Chameleon Closing Eyes while Basking

I may be following older tactics used by keepers a decade ago where higher basking temps that reach 90 degrees even for an adult male veiled are good, but nonetheless, the most important thing is that you create a habitat she can thermoregulate. Doesn't matter too much what the basking spot temp is, just as long as it isn't hot enough to burn her of course (place your hand underneath the basking bulb where the basking spot is and see if the light is concentrated too close to that spot by seeing if you're able to hold your hand there comfortably w/o the top of your hand/skin getting cooked).

I may be following older tactics used by keepers a decade ago where higher basking temps that reach 90 degrees even for an adult male veiled are good, but nonetheless, the most important thing is that you create a habitat she can thermoregulate. Doesn't matter too much what the basking spot temp is, just as long as it isn't hot enough to burn her of course (place your hand underneath the basking bulb where the basking spot is and see if the light is concentrated too close to that spot by seeing if you're able to hold your hand there comfortably w/o the top of your hand/skin getting cooked).
Maybe I’m not sure but since it’s female and females lay eggs the heat and food can cause larger clutches which are no good. But I don’t know I’ve heard and followed max 80

It feels like a nice warm temp. It’s not too hot or too cold it’s comfortable.

Maybe I’m not sure but since it’s female and females lay eggs the heat and food can cause larger clutches which are no good. But I don’t know I’ve heard and followed max 80-82
Yes, it makes sense that this would cause that to happen in females. idk why I mentioned the basking temp of a male veiled when clearly this is a female. Ignore me lol.

Yes, it makes sense that this would cause that to happen in females. idk why I mentioned the basking temp of a male veiled when clearly this is a female. Ignore me lol.
You guys are saying that she doesn’t look 7 months old, does this mean the breeder lied or just forgot? Is she doesn’t look 7 months old, how old DOES she look? lol

You are giving older husbandry info on temps... Females we keep 78-80 very max temp at basking. Due to temps and food directly impacting their clutch size. Lower temp and food intake produces smaller easier clutch size and a longer healthier life.

Males we do not go any higher then 80-85 range. Higher temps have been found to shorten lifespan.

I'm not sure if this was advised as well, but you might want to try and get her some natural sunlight if weather in your area permits, for as long as possible. But make sure one area is shaded in her cage so she can escape the sun and cool off.

Read through the info I gave you. I touched on this. Improper husbandry can effect growth rate as well.
I would like to read some peer review articles on these types of studies and findings. Not saying you're wrong or that I'm skeptical. just interested in learning how bad husbandry techniques and how they affect the physiology involved in the growth of the chameleon from a hatchling all the way to an adult by either stunting it or accelerating it beyond what's normal.

I would like to read some peer review articles on these types of studies and findings. Not saying you're wrong or that I'm skeptical. just interested in learning how bad husbandry techniques and how they affect the physiology involved in the growth of the chameleon from a hatchling all the way to an adult by either stunting it or accelerating it beyond what's normal.
If your not feeding correctly, not providing UVB, or the right supplements it will impact growth rate. Certain parasites do as well. Genetics also plays a part in growth rate. Start listening to Bill Strands podcasts.. I do not remember which ones cover what as I have listened to almost every one he has done. So I can not help you with articles.

Back
Top Bottom