Chameleon concern

Zebenox

Some basic info: 9 week Male veiled. Feeding was 10-20 1/4" crickets 1-2x a day. Gutloaded with Josh's frogs cricket food. Basking spot sits at 80-85. Lamps are on for 12 hours a day. Humidity consistently too low (I've made changes today to hopefully rectify that).

I posted a few days ago that I was fully not equipped to have brought home my new pet. I've got his cage set up (I'll post pics of last time plus the updates). Today I noticed my chameleon napping during the day. I heard that was a pretty serious warning sign. I'm fairly certain he was dehydrated. All other factors seem to be correct but his humidity was consistently too low. I popped him in the shower (on his live plant, water slightly cool to the touch, not in direct spray of the shower head but with it bouncing off the wall) while I did some emergency updates to his enclosure. Got a shower curtain closing in 3 sides, and installed his dripper (1 drop every 2 seconds, dripping onto the live umbrella plant). He's been eating fine but I have a feeling I was feeding him too little (was told 10-20 crickets per day but at his age it looks like it should be much more, he's about 9 weeks old). My number one concern now, he decided to take a flying leap of glory from about 4 feet off the ground to the floor. He seems to be moving just fine and is eating (now that he's safely back in his updated enclosure). How worried should I be about injuries? Pictures: new set up, old set up, when I first got him, today. Also is this humidifier safe to use (with RO water obviously no vicks filter).

15776467669707026803499544986555.jpg

20191229_140108.jpg
20191224_111901.jpg
20191224_192627.jpg
15776464321264257174700344613897.jpg

He actually doesn't seem that bad.

There isn't any specific amount to feed them, throw as many as possible in a cup, dust them, put it in the cage. If by the end of the day they are all gone, feed a little more the next day.

I wouldn't worry too bad if those pictures are a day or to after the fall happened. You might see some bruising, make sure his limbs look good too, eating well drinking well ect.

it doesn't look like you got the uvb? You really need one! Look back at the comments on your help form, I told you what type and style you should get

What humidity level are you getting? Yes, you can use that humidifier but there are guidelines to using these.
Are you using a T5HO Fixture and uvb bulb?

Did the napping start before or after the fall? Yes, a fall of that height is worrisome. Did he fall on carpet or a hard floor?

For his age your wanting to feed like 20 crickets every day. They are eating machines at this age and should be fed in the first half of the day.

Oh- I thought he said it was a 2 foot fall, not 4 feet! :oops: Are those pictures of him before or after that fall?

The napping was before the fall. The pictures are from after the fall. He's been getting around his cage to hunt his crickets pretty well since the fall. He landed on hardwoods not carpet.

He's also been active and not nappy since the shower.
Yes, they do not like showers. And typically we never put them in water or in showers. The shower method is for seriously dehydrated chameleons and has to be done so that they are not getting sprayed with water. It can also be very stressful for them.
The pics of your cham indicate that there is not a dehydration issue happening.

Current humidity is 50% I heard that's okay for day time? Should I run the humidifier now too or just at night?
Daytime humidity you want 30-50% MAX... At night is when you should run the humidifier and only when your house is at its coolest. So when lights are off in the cage and the house is cooler then 70 degrees.

As far as the fall. Watch for bruising this will come up black in color. There is nothing a vet can do for broken bones so it is just a watch and wait situation hoping there is no damage.

Dont run the fogger during the day... humid air plus heat can cause an RI. Your humidity can stay between 30-40 for day, and should be 70-100 at night.

Back
Top Bottom