds like there is a lot going on here though.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Please post pics of cham and setup.
She still looks like a baby and I’m freaking out because that’s not how she’s suppose to looks like. She has never laid eggs. There is a screen at the top where the lighting is coming from and she sometimes goes up there for air flow. No bubbles or anything from the mouth or nose.

Oh no please go to the vet ASAP. She needs more then advice. I suggest reading up on that care sheet and making the required changes. I hope it is not too late. Make sure you let them know she has never laid eggs.

She still looks like a baby and I’m freaking out because that’s not how she’s suppose to looks like. She has never laid eggs. There is a screen at the top where the lighting is coming from and she sometimes goes up there for air flow. No bubbles or anything from the mouth or nose.
I occasionally leave s
She needs to see the vet immediately and you need to read upon the care sheet they have in this website https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
Okay I will do that then, thank you very much. I really appreciate the fast feedback.

Your chameleon is extremely sick. She does not have much time left. There are elements of your husbandry that are very off, please read the care sheet. Based off of some of the info you gave, I would bet there are parasites involved, but a fecal from the vet would be needed to know 100%

Your chameleon is extremely sick. She does not have much time left. There are elements of your husbandry that are very off, please read the care sheet. Based off of some of the info you gave, I would bet there are parasites involved, but a fecal from the vet would be needed to know 100%
Okay thank you! I feel terrible :(

I know you said the vet is an hour away and money is tight, but this is really her only hope at this point.

Hi she looks like she may have something called mb
Hi she looks like she may have something called MBD I wood take her to a vet if was you?

Back
Top Bottom