Chameleon eye concern

I am thinking baby has something in the eye. It would not be a UVB issue due to you running the T5HO at the right distance. And I highly doubt that a baby this young is having issues with Vitamin A.

So doctor gave me antibiotics eye drops he doesn’t think it’s an infection but gave me some anyways in case it may be a small small eye infection he said it’s hard to tell :/ cause he’s so small and he checked his mouth and seems good

Can you share pictures daily? Things go really fast when babies and a detailed list of feeding would help too. We can determine issues before they get out of hand if your little one is having problems. (y)

Attachments

• 0742DFF8-779B-4F5C-8F2E-080A705FBBAE.jpeg
    0742DFF8-779B-4F5C-8F2E-080A705FBBAE.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 33
  • 3839D403-5BFF-4991-8AE9-69981E82BA85.jpeg
    3839D403-5BFF-4991-8AE9-69981E82BA85.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 31
  • E420A7D9-ED57-43E4-99AC-712A92A96F90.jpeg
    E420A7D9-ED57-43E4-99AC-712A92A96F90.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 30
How is his eating?
Were both eyes the same at one point? Just making sure. (y)
Looks like the drops are making it a little crusty or there is some shed. His other eye looks good.
What is the name of the antibiotics? It is always tricky treating chameleons with meds.
Keep the pics coming- Reptiles heal really quick and even a few days on meds should show some improvement.

Keep up the good work.

How is his eating?
Looks like the drops are making it a little crusty or there is some shed. His other eye looks good.
What is the name of the antibiotics? It is always tricky treating chameleons with meds.
Keep the pics coming- Reptiles heal really quick and even a few days on meds should show some improvement.

Keep up the good
How is his eating?

Keep up the good work.
He eats every 3 to 4 days which I know is not good and the name of the eyedrops is ofloxacin and I want to say yes at one point they were both normal, but this happened very quickly after I got him from Petsmart which I know they don’t take good care of them. Supposedly he was at petsmart for two weeks. Wife saw him in the enclosure and said let’s get him outa there. She wanted to see the chameleon experience before our chameleon egg is hatched

Thanks for the info. Did you get the Chameleon 101 egg? we are all learning. (y)
Are you going to the Pomona Reptile Show?

Great! So you will have a Panther chameleon. JMHO They are very different in so many ways. But, you will have eye experience which is a plus.
They have a nice booth at the Show. You two can make it a mini vacation if you go. Be safe! (y) If you have any questions about what is there, you can ask. One of my threads even has pics from last year. Sorry, starting to get memory challenged and lazy. Enjoy!
Most important is the little guy you have now. :)

Did you switch out the fiberglass screen for aluminum screen on top of the cage? Something more is going on here.

If your up for it you could fill out the help form. Copy and paste it into your reply then answer with as much detail as possible. Include pics of the entire enclosure for me top down.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
--------------
Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

JMHO - First your baby is looking skinny and dehydrated.
I feed my 1 to 2 month olds- everyday 5 to 12 small crickets and a few fruitflies. Yes, they are pooping machines at this age.
I mist multiple times a day (I have the extra time). As adults I change diet to every other day. As babies I don't control the feeding, just want them to grow. :)
I will share personal post to your msgs. Don't give up. (y)

:( idk what’s going on this is his update today, getting oral medication tomorrow from vet

Attachments

• 26D808D3-C5D7-4F91-A98B-6B48F05F18A8.jpeg
    26D808D3-C5D7-4F91-A98B-6B48F05F18A8.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
If you haven’t had a full husbandry review yet, that’s what I would suggest. While it looks like baby has a nasty eye infection, there could also be more going on to contribute to it that could be helped.

Is what we are seeing crust from meds or infection oozing out?
How is the other eye?
When was the last time your baby ate? Very important to know exactly what was eaten and the last time (personally observed).
MissSkittles request will help others chime-in to assist.
JMHO- Daily pictures would help, since we all look for different things. (y) Picture of your egg would be nice too. :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom