Chameleon feeding options

Jc555

Hi this is just a forum on the discussion of right now i use a staple diet of mealworms for my veiled cham, im not here to get a ton of people to give me advice to switch that but my cham is about 5 months old and i was just wondering as i do plan to switch to crickets how often and how many mealworms, and crickets should i be feeding him? Currently i feed 8 mealworms everyday. Thanks.

I doubt you will find a care sheet encouraging you to feed any meal worms at all, or a serious chameleon keeper who will turn a blind eye on you feeding only meal worms! They are a bad ideal and all the serious chameleon keepers here will be tempted to attack you for even using it at all as a feeder. I personally feel that they are probably OK to feed once in a blue moon but only to feed one at a time.

Best answer I could give is to vary the diet as much as you can! Yes, mealworms are not a great feeder choice, but the more variety the better for your chameleon. At 5 months old I would still be offering more food than that unless there was a weight issue. My guy is 5 months right now and I am feeding him at least 8 large crickets, some black soldier flies, a couple hornworms and I tried superworms but he looks at me like "You expect me to eat that?!?" :D I will likely slow down the feeders at about 8 months or so, but time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom