Chameleon experience

Jevin

Chameleon Enthusiast
Not sure if this belongs in general, but just found out how to use the species experience function and scrolling through some other members experience just confirmed what I already knew, that I'm largely still...

A noob.

Although I have made sure to do my research to ensure the best care and still continue to learn through experience. Also difficult to remember some details from my first chameleon, but I a female veiled, as I didn't document her life that well. I honestly didn't even post her passing here as I felt I had failed her due to misinformation on care from the breeder I obtained her from. The breeder was a member on these forums but provided a her own caresheet which upon review was too heavy on feeding and supplements and ultimately shortened her life. She was my first reptile however and lived to be around 3-4 years of age. My second chameleon has an unknown hatch date, so my best guess is he's around 4 to 4.5 years old now. I'll have had him for four years come this October.

So despite being a noob respectively, I am proud of what I've manged to accomplish thus far.

Last edited:
All of us on here have been newbies at one point and most of us real oldies on here have learned at our chameleon's expense to some degree sadly. Good thing is that we are all learning.

I've kept chameleons for over 30 years and I'm still no expert...and never will be because the learning never stops.

Be proud!

I've been on here for about 13 or so years now, but I also keep learning, and like Kinyonga said, I've also learned some of those lessons at my chameleon's expense. It's fascinating to me how many commonly held beliefs have changed over the past few years as more and more keepers challenge them and strive to learn the "whys and hows" instead of just passing on the same advice. We've all been there and it seems like you are on a good path. Never stop asking questions and learning and your chameleons will benefit greatly.

Yeah, I've noticed that there has been a shift for D3 supplementation especially with the transition to T5HO UVB.

I've been keeping chameleons for 30+ years and haven't changed my D3 supplementation for at last 20 years.

When we had crap for lights it worked but now with decent lighting the need for D3 is far less. As lighting continues to improve maybe we won't need it at all eventually.

Back
Top Bottom