Chameleon - Egg Laying

Beautiful- Did the vet discuss the discoloration under eye, feet and tail? Just curious.

This is the reason we need pictures; it all helps. :) (y)

JMHO-- Please don't get me wrong. You see proud, I see protective. There is a big difference.
Thank you very much for sharing.

Don't take it wrong we are 100% here to help. :)

The bin looks to small-- I do the same thing (similar) in a 5 gallon bucket or bigger.

There is info on lay bins but I am headed out the door. look up or someone will share.

At this point (a few days) I would leave her.

Just a little extra info: If chameleons don't feel comfortable and keep moving, they will 1. get sick, or lay and drop the eggs all over the place.
Worst case would be egg binding.,

She defiantly needs time alone to lay her eggs before she becomes too weak. Usually, they stop eating and drinking during this time, since their system is being pressed by the eggs and other reasons.

Keep up the good work and let her do her business in private. I understand it is difficult since it is so awesome. We are hear to protect ,help you and her. (y)

Beautiful- Did the vet discuss the discoloration under eye, feet and tail? Just curious.

This is the reason we need pictures; it all helps. :) (y)

JMHO-- Please don't get me wrong. You see proud, I see protective. There is a big difference.
Thank you very much for sharing.

Don't take it wrong we are 100% here to help. :)

The bin looks to small-- I do the same thing (similar) in a 5 gallon bucket or bigger.

There is info on lay bins but I am headed out the door. look up or someone will share.

At this point (a few days) I would leave her.

Just a little extra info: If chameleons don't feel comfortable and keep moving, they will 1. get sick, or lay and drop the eggs all over the place.
Worst case would be egg binding.,

She defiantly needs time alone to lay her eggs before she becomes too weak. Usually, they stop eating and drinking during this time, since their system is being pressed by the eggs and other reasons.

Keep up the good work and let her do her business in private. I understand it is difficult since it is so awesome. We are hear to protect ,help you and her. (y)
Oh it’s not discoloration, it’s just soil. I mixed the two. It’s mostly play sand, though.

And I understand. I just get worried the dirt will get in her eyes and cause more problems, but I am leaving her alone. She has been alone most of the day, we’ve both been at work and I’ll make sure to keep the tank covered while we are here.

I got that bucket two months ago when I first got her as she was a bit smaller, but I will get her a bigger bin for next time. Luckily, she continues to dig so it hopefully works for now.

Thank you all so much for help and advice. It’s definitely appreciated.

Hi! She’s still digging. Has been all day. Every time I peak at her she’s been completely covered in sand. I’ve been letting her be though. I don’t think she’s even dug any deeper. I think she just goes in the hole for a bit and comes back out but I haven’t been messing in there much so I may be wrong.

Hi everyone,

She’s still digging. Or I’m not even sure if it’s digging at this point? She goes in for a good while and then and out of the same hole and it’s been almost five full days of it. She’s drinking water and sleeps well and then goes back at it in the morning for the entirety of the day. She goes back up for a bit but doesn’t hang up on the branches for a very long time.

Should I be worried now? Or is this normal? She doesn’t hang low in the enclosure and she is consistently going down to the hole to dig. I’m just concerned at the length of time this has been happening for now.

I set up a pet cam (at night while she was asleep, made sure it caused no disturbance). This is her at the moment.
4D5685D0-EF78-4C40-921D-6D02732EAA8B.png

I hope she will lay the eggs. I hope all the disturbances haven't put her past the point where she still can lay them.
Fingers crossed.

I hope she will lay the eggs. I hope all the disturbances haven't put her past the point where she still can lay them.
Fingers crossed.
She’s still digging though. Isn’t that a good sign? She’s still attempting. I’m just concerned as To how long it’s been going on now

Hi! CeCe laid her eggs today :) 17 in her clutch.

I really felt the need to intervene. I know it’s frowned upon but I just had a gut feeling she needed help. It had been a week straight of digging. She grew very weak and could hardly hold herself up. So I ran to the store and bought a much bigger storage bin and filled the entire thing with sand yesterday. I also started a hole for her that was similar to the one she had been working on. I replaced the bins in there last night hoping she’d return to the dig in the morning.

When I took out the old bucket I noticed she dug a tunnel straight to the bottom and seemed like she just kept pawing at the bottom to no avail. It was definitely not a sufficient size for her. So the new bin was a storage bin that I believe is 13x16x12.5.

I was really nervous to do this and ruin the progress she had made but I just had a gut feeling that this was the right thing to do. And sure enough in the morning she went straight to digging and laid her eggs this afternoon while my boyfriend was home on his lunch break.

When I came home from work she was face down on the dirt and high above where we could see the eggs buried. I was certain she already laid them and buried them so I was concerned as to why she was in that position limp and not moving. That’s when I realized she buried herself in. I think maybe she was in the process and burying her hole and it might have collapsed on her. She was suffocating down there. I had to dig her out and immediately clean her off. Her eyes were sunk in and she was completely
Covered in dirt. I felt awful, she looked like she was in shock. But I cleaned her and the entire tank out and she immediately drank and ate so much. She’s been soaking up some well deserved UVB since. She seems happy again :) and very skinny lol. She’s got her appetite and is already getting her energy back as she’s been pretty active for a chameleon that just spent a week and a half without food and a week of Non stop digging.

This goes to say that I appreciate everyone’s advice! and I know it was advised to leave her be but I am glad I intervened when I did. More than anything I am so grateful she is well and healthy!!!

I’ll post photos below :)

Congrats! So, are these fertile? I didn't read anything about her being with male. Just curious.:D (y)
We are not sure! We talked to the lady we bought her from and she told us since they can store sperm, there’s a chance they could be fertile. I personally haven’t mated her and definitely don’t plan to but there is a possibility she was in the same enclosure as a male before we got her. I’m positive this is her first clutch so I don’t have a lot of high hopes, but we will incubate them just in case!

Back
Top Bottom