Chameleon has red hands?

Nathann18

Hi , so recently I’ve noticed my chameleons hands to be red from under . She is also always turning dark with stripes and dots as well. I feed her 3-4 meal worms covered in d-3 daily ( some meal worms are covered others not) and her enclosure temp ranges from 70-80 and the humidity 65-80 normally .

Attachments

• F2CB7FDE-CBE9-4B78-9796-0B13722049F6.jpeg
    F2CB7FDE-CBE9-4B78-9796-0B13722049F6.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 100
Ok so there is alot that you need to fix and the more educated people will help but for starters, can she climb onto the top? They might be burns

Please answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum so we can check your husbandry.

As for the feet...is there anything your chameleon climbs on that the dye could have leached out of?

Please fill this out :) (y)
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Like the woodchips at the bottom.
Actually maybe , she does have this ladder made of different color wood sticks. Could the color possibly be lifting from the moisture of her feet or when I mist the cage? There are also green and blue sticks though so I’m thinking those would’ve colored her feet too if that was the case?

You really need to fill out the sheet that Fchamel posted to get ur husbandry fixed, you should not be feeding meal worms at all there are other feeder alternatives, you also need variation in the bugs your feeding. You should be dusting the bugs with calcium WITHOUT d3 every feeding except when you alternate with calcium with d3 or a multivitamin twice a month. Sounds a little confusing but once you fill out the sheet, we can clarify in more detail ?

Please fill this out :) (y)
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
She is a veiled chameleon , I am unsure of her age or sex when we bought her at petco they didn’t give us any of that information
She’s been in my care for about 4 weeks now
I try not to carry her too much just because I know it upsets them but I would say once every 2 days or every other day.
I normally feed her around noon 3-4 worms depending on the size of them ( I buy the small ones ) roll them around in calcium powder with d3. I would say only 1 or 2 of the worms End up getting dusted a fair amount
For the water I have a dripper which drips near the leaves of her plant so she can either get it off the dripper or in the bowl at the bottom where the water is collected. I’ve seen her stand on the bowl a few times so I’m guessing she was drinking.
The cage is a glass / screen combo, I keep the lighting on all day unless I see the temp getting too hot. I mist her cage at least twice a day and let it dry in between , but I also have the dripper always dripping water onto the leaves. The plants are artificial plants , she also has a mesh climbing toy attached to the side and a ladder on the opposite side of the cage

She is a veiled chameleon , I am unsure of her age or sex when we bought her at petco they didn’t give us any of that information
I try not to carry her too much just because I know it upsets them but I would say once every 2 days or every other day.
I normally feed her around noon 3-4 worms depending on the size of them ( I buy the small ones ) roll them around in calcium powder with d3. I would say only 1 or 2 of the worms End up getting dusted a fair amount
For the water I have a dripper which drips near the leaves of her plant so she can either get it off the dripper or in the bowl at the bottom where the water is collected. I’ve seen her stand on the bowl a few times so I’m guessing she was drinking.
The cage is a glass / screen combo, I keep the lighting on all day unless I see the temp getting too hot. I mist her cage at least twice a day and let it dry in between , but I also have the dripper always dripping water onto the leaves. The plants are artificial plants , she also has a mesh climbing toy attached to the side and a ladder on the opposite side of the cage
What uvb do u have?

She is a veiled chameleon , I am unsure of her age or sex when we bought her at petco they didn’t give us any of that informationYou’re calling your Cham a “she”.
I normally feed her around noon 3-4 worms depending on the size of them ( I buy the small ones ) roll them around in calcium powder with d3. This is probably too much d3, even if your uvb is insufficient. There are several acceptable supplementation regimes, and I would encourage you to look into all of them. At this point, however, I would recommend a product called “repashy calcium plus LoD.” You use it as a dust at every feeding, and will work for a veiled chameleon, until you have a firmer grasp on supplementation techniques, and what works best for you. I would say only 1 or 2 of the worms End up getting dusted a fair amount
For the water I have a dripper which drips near the leaves of her plant (that you speak of “her plant” in the singular makes me think her enclosure doesn’t have enough foliage). so she can either get it off the dripper or in the bowl at the bottom where the water is collected. Probably best to get rid of any bowl where standing water can collect. I’ve seen her stand on the bowl a few times so I’m guessing she was drinking.Probably not.
The cage is a glass / screen combo, What do you mean here? Glass on three sides and screen on top? Brand, pics. I keep the lighting on all day unless I see the temp getting too hot. This is not an efficient way to light your enclosure. Uvb bulbs should be on a timer: on 12 hours, off 12 hours. Basking bulbs can be on for the first 4 hours a day. All lights should turn off at the same time every night. I mist her cage at least twice a day A dripper during the day is good. Try misting just before lights on, just after lights off, and just as you go to bed. Low humidity during the day, 100% humidity at night. and let it dry in between , but I also have the dripper always dripping water onto the leaves. Good. The plants are artificial plants This could be improved: live plants are almost always better. , she also has a mesh climbing toy attached to the side and a ladder on the opposite side of the cage You’re better off using a network of horizontal branches with a mass of live foliage in the mid section of the enclosure.
There are many husbandry points you haven’t answered here. What is your source of uvb? What temperature gradients are you getting? What humidity ranges are you seeing?

Actually maybe , she does have this ladder made of different color wood sticks. Could the color possibly be lifting from the moisture of her feet or when I mist the cage? There are also green and blue sticks though so I’m thinking those would’ve colored her feet too if that was the case?
If it’s dyed wood, and you’re misting it, then it’s unsurprising that only the red stands out. Your Cham displays varying shades of green and blueish green. It is unlikely that run off from these colours will show up as evidently as red.

Yea I just call her a she cause I needed something to call her lol. I don’t think she understands the difference anyway

Is it the one for birds? With hooks on top?

Try this experiment: Shortly after misting (but long before drying out) take a clean white paper towel or tissue, and rub it on the moist/wet colored sticks. If the dye comes off, that's probably the source. Check the undersides & backs too, where she's less likely to put her feet, and the dyes are less likely to wash away.

Try the same test on anything that may be dyed. painted, colored—even if not red. Sometimes colors (even black) can have a red component that will rub off, while the main color may not. Also test any branches.

Also, what plants are in the enclosure? Now I'm wondering about reactions rather than direct coloring or dying.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom