Chameleon heating/ lighting

@GwynT said..."Unless your house gets extremely cold (think sub 60F), you don't need heat. You need a linear UVB bulb for UVB during the day, and no light at night"...I think this comment needs a clarification...you don't need heat AT NIGHT unless your house gets extremely cold...you definitely need a UVB light and a basking light during the day (for veileds and Panthers and a lot of other species...caution with babies).

Hello guys! I have my lighting sorted out! The cham didn't have the best reaction to a ceramic heat emitter, so I bought i higher heat light. I purchased a 72 watt soft white incandescent light and he seems to have a much more positive reaction to that light and his colors lightened up so much! I still think his colors are a bit dark but i think I have some ideas on why that is (Dehydration) so all is well with my lighting! Thanks for all the help guys!

Hello guys! I have my lighting sorted out! The cham didn't have the best reaction to a ceramic heat emitter, so I bought i higher heat light. I purchased a 72 watt soft white incandescent light and he seems to have a much more positive reaction to that light and his colors lightened up so much! I still think his colors are a bit dark but i think I have some ideas on why that is (Dehydration) so all is well with my lighting! Thanks for all the help guys!

Do you know what the temps are in the basking site?

Ceramic infrared heat emitters are quite amazing, especially if things cool down too much in the room that you keep your chameleon in at night. The heat emitter puts out no light so keeps the chameleon sleeping and cozy. A natural drop in temperature at night is a good idea as long as you do not go too low. (Each species can handle different levels of low temperatures).
Do you use these during the day as well for indoors?Im considering buying one as I am very very sick of constantly replacing house bulbs.

OK with that said Im buying. What wattage do you use? I hve a giant dragon strand atrium and Ive found that its harder to keep things warmer with a larger cage.
I have an entire big room dedicated to chameleon! With all the lights in the room I actually have the opposite problem in the summer! I have to work at cooling the room! Lol.

If you were to get a 60 to a 100 W and use it with a thermostat. You should be fine after you tune it in.

I have an entire big room dedicated to chameleon! With all the lights in the room I actually have the opposite problem in the summer! I have to work at cooling the room! Lol.

If you were to get a 60 to a 100 W and use it with a thermostat. You should be fine after you tune it in.
question, what temperature controller do you use ?

Thanks for sharing your chameleon’s reaction to the ceramic heater! I have been on the fence about them and I think they would just be a failsafe on cold nights to maintain minimum temperatures.

All I use for heat is the ceramic heat emitters. I put them such that they cast their heat right under the uvb light on the branch directly under the light where the chameleons like to bask. I never have any problems! It is all in hearing it towards chameleon nature/instinct.

All I use for heat is the ceramic heat emitters. I put them such that they cast their heat right under the uvb light on the branch directly under the light where the chameleons like to bask. I never have any problems! It is all in hearing it towards chameleon nature/instinct.
mine bask directly uderneath them no problem. Im not sure why they are so hated in the chameleon Facebook groups. They get the light spectrums they need for double or quad T5 fixtures. They have been wonderful for me past few months.

Sorry to hop onto this post with a question. But i have a nosy faly. What temp at night should i strive for, for him?

Sorry to hop onto this post with a question. But i have a nosy faly. What temp at night should i strive for, for him?
really whatever room temp is at night should be fine. Unless you have a room that slips into 50's you may want to consider night time heat source.

My vet recommended getting rid of my heat blub and buy a ceramic heat emitter and rely on the UVB for his lighting, opinions?

Sorry to ask I need help with my cham he has been falling all day and sleeping during the day. I'm getting really nervous I've been using the big 60 watt light since day 1 and feeding him over 8+ crickets a day. I think his nails prevent him from gripping on to the screen around his cage Im really scared now. Or it might be because of the light maybe he isn't getting the right amount required.

Sorry to ask I need help with my cham he has been falling all day and sleeping during the day. I'm getting really nervous I've been using the big 60 watt light since day 1 and feeding him over 8+ crickets a day. I think his nails prevent him from gripping on to the screen around his cage Im really scared now. Or it might be because of the light maybe he isn't getting the right amount required.
First, what is your UVB bulb? Tube or coil? What is your supplement like? And do you have a temperature gun to check the temps?

Start your own thread and fill out the ask for help form when you do

Back
Top Bottom