Chameleon clinbing on top of enclosure

Can you get britta filters there... Like the kind that hooks on to your faucet or the pitcher that has the insert? I think this would be a good option for you there. You really do not want to use a water conditioner that adds calcium.
I see we can get britta jugs with filters here, and I know that we can get other tap connected filtration systems by other names here. So will look in to that. I was also told that distilled water would be suitable is this correct?

I see we can get britta jugs with filters here, and I know that we can get other tap connected filtration systems by other names here. So will look in to that. I was also told that distilled water would be suitable is this correct?
Yes distilled water is another option. :) Britta filters and things like that will help pull the yuck out of the tap water as well. If you are running through an automatic misting system or a humidifier at night you want to use distilled. This way you do not get calcium build up in the components clogging it up.

Just curious...are reptiles not very popularly kept animals in S Africa?
It doset seam like chameleons are very popular here. Every pet shop owner i have spoken to has had one once upon a time but im yet to find someone that still has chameleons. The more popular reptiles are snakes, lizards, beaded dragons and spiders.

Yes distilled water is another option. :) Britta filters and things like that will help pull the yuck out of the tap water as well. If you are running through an automatic misting system or a humidifier at night you want to use distilled. This way you do not get calcium build up in the components clogging it up.
Noted and Thank you

You said..."I'm worried that they will burn themselves especially with the heat lamp"...what is the temperature under the basking light? Is it a coloured light? Can you hold your hand as close to the bulb inside the cage as the chameleon could possibly be when hanging on the screen and see if it's too hot to be comfortable for you to keep your hand there.....if it is then your chameleon will likely get burned....so the light will need to be raised to avoid it.

What temperature is it there? The basking/cage temperature should be in the low 80'sF IMHO for babies.

I use regular household incandescent bulbs for basking (for adults) and I don't really use a basking light at all for babies, as long as the cage temperatures are right for them. Small bodies heat up fast and can dehydrate faster than adults too.

You said..."And before it gets mentioned im not using it as a Calcium supplement. I have calcium powder with out D 3 with D 3 as well as a multi vitamin. So this is purely to remove metals and chlorine from the water"...
Concerning the calcium water conditioner....what does the calcium do to remove the chlorine and metals? My chemistry is a little rusty...but if any calcium remains that hasn't changed into something else that the chameleon can't convert back into calcium through digestion, I would expect that calcium could be used by the chameleon and may lead to health issues..calcium imbalance.

You said..."I'm worried that they will burn themselves especially with the heat lamp"...what is the temperature under the basking light? Is it a coloured light? Can you hold your hand as close to the bulb inside the cage as the chameleon could possibly be when hanging on the screen and see if it's too hot to be comfortable for you to keep your hand there.....if it is then your chameleon will likely get burned....so the light will need to be raised to avoid it.

What temperature is it there? The basking/cage temperature should be in the low 80'sF IMHO for babies.

I use regular household incandescent bulbs for basking (for adults) and I don't really use a basking light at all for babies, as long as the cage temperatures are right for them. Small bodies heat up fast and can dehydrate faster than adults too.

You said..."And before it gets mentioned im not using it as a Calcium supplement. I have calcium powder with out D 3 with D 3 as well as a multi vitamin. So this is purely to remove metals and chlorine from the water"...
Concerning the calcium water conditioner....what does the calcium do to remove the chlorine and metals? My chemistry is a little rusty...but if any calcium remains that hasn't changed into something else that the chameleon can't convert back into calcium through digestion, I would expect that calcium could be used by the chameleon and may lead to health issues..calcium imbalance.
Hi kiyonga, thanks for the response, the temperature based on the probe fixed to the basking stop ranges between 25,4 - 38-8 degrees Celsius which is 77.72 - 101.84 Fahrenheit. I will be looking at moving his basking spot down or lifting the light as @MissSkittles and yourself suggested.
The heat lamp is currently placed on top of the enclosure and when i lifted the light and touched the mesh it was resting on it was very hot hence my concern (image attached of bulb this is not the red bulb normally used for bearded dragons its actually clear in colour) I have also attached an image of how the enclosure was when we received it from the pet shop (with lights on the inside and one switch for both) but have since upgraded and changed to the next image of lights on top of enclosure.

Is it not advised to have heat lamps for the babies? I'm not sure what their actual age is but they are still babies. Again wrongly informed by pet shop, luckily we changed the set up so the lighting is now on separate switches so I can turn the heat lamp off at any time.

It was recommended to me to put the water conditioner in to remove the chlorine and chlorimine from the water i honestly could not tell you how the product actually works and as @Beman suggested I will be moving over to distilled / filter water in future.

Attachments

• 20200927_083628.jpg
    20200927_083628.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 20200925_101736.jpg
    20200925_101736.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20201001_200433.jpg
    20201001_200433.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 53
@kinyonga I also want to add that on sunday 4th october will be the second week of me having these babies so im still very new to the chameleon family and learning very fast what to have and what not to have. Also mentioned in previous posts that im based in south african, and products/accessories are very limited here especially for chameleons.
All advise is very welcome as it helps with the learning process thanks to the advise on this forum

You said.."77.72 - 101.84 Fahrenheit. I will be looking at moving his basking spot down or lifting the light as @MissSkittles and yourself suggested"...lifting the light will ensure that they can't get burned. If you only move the basking spot down then they might still be able to get onto the screen and get burned. They will find a way if it's at all possible!

You said..."Is it not advised to have heat lamps for the babies?"....all I can tell you is that I've kept chameleons for over 30 years and I've never used heat/ basking lights on baby cages....and they do well.

You said.."77.72 - 101.84 Fahrenheit. I will be looking at moving his basking spot down or lifting the light as @MissSkittles and yourself suggested"...lifting the light will ensure that they can't get burned. If you only move the basking spot down then they might still be able to get onto the screen and get burned. They will find a way if it's at all possible!

You said..."Is it not advised to have heat lamps for the babies?"....all I can tell you is that I've kept chameleons for over 30 years and I've never used heat/ basking lights on baby cages....and they do well.
@kinyonga & @MissSkittles I've made a temporary solution (trying to lift the baskin lamp up) as per second image on a tin, not sure if this solution will work, i will keep the heat lamps off tomorrow and see what the temperature of the enclosure dose. May i ask, if the temp drops would it be better to get a 50 w heat lamp? (Currently have a 100w in)

@MissSkittles as suggested the bark and the moss was removed and I placed a peice of drift wood in the bottom as it just looks so bare (I did wash it down alot using a scrubbing brush and very hot water i did this about 3 times .
The bottom of the enclosure is lines with black builders plastic (thick black plastic) just to stop leaking and easy to clean. Please let me know if I'm on the right track.
Question, can i add white garden stones to the bottom or is this not a good idea? I just dont like the site of the black plastic.

@Beman I have changed out the water as recommended

Thanks everyone ?

Attachments

• 20201002_184742.jpg
    20201002_184742.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20201002_184747.jpg
    20201002_184747.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 57
@kinyonga & @MissSkittles I've made a temporary solution (trying to lift the baskin lamp up) as per second image on a tin, not sure if this solution will work, i will keep the heat lamps off tomorrow and see what the temperature of the enclosure dose. May i ask, if the temp drops would it be better to get a 50 w heat lamp? (Currently have a 100w in)

@MissSkittles as suggested the bark and the moss was removed and I placed a peice of drift wood in the bottom as it just looks so bare (I did wash it down alot using a scrubbing brush and very hot water i did this about 3 times .
The bottom of the enclosure is lines with black builders plastic (thick black plastic) just to stop leaking and easy to clean. Please let me know if I'm on the right track.
Question, can i add white garden stones to the bottom or is this not a good idea? I just dont like the site of the black plastic.

@Beman I have changed out the water as recommended

Thanks everyone ?
Personally I would drop back the bulb strength... You can even use a regular household incandescent bulb as long as it is not a LED version. :)

Personally I would drop back the bulb strength... You can even use a regular household incandescent bulb as long as it is not a LED version. :)
Ok perfect what wattage would you recommend? I'll go buy them tomorrow and stop them out.

Ok perfect what wattage would you recommend? I'll go buy them tomorrow and stop them out.
I only use 60 watt bulbs... I have mine lifted off the screen 2 inches and then I have a full 8-9 inch drop to basking. I can easily achieve a 82 degree basking spot. :) You still have to correct distances with these as well. Too close to any bulb and you have a thermal burn risk.

I only use 60 watt bulbs... I have mine lifted off the screen 2 inches and then I have a full 8-9 inch drop to basking. I can easily achieve a 82 degree basking spot. :) You still have to correct distances with these as well. Too close to any bulb and you have a thermal burn risk.
Will do now that its the weekend I will have more time to rectify the distances. Thanks again Beman

@Beman, I just want to double check with you regarding the humidity, I did what you instructed with the plastic on the sides and and it worked perfeclty by bringing the humidity up from 20% to 40%. How ever for some reason today the humidy has been between 56% and is now currently 62% in both enclosure. Is this to high ? Our weather today has been rather overcast and it has been spitting with rain today could this have something to do with it?

@Beman, I just want to double check with you regarding the humidity, I did what you instructed with the plastic on the sides and and it worked perfeclty by bringing the humidity up from 20% to 40%. How ever for some reason today the humidy has been between 56% and is now currently 62% in both enclosure. Is this to high ? Our weather today has been rather overcast and it has been spitting with rain today could this have something to do with it?
Yes, as stated your ambient humidity will swing with the humidity of your area... It is not a big deal... Ideal humidity is 30-40% but this does not mean they have issues in higher humidity. The issues come when your soaking the enclosure constantly by misting and not allowing it to dry out. Anyways the babies will be fine with spikes of ambient humidity. So I would not be concerned and I would not adjust anything regarding the enclosures. :)

Yes, as stated your ambient humidity will swing with the humidity of your area... It is not a big deal... Ideal humidity is 30-40% but this does not mean they have issues in higher humidity. The issues come when your soaking the enclosure constantly by misting and not allowing it to dry out. Anyways the babies will be fine with spikes of ambient humidity. So I would not be concerned and I would not adjust anything regarding the enclosures. :)
Awesome thanks very much Beman, im so so glad I'm on the right track now. Yey ?

Back
Top Bottom