Chameleon color question

Camodacham

I just got a veiled chameleon from a pet expo recently, i made a mistake for getting him without doing my research and stuff beforehand or setting up the enclosure beforehand also but I’ve got most of it set up now but could definently add on many improvements but my main question is could a darker color be there natural color or no because ever since I got him he’s always been that color but when he sleeps he does change like a yellow color but all other times when he’s not sleeping he’s usually a darker color never really a greenish color

they get real bright when sleeping.

During the day it could be anything. Generally if they are always dark (or spotted) during the day something is wrong (stress or temps). Same thing if they are too hot they will be bright way too much.

And veileds have "morphs" so you might not even have a full green one, you may have a high yellow or something.

This would still be considered normal but not green...
Untitled.png

And here is a normal high yellow
Untitled.png

Last edited:
they get real bright when sleeping.

During the day it could be anything. Generally if they are always dark (or spotted) during the day something is wrong (stress or temps). Same thing if they are too hot they will be bright way too much.

And veileds have "morphs" so you might not even have a full green one, you may have a high yellow or something.

This would still be considered normal but not green...
View attachment 336451

And here is a normal high yellow
View attachment 336452
So these are his colors would these be considered as natural? Like I said he’s remained this color ever since I got him unless he’s sleeping or something else.

Attachments

• 9416AB6D-2EA2-42D5-B733-AE6433B0AC10.jpeg
    9416AB6D-2EA2-42D5-B733-AE6433B0AC10.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 7269CBE2-7391-46CF-A0A1-C3B5D5E7BC56.jpeg
    7269CBE2-7391-46CF-A0A1-C3B5D5E7BC56.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 61
Wut in tarnation....

I mean those are not bad colors and a healthy weight, but that is a very unique color scheme he is rocking.

That looks like a receptive female panther... But its shaped like a veiled...

There is a form on here in the medical section you can scan through the conversations to see if someone near you is a chameleon vet.

You can check this site here. ARAV find a vet

Or you can call exotic vets near you and ask if they have anyone that has Chameleon experience. Chameleons have very specific needs so a vet with just reptile experience probably won’t be super helpful to you.

There is a form on here in the medical section you can scan through the conversations to see if someone near you is a chameleon vet.

You can check this site here. ARAV find a vet

Or you can call exotic vets near you and ask if they have anyone that has Chameleon experience. Chameleons have very specific needs so a vet with just reptile experience probably won’t be super helpful to you.
Ask in the health clinic section?

Are you running the correct long tube UVB lighting or coil screw in bulb? Are you positive you have a male? Does it have a tarsal spur?

Are you running the correct long tube UVB lighting or coil screw in bulb? Are you positive you have a male? Does it have a tarsal spur?
The t5 is on its way, right now I’m using the bulbed ubv light but the t5 is shipping, and no I’m not fully sure if it’s a male I’m going based off what the reptile expert said at the pet expo I got the chameleon from, what is a tarsal spur?

Looks like a girl to me...probably an unhappy one. Can you post some pics of your enclosure?
Ik the enclosure is quite small, but i do plan on upgrading it soon when i save my money up for it, and also his eyes are closed because i just put him to sleep and turned the lights on quick to take this photo for you.

Attachments

• 7EF9F0A6-87DA-4B95-8A64-24C65FCD5A3E.jpeg
    7EF9F0A6-87DA-4B95-8A64-24C65FCD5A3E.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 59
Ok, so I do believe you have a girl and we need a clear pic of the heels of her back feet to confirm gender. Regarding color, when I first got one of my girls I only had a smaller enclosure for her and she was always a muddy color. Once she moved into her big 2x2x4’ enclosure, she brightened up and became quite a beauty.
*pardon the fake plants. I was new and still learning.
81B05D24-171E-4635-BDF2-8BEB29DB7BC2.jpeg DAF6029E-2891-4B32-B674-E3634F877F2B.jpeg

The t5 is on its way, right now I’m using the bulbed ubv light but the t5 is shipping, and no I’m not fully sure if it’s a male I’m going based off what the reptile expert said at the pet expo I got the chameleon from, what is a tarsal spur?
Ok so that is a big part of the abnormal color. Baby is not getting the UVB it needs so showing browns. Follow the info @MissSkittles gave you. We need a pic of the back of the back feet to see if there is a tarsal spur. From what I am seeing from the body it looks to be female. But I would like to confirm.

This is what they look like if they have a tarsal spur and this indicates male.

Attachments

• Tarsal spur1.jpg
    Tarsal spur1.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 49
  • tarsal Spur2.jpg
    tarsal Spur2.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 50
Ok so that is a big part of the abnormal color. Baby is not getting the UVB it needs so showing browns. Follow the info @MissSkittles gave you. We need a pic of the back of the back feet to see if there is a tarsal spur. From what I am seeing from the body it looks to be female. But I would like to confirm.

This is what they look like if they have a tarsal spur and this indicates male.
Okay so these are the best photos I was able to get right now, i don’t know if your able to tell from these but those are the best I could get for right now since he is asleep and I don’t want to wake him.

Attachments

• 6774C799-876E-4FC1-8D7C-8A615FD4315D.jpeg
    6774C799-876E-4FC1-8D7C-8A615FD4315D.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 59
  • A1E647E9-7D9B-4FE0-9F64-EB6B62FE8FF6.jpeg
    A1E647E9-7D9B-4FE0-9F64-EB6B62FE8FF6.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 47
Ok, so I do believe you have a girl and we need a clear pic of the heels of her back feet to confirm gender. Regarding color, when I first got one of my girls I only had a smaller enclosure for her and she was always a muddy color. Once she moved into her big 2x2x4’ enclosure, she brightened up and became quite a beauty.
*pardon the fake plants. I was new and still learning.
View attachment 336472View attachment 336473
Oh wow that’s a big difference, the thing that was really bad that I did was I bought the chameleon without having much knowledge at all which was a big mistake because i then also wasted my money on that “chameleon kit” when instead I could have bought a way bigger enclosure for a better price. So now I’m saving up my money to get this chameleon a better and bigger enclosure but it may be a girl because when I asked the reptile expert at the pet expo how can he tell which ones a boy and girl and he just said the color that the girls don’t really change in color and that they’re the brighter green ones, and I chose this one in the pics I provided earlier and he said “yeah that one’s a male”

So you most definitely have a sweet little girl. She will lay eggs when she matures (even if she never sees a boy) so it’s more important than ever to have everything as perfect as possible for her to prevent laying problems. I’m afraid I’m not able to go over much for you at the moment. Do follow the husbandry guidelines you’ll find here. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ Getting the correct uvb and supplements are imo the best and most important place to start. Read thru all of the modules at the link above and take notes if needed. Ask us questions that you may have. We all love helping make the world a happier place for chameleons and their keepers. 💗

So you most definitely have a sweet little girl. She will lay eggs when she matures (even if she never sees a boy) so it’s more important than ever to have everything as perfect as possible for her to prevent laying problems. I’m afraid I’m not able to go over much for you at the moment. Do follow the husbandry guidelines you’ll find here. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ Getting the correct uvb and supplements are imo the best and most important place to start. Read thru all of the modules at the link above and take notes if needed. Ask us questions that you may have. We all love helping make the world a happier place for chameleons and their keepers. 💗
Thank you for all your help, can’t believe I got a female by accident haha whole time I thought it was a male. But you mentioned before “receptive female panther” so which one is it a panther or a veiled? Because when I first got her she was in a cage with many other veileds

Back
Top Bottom