Chameleon eye concern

I have some questions this morning. I notice kiwi on the left side his eye is not opening all the way and it looks different from his right eye which looks healthy. What is this ? Do I need to see a vet ?

Attachments

• 53FA62D4-2A37-40DE-8579-BB85B1004758.jpeg
    53FA62D4-2A37-40DE-8579-BB85B1004758.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 41
  • D79795E4-829E-4F1D-B6D5-E898E26CC181.jpeg
    D79795E4-829E-4F1D-B6D5-E898E26CC181.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 38
Could be the improper supplementation since you do not have a multivitamin, Could be something is in the eye and the misting sessions being 70 and 30 seconds are not long enough for baby to clear it, Double check UVB distance as well depending on bulb strength and or distance to basking this can create health issues.

Could be the improper supplementation since you do not have a multivitamin, Could be something is in the eye and the misting sessions being 70 and 30 seconds are not long enough for baby to clear it, Double check UVB distance as well depending on bulb strength and or distance to basking this can create health issues.
Ordered some vitamins on Amazon should be here today and a temp reader

Ordered some vitamins on Amazon should be here today and a temp reader
Did you order the ones that @MissSkittles gave you info for?

What UVB bulb strength are you using for your T5 fixture? What is the distance from the screen top to the branches below? What material is your screen top (take a pic of it)? Different screen reduces the UVB output of a bulb so this becomes an important factor when it comes to DIY cages.
Lastly what type of wood did you use to build the enclosure and did you seal the wood?

Did you order the ones that @MissSkittles gave you info for?

What UVB bulb strength are you using for your T5 fixture? What is the distance from the screen top to the branches below? What material is your screen top (take a pic of it)? Different screen reduces the UVB output of a bulb so this becomes an important factor when it comes to DIY cages.
Lastly what type of wood did you use to build the enclosure and did you seal the wood?
did clear coat to the wood to be water proof and yes I ordered the reptivite for the multivitamins and the uvb bulb reptisun 5.0 and is 24w about 7 inches away from branches, screen mesh on top

Last edited:
did clear coat to the wood to be water proof and yes I ordered the reptivite for the multivitamins and the uvb bulb reptisun 5.0 and is 24w about 7 inches away from branches, screen mesh on top
Is it the aluminum window screen that you used? With the UVB your using and a single bulb fixture you need 8-9 measured inches to the closest branches below the uvb. Closer puts them in a higher uvb exposure level. So it is important that the measurements are correct.
Make sure you got the reptivite with D3 version there are two types.

You can try to increase your misting time length. What your set at now really does not give the baby enough time to trigger a drinking response or time to clean and clear the eye if something is in it. I would bump up your morning misting to 2-3 minutes and see if that helps. If you do a late afternoon misting you could increase that as well.

Is it the aluminum window screen that you used? With the UVB your using and a single bulb fixture you need 8-9 measured inches to the closest branches below the uvb. Closer puts them in a higher uvb exposure level. So it is important that the measurements are correct.
Make sure you got the reptivite with D3 version there are two types.

You can try to increase your misting time length. What your set at now really does not give the baby enough time to trigger a drinking response or time to clean and clear the eye if something is in it. I would bump up your morning misting to 2-3 minutes and see if that helps. If you do a late afternoon misting you could increase that as well.
No, it’s not aluminum. It’s the one that is used on windows to keep bugs out. Planning on re-doing his terrarium a bit today.

No, it’s not aluminum. It’s the one that is used on windows to keep bugs out. Planning on re-doing his terrarium a bit today.
So is it the fiberglass material? If so you will want to switch this to the aluminum screen. The fiberglass window screen reduces the UVI level far too much.

Yep so keep doing the longer mistings morning and evening when temps are not as hot in the cage. This should help if there is something stuck. Then as soon as you get the multivitamin use it and then it will be used 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th only. Then calcium without D3 at all other feedings.

And lastly switch out the top screen material for aluminum so you can guarantee your UVI level at basking is correct.

So this is his eye today :( what should I do ? getting worried, he sucks it in and out a lot

Attachments

• 23ED95F6-512A-4210-9CE4-8B5199BD918A.jpeg
    23ED95F6-512A-4210-9CE4-8B5199BD918A.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 31
Ok is this dude acting cause I caught him climbing around and I tried for him to not see me and his eye looks good what in the world !!!

Attachments

• 0D71A0CB-42C4-4ED4-89D7-ECD68BB4606B.jpeg
    0D71A0CB-42C4-4ED4-89D7-ECD68BB4606B.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 27
If his eye problem is related to lack of vitamins, it will take a bit of time to resolve. When I got my panther who had a bad eye, we just had to let good husbandry and time take care of it. Sucking his eye in/out sounds like he’s cleaning it which is normal. When he’s sitting and feels safe, he can keep his irritated eye closed which probably feels better. As he’s moving around, he needs both eyes to be looking out for danger, food and predators.

Update on kiwi’s eye:( now closed for a few days what should I do ?

Attachments

• AD788D44-072F-4C3C-8317-9CFFB6CEB664.jpeg
    AD788D44-072F-4C3C-8317-9CFFB6CEB664.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom