Chameleon cohabitation

Mike H.

Has anyone kept a panther chameleon with a veiled chameleon??? I know this is usually a nono to keep two chameleons together, even though i have seen 3 female veileds living together happily. However, i've seen frogs and day geckos live with panthers happily also, which makes me wonder, how would a male panther do with a female veiled? id assume he wouldn't be sexually attracted to her, and if so, no babies would develop anyway, i think they'd just leave each-other alone no harm done no?

I had a male veiled with a female once and when the were maturing the male would show aggression to her forcing her to stay in one spot not really moving I wouldn’t recommended this maybe if they were both young

How do you know they were "happy"? How long did you observe this?. What appears to be ok on the outside, may not appear on the inside. Meaning... . certain situations can be stressful on animals when they are forced to cohabitate and signs of illness may take time to manifest. Rule is DON'T do it!

I know a man who got his nose be and giant day gecko as juveniles and they grew up in the same cage and did fine, and i didn't see an issue, they didn't fight or bite eachother, and each ate their share of crickets.

My panther hates to even see another anything other then me my wife walks in and he wants to get big! I would say never put them with anything even if you keep a male and female together usually one will always keep trying to get out because the other will be slightly more territorial. I’ve only had Jackson chameleons together tho nothing else other then veiled chameleons but I separated them at around 3 months because of fighting with each other.

You won't likely see the stress until it's serious or even too late. There is the odd species of chameleon where a male and female can be kept together but you need to separate them at times too....and it's not easy to know when sometimes.

There is one situation which will work for only a little if you get 2 of the same type let’s say panther chameleon with another that will work for about their first 3-4 months of living until one becomes dominate and begins to fight that’s when you need to separate them and make sure none of them are hogging food hand feed them to avoid that meaning take one out and feed it. I don’t recommend this but if you really want to I guess you could.

Back
Top Bottom