Chameleon health

Hi so I'm new to chameleons and really want one, however whats been putting me off is people saying they get sick and die easliy. If I was to have a good setup and do everything to what is required, are they likely to stay healthy.

Welcome to the forum. Even with the perfect husbandry and environment things can happen. A small bite from a feeder to the mouth can cause mouth rot. Which then needs treatment. Prolapses can happen. egg binding can happen. As with any animal there are always things that can happen.

They are not an easy animal to care for. I would say if you have the money to set up everything perfectly. And most importantly if you have a good reptile vet near you then it is worth it. But just go in with an open mind and wallet.

This husbandry program will walk you through proper set up. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Let us know what questions you have.

I've always wanted one, but thought I should get something like a bearded dragon or something, but my heart wants a chameleon, I feel the bearded would live a long time and I don't want to have lots of reptiles at once, I have 3 cats as well lol, so gonna have to keep them away. They are more watch rather than attack cats, would they cause am issue.

Welcome to the forum. Even with the perfect husbandry and environment things can happen. A small bite from a feeder to the mouth can cause mouth rot. Which then needs treatment. Prolapses can happen. egg binding can happen. As with any animal there are always things that can happen.

They are not an easy animal to care for. I would say if you have the money to set up everything perfectly. And most importantly if you have a good reptile vet near you then it is worth it. But just go in with an open mind and wallet.

This husbandry program will walk you through proper set up. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Let us know what questions you have.
Do you think insurance is a good idea then, cause I wouldn't want to be paying insurance if its a one time thing, would reptile vets charge more then like 200 pounds for a problem like mouth rot. If so I guess I'll need insurance.

Do you think insurance is a good idea then, cause I wouldn't want to be paying insurance if its a one time thing, would reptile vets charge more then like 200 pounds for a problem like mouth rot. If so I guess I'll need insurance.
Insurance can be a good thing... As with any insurance it is the just in case feature of it. Vet bills can get very expensive. I had to pay $350 US dollars just for blood work and the office visit.

I've always wanted one, but thought I should get something like a bearded dragon or something, but my heart wants a chameleon, I feel the bearded would live a long time and I don't want to have lots of reptiles at once, I have 3 cats as well lol, so gonna have to keep them away. They are more watch rather than attack cats, would they cause am issue.
Kitties are predators and can be stressful. I think the key is to have the cham cage up high so he is several feet above where they can climb, and lock them out at night or when you aren't home.

Kitties are predators and can be stressful. I think the key is to have the cham cage up high so he is several feet above where they can climb, and lock them out at night or when you aren't home.
That's why I wanted to avoid a complete mesh enclosure, mabye I should get a dehumidifier, if it's gonna be too humid I'll have to measure the humidity in that room and go from there.

Having cats around is totally dependent on their personalities. I got my daughter a kitten a month ago and he is an avid hunter. I have to keep my door closed at all times unless I am in the room to make sure he does not go after the chameleon. Weird things have set him off. He particularly becomes more interested when my misting system goes on. Then there is the fact that my chameleon was raised having a dog around so he will actually go down to the bottom of the cage to watch the dog and cat play. Not the best thing when the cat is infatuated with the chameleon. So I am always watching and on guard... I am actually looking at getting a full cat gate that will go into my door once the cat gets bigger so there will be no way for him to get in and I will have airflow. But these are pricey lol.

Having cats around is totally dependent on their personalities. I got my daughter a kitten a month ago and he is an avid hunter. I have to keep my door closed at all times unless I am in the room to make sure he does not go after the chameleon. Weird things have set him off. He particularly becomes more interested when my misting system goes on. Then there is the fact that my chameleon was raised having a dog around so he will actually go down to the bottom of the cage to watch the dog and cat play. Not the best thing when the cat is infatuated with the chameleon. So I am always watching and on guard... I am actually looking at getting a full cat gate that will go into my door once the cat gets bigger so there will be no way for him to get in and I will have airflow. But these are pricey lol.
My older 2 are very chill just relaxed cats, my younger one is more crazy due to having some wild dna if you know what I mean lol. So they love my room and I wouldn't want to lock them out but I can see why it would be a major risk for the chameleon.

My older 2 are very chill just relaxed cats, my younger one is more crazy due to having some wild dna if you know what I mean lol. So they love my room and I wouldn't want to lock them out but I can see why it would be a major risk for the chameleon.
Yeah I have a hybrid cage but the front has screen on the bottom panel and then clear vinyl on the door so I do not risk anything with this beast. lol

Back
Top Bottom