Chameleon eye

Hannah04

Hey guys,

I haven't posted in a while, but I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I have had my male panther chameleon for about 2 years now. Just yesterday he started closing his left eye on and off. He is going through a shed right now but that is not normal for him. Today his eye is looking droopy and he will not open it (that I have seen)

I have tried spraying it with water and have saline solution on the way, in case there is a piece of shed in it.

What should I do?

Other than the eye thing he has been eating okay (little off from shedding, but the same as normal) and drinking fine..

Posting a picture could help us see the issue a little better. Also I think it could possible be just from shedding. We will see what the pros have to say :)

image.jpg

Hope this works..

Could be a vit A deficiency. Seems to be very common. I use vit A with palputate/retnyl gel caps. Not sure if I spelled that right. You can get them at your local vit store. Bust open a gel cap and put a little drop on a feeder. Do it about 3 times with 3-4 day gaps inbetween.
It's worked for me several times. Anytime I see an eye start to close for more than a day I treat right away. Dont wait because it will spread to the other eye quick.
Hope this helps.

Could be a vit A deficiency. Seems to be very common. I use vit A with palputate/retnyl gel caps. Not sure if I spelled that right. You can get them at your local vit store. Bust open a gel cap and put a little drop on a feeder. Do it about 3 times with 3-4 day gaps inbetween.
It's worked for me several times. Anytime I see an eye start to close for more than a day I treat right away. Dont wait because it will spread to the other eye quick.
Hope this helps.

Sorry can you clarify? Do you mean one drop wait 3 days and then another drop, for 3 days. Or 3 drops wait 3days then another 3 drops, for 3 days..

Just want to make sure I do it right..

Can they get too much?

Should be fine doing it that way. I just gave my panther his last dose tonight. He ate out of my hand for the first time. So that was kind of exciting.

If the Vitamin A does not work, then take him to a vet. You may need an antibiotic ointment. There could be an infection inside that you cannot see.

Thanks everyone,

The vet is definitely the next step, just didn't want to have to go since everything has been normal except for closing one eye.

He got 0.1cc of vitamin A, and I got his eye flushed out with saline solution. He started rubbing his eye after I flushed it.

Thanks for your help! Any other advice is always appreciated!

Hi, im sorry this does not look like a vitamin issue. The lumps on the bottom side of the turret indicates he more than likely has debris (not ruling out infection but i personally believe it is probably skin from a shed) in the turret. I would suggest getting him to a vet asap for removal.

Very nice picture.

That's not a vitamin issue. He's got an infection by the look of it in the turret. he'll need a vet and I'd ask for oral antibiotics. Trying to put an ointment into a chameleons eye might be helpful based on that picture. Make sure you use a solid reptile vet too.

Hi everyone,

I managed to get his eye flushed out 2 times yesterday and he got the 0.1cc of vitamin A. And I am happy to say that he looks SO much better today! I will try to post some pictures I took after lights on this morning :)
20150428_074214(0).jpg

The eye looks good now. It must have been debris inside his eye and it eventually was flushed out. I don't think it was a vitamin A deficiency.

Thank you! This morning he took a bit longer to open that eye, but not it is open and looks good again.

Yes continue with the vit A. I usually do it 3 times.
It's crazy how fast it works!! Even though it looks better don't stop treating.
I actually starting treating all mine with a single tiny drop about once every 3 months and I haven't seen any problems since with any of mine.
I'm so happy I could help out your little guy!!

Yes continue with the vit A. I usually do it 3 times.
It's crazy how fast it works!! Even though it looks better don't stop treating.
I actually starting treating all mine with a single tiny drop about once every 3 months and I haven't seen any problems since with any of mine.
I'm so happy I could help out your little guy!!

Thanks so much, I cannot believe how dramatic the change was over night

Back
Top Bottom