Chameleon ESCAPED AND LOST! Help PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have VHS tapes....I'm amazed.

Are there bigger files available? There are a number of images I'd like to really zoom in on and look at, but there's no way to get in close, these files are too small.

If so, and you would e-mail them to me, the ones I would like to look at more are 0483,0478,0499,505,0506,0507 and 0508.

I agree you should add a dripper to the free range.

I agree with the idea of isolating the room. (are you sure you family didn't just board the chameleon with a vet for a few days to get you to clean your room?) Once you "clear" any item, it should be either removed from the room or securely bagged (bag taped shut....none of these hangy, vinelike ties strings).

He could definitely have gone under the door. I see stuff now, is that there to block him? If not, you might tape paper, cardboard, fabric, plastic...anything really on the bottom so it does actually scrape the floor to close that gape for the time being.

On the "tracks in the dust" idea. That's a great idea. In fact, when a hamster gets lost, one thing they suggest you do is sprinkle flour across doorways so you can see if there are little footprints suggesting which room the critter's in. In your case, you might "ring" the free range.

You have VHS tapes....I'm amazed.

Are there bigger files available? There are a number of images I'd like to really zoom in on and look at, but there's no way to get in close, these files are too small.

If so, and you would e-mail them to me, the ones I would like to look at more are 0483,0478,0499,505,0506,0507 and 0508.
I will send those to you ASAP. I will also see if they can be enlarged. If not, ill re take the picture, except zoomed up.
I agree you should add a dripper to the free range.
Will do!
I agree with the idea of isolating the room. (are you sure you family didn't just board the chameleon with a vet for a few days to get you to clean your room?) Once you "clear" any item, it should be either removed from the room or securely bagged (bag taped shut....none of these hangy, vinelike ties strings).
Ill do that as well. Yeah, my mom and everyone know that the cham is missing.
He could definitely have gone under the door. I see stuff now, is that there to block him? If not, you might tape paper, cardboard, fabric, plastic...anything really on the bottom so it does actually scrape the floor to close that gape for the time being.
That stuff is there for two reasons.

1. That is the stuff i've emptied from my room to make it easier to search for him.

2. Its placed there so my cham wouldn't be able to slip under the door.
I will add tape or something there to close the gap!

On the "tracks in the dust" idea. That's a great idea. In fact, when a hamster gets lost, one thing they suggest you do is sprinkle flour across doorways so you can see if there are little footprints suggesting which room the critter's in. In your case, you might "ring" the free range.
That is honestly a fantastic idea, but I haven't found any foot prints. :(

Responses are in red. Ill send over those pictures now.

Okay, I sent enlarged pictures to your email. Thank you very much!

I am going to look in my sisters room right now.

edit: Not in my sisters room.... :(

I think its time to play wheres waldo?
or in this case, wheres the cham?

I suggest, take lots and lots of pictures of your entire room, then post them so people can play find the chameleon.

I think you shoudl remove everything from yor room, piece by piece, (minus the large furniture) and see if you find him.

I cant zoom in on pictures so I tried to put them in my own photos so that I could zoom but then picture is blurry. I will try to look anyway. From a glance it looks like those blinds you have pulled up (right hand side blind on left of it & inside the blinds may look to be a possibility.

I cant zoom in on pictures so I tried to put them in my own photos so that I could zoom but then picture is blurry. I will try to look anyway. From a glance it looks like those blinds you have pulled up (right hand side blind on left of it & inside the blinds may look to be a possibility.

I checked there. :\

For some reason he isn't where any of the sunny spots are.

edit: Im going to ask everyone an honest question. Tomorrow he will be going on 4 days without food or water. Do you think i'm too late? Honestly, I feel like a horrible owner.... If I find him, or if I get another one, I will have learned a valuable lesson and make sure his cage remains closed at all times..... :\

I believe you still have time. I would get and early start looking tomorrow morning, and keep that dripper running throughout the night.

No, he might still be fine. Dehydrated, sure, but probably still alive. You'd be really surprised. I once lost a gecko in the house and found her SEVEN MONTHS LATER living happily under the fridge, all grown up and chubby and healthy. She'd been living off of wild roaches probably and an occassional loose cricket. Who knows what she was drinking but she was obviously finding something. So don't be discouraged, these animals are tougher than we give them credit for.

First of all there has been alot of movement in there and he's not in his home, he's gonna be very nervous I'd imagine. As many have suggested removing items from your room until you locate the little guy might be the way to go now.

Remember he most likely will not be "hiding" behind furniture for long. Heat, light, water, and food are on his priority list and now hiding from all the movement. My original suggestion coupled with some others here many prove more useful.

Seal off the room, clear area's of the room leaving limited places to climb, black it out the room, dust various areas that lead to high vantage points, provide food at a variety of levels and locations as well as basking spots, lower the temps and close the door. Leave the room alone for several hours. Let things cool off and your little guy to get relaxed. When entering, look to your free range or basking sites. And spend a little time sitting still watching for the subtle movements.

First of all there has been alot of movement in there and he's not in his home, he's gonna be very nervous I'd imagine. As many have suggested removing items from your room until you locate the little guy might be the way to go now.

Remember he most likely will not be "hiding" behind furniture for long. Heat, light, water, and food are on his priority list and now hiding from all the movement. My original suggestion coupled with some others here many prove more useful.

Seal off the room, clear area's of the room leaving limited places to climb, black it out the room, dust various areas that lead to high vantage points, provide food at a variety of levels and locations as well as basking spots, lower the temps and close the door. Leave the room alone for several hours. Let things cool off and your little guy to get relaxed. When entering, look to your free range or basking sites. And spend a little time sitting still watching for the subtle movements.

I will do that for sure. Thank you.

I wish he was older so he would be bigger, more colorful, and attracted to females.

How bout picture #10 hanging on the wires down from the desk? I can't tell what that is but the shape is right. You should get some extra help but make sure they move themselves and things in your room slowly and carefully. I still think he'd be okay tomorrow and for a bit more maybe. Count those feeders in the bowl and see if any disappear. Keep dripper going if you can. Hoping the get on here tomorrow and see you've found him... don't give up. Maybe try some other rooms and areas as well.

Okay, I sent enlarged pictures to your email. Thank you very much!

I am going to look in my sisters room right now.

edit: Not in my sisters room.... :(

I didn't get them. You might have to send them 1 per e-mail. My e-mail has a max. attachment size of 10 megs and with current cameras, 2 pictures would exceed that.

If you can get them to me, then others could PM me for them, saving you that time away from your quest. Just a thought.

I like this suggestion, but maybe, if you can get the room dark and cool enough, wait another hour then go in (first turn the light off in the hall so opening the door doesn't disturb him) and use a flashlight to look for him. They are often easier to see in the dark because their sleeping colors are usually much lighter than normal.

How bout picture #10 hanging on the wires down from the desk? I can't tell what that is but the shape is right. You should get some extra help but make sure they move themselves and things in your room slowly and carefully. I still think he'd be okay tomorrow and for a bit more maybe. Count those feeders in the bowl and see if any disappear. Keep dripper going if you can. Hoping the get on here tomorrow and see you've found him... don't give up. Maybe try some other rooms and areas as well.

That really does look like a cham hangin there.

i havent read this thread through but if your bedroom door was open or even cracked. he could be anywhere in the house. he will more than likely not be out in the open. he will probably be behind something. you have to do a thorough search. literally sorting through every last thing in every room.

i left my chams cage open a while back and found him behind my daughters toy chest two rooms away.

I like this suggestion, but maybe, if you can get the room dark and cool enough, wait another hour then go in (first turn the light off in the hall so opening the door doesn't disturb him) and use a flashlight to look for him. They are often easier to see in the dark because their sleeping colors are usually much lighter than normal.

I second that byrnesr & Elizadolots ;):cool: Great idea!!!

I second that byrnesr & Elizadolots ;):cool: Great idea!!!

yes, look in the dark with a flashlight, their lighter colors are a big help along with the curled tail.
Look everywhere, high and low. I found lost chameleons on my blinds, curtain rods, on clothes hanging in the closet and even on the wall outside my room. The chameleon version of "I Almost got away..."

Another thing you might try is putting a couple plants in your room with a basking light. You might draw him out that way. (As stated above)

I once even found a baby lost in my backyard for a couple of days.
Good Luck

Mikey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom