Chameleon Enclosure Placement

Lapolice17

Hi All,

I am new to the forum, but have been reading various threads over the last few months. I currently do not have a chameleon (have plenty of experience with fish and reptile's), but plan on getting a panther at some point, and will be building an enclosure. Once I start that project, I will do a build thread and probably have many questions.

Anyways, on to my question and topic of this thread. I live in a two bedroom condo and use our second bedroom to house two pet rabbits (not free range - in a 5x5 X-Pen). This room is also used for my fiance to get ready in the morning with a make up area. Is this a suitable area to house a chameleon? *This is the only area that works in our condo*

Reason for asking:

This room is occupied everyday by the rabbits, and my fiance. A blow dryer is used almost everyday, as well as ambient noise from the rabbits "playing". I understand chameleons can't hear... But will the rabbits and movement of my fiance stress it out? Rabbits aren't a natural predator, as they are a prey animal, but does the chameleon understand this?

I want to clear this up before I make a decision. We may be moving in the new year, so if this doesn't work.. Ill have to wait. *sigh*

I look forward to the feedback.

As long as your chameleon cage is well above the level of the rabbits they won't be a problem. If you see your chameleon reacting to them (unlikely) you can simple block them from his view. If your fiancé doesn't let the hot air from the drier hit the chameleon her presence in the room won't be a problem.
They just don't like to be stared at. Create a cage with lots of hiding places and plant cover and it will be ok.

As long as your chameleon cage is well above the level of the rabbits they won't be a problem. If you see your chameleon reacting to them (unlikely) you can simple block them from his view. If your fiancé doesn't let the hot air from the drier hit the chameleon her presence in the room won't be a problem.
They just don't like to be stared at. Create a cage with lots of hiding places and plant cover and it will be ok.
Thank you for the quick reply! The room is fairly large, maybe 12x13. With that being said, I believe the hot air will be plenty far away. I also could try rearranging the room so the sightlines from the rabbits are reduced for the chameleons comfort.

I have my cage in a pretty high trafficked area tbh. I have a 1br apartment and he is in the living room. I have 2 dogs and a cat who actually sit in front of his enclosure quite often because there is a window there that they like to look out of.

I dont think either of them knows the other even exists. Pestos cage is in the corner of the room, so one side is wall, the front is open to the room, and the side that isnt wall I have covered with black fabric. He has a lot of spaces to hide and is high up, so he has never shown any stress signs at all. He is a pretty mellow little dude!

I have my cage in a pretty high trafficked area tbh. I have a 1br apartment and he is in the living room. I have 2 dogs and a cat who actually sit in front of his enclosure quite often because there is a window there that they like to look out of.

I dont think either of them knows the other even exists. Pestos cage is in the corner of the room, so one side is wall, the front is open to the room, and the side that isnt wall I have covered with black fabric. He has a lot of spaces to hide and is high up, so he has never shown any stress signs at all. He is a pretty mellow little dude!
Thanks for the feedback! This is comforting! The black fabric is an option as well.

Back
Top Bottom