Chameleon has black patch down one side

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum but looking for some advice. I have a pet veiled chameleon (Karma his name is) he's about 3 years old. He eats about 3 to 4 hoppers a day, give him calcium once a week, but since noticing the mark on his side he has stopped eating properly, sometimes 2 a day and sometimes none. He lives in a mesh viv with wood branches and artificial plants and a water plant dripper. He's a very friendly guy, never had any issues with him hissing, loves being handled and stuff. Really concerned about the marks on him, his other side is fine so wondered if it's maybe some sort of burn from his heat lamps, if so can anyone recommend how to look after it and deal with it and get him better?? He still seems in good spirits but with him not eating the same and stuff. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've attached pics too so you can see what the marks look like. Thanks in advance for any advice. Ally
DSC_0333.JPG
DSC_0331.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0330.JPG
    DSC_0330.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 88
Having the lighting mounted inside the cage like that is really dangerous and compact UVB bulbs really are not recommended for these guys... I am leaning towards a burn because it looks more on the surface and not like a bruise but I am not 100% sure. I will tag in a few others. @Brodybreaux25 @jannb
100% thermal burn. With it being as big as it is he needs a vet. No doubt.

@
Having the lighting mounted inside the cage like that is really dangerous and compact UVB bulbs really are not recommended for these guys... I am leaning towards a burn because it looks more on the surface and not like a bruise but I am not 100% sure. I will tag in a few others. @Brodybreaux25 @jannb
Thanks for the reply, we've used the same bulbs and cage in his viv like that for years and he's never had any issues!! What bulbs would you recommend? I'll defo get him to the vet. Thanks again for the reply and the advice.

@

Thanks for the reply, we've used the same bulbs and cage in his viv like that for years and he's never had any issues!! What bulbs would you recommend? I'll defo get him to the vet. Thanks again for the reply and the advice.
Honestly I think you are lucky that this is the first issue. All lighting we put on the top of the cage to avoid direct contact and increase risk of a thermal burn. As far as UVB the compacts put out very little uvb so unless they are sitting on top of them they are not getting exposure. In the past compact bulbs have been linked to eye issues in chams as well. For uvb I would get a T5HO fixture that is the length of the cage and sitting directly on top of the cage. If it is a single bulb fixture then you need a 5.0 t5ho bulb for it. You should have his basking level no closer than 7-8 inches below the top screen

Here is a video that helped me to understand UVB lighting better.

But yeah get him to a reptile vet asap for the proper treatment of the burn.

Honestly I think you are lucky that this is the first issue. All lighting we put on the top of the cage to avoid direct contact and increase risk of a thermal burn. As far as UVB the compacts put out very little uvb so unless they are sitting on top of them they are not getting exposure. In the past compact bulbs have been linked to eye issues in chams as well. For uvb I would get a T5HO fixture that is the length of the cage and sitting directly on top of the cage. If it is a single bulb fixture then you need a 5.0 t5ho bulb for it. You should have his basking level no closer than 7-8 inches below the top screen

Here is a video that helped me to understand UVB lighting better.

But yeah get him to a reptile vet asap for the proper treatment of the burn.

Thanks so much for the advice. Can't believe we've had that set up for so long and not know it's been set up wrong, yet he's been fine all this time. Having a look online just now at getting a whole new set up with new uvb lights etc and starting him a fresh with it and get him to the vet too. Thank you for the help I really appreciate it

Thanks so much for the advice. Can't believe we've had that set up for so long and not know it's been set up wrong, yet he's been fine all this time. Having a look online just now at getting a whole new set up with new uvb lights etc and starting him a fresh with it and get him to the vet too. Thank you for the help I really appreciate it
If his cage is not a 2x2x4 tall then I would upgrade that too. He will love the extra space. :) hope he recovers quickly.

If his cage is not a 2x2x4 tall then I would upgrade that too. He will love the extra space. :) hope he recovers quickly.

Thanks pal,
Just saw this online, looks like the t5 uvb set up you mentioned before, do you think this would be a better set up for him? Sorry for being a pain, just want to make sure my little guy is OK n stuff. If you could check out the link and let me know your thoughts that would be great. Thanks again. Ally

https://www.internetreptile.com/mesh-chameleon-setup-kit-adult-gold/

Just saw this online, looks like the t5 uvb set up you mentioned before, do you think this would be a better set up for him? Sorry for being a pain, just want to make sure my little guy is OK n stuff. If you could check out the link and let me know your thoughts that would be great. Thanks again. Ally

https://www.internetreptile.com/mesh-chameleon-setup-kit-adult-gold/
Ok so right idea but you need a 6% bulb. That one comes with a 12% which will be too strong for him. But cage is right on that and the basking fixtures.

Ok so right idea but you need a 6% bulb. That one comes with a 12% which will be too strong for him. But cage is right on that and the basking fixtures.
Thanks pal, I'll get it ordered and order the bulbs separately to suit it. I'll get it ordered just now so it should come pretty quick. I'll let you know how it goes and how he gets on at the vet but I really can't thank you enough for the advice and help, thank you

Thanks pal, I'll get it ordered and order the bulbs separately to suit it. I'll get it ordered just now so it should come pretty quick. I'll let you know how it goes and how he gets on at the vet but I really can't thank you enough for the advice and help, thank you

Hi there,

Just wanted to give you an update on Karma. Had him at the vet and they just pretty much confirmed it was a burn, which we kinda already knew, he's been given anti-inflammatory and painkillers with some cream to help clear it up. Got him a whole new set up from internet reptile with the light and heat bulbs outside the viv and he seems so much happier in it now. Here's some pics of him now with the new set up. Think it'll take a while to heal up but can see a bit of a difference in him already but still a long way to go. Thanks again for all of your help and advice, you've been great. Thank you. Ally
DSC_0017.jpg
DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0018.jpg

Back
Top Bottom