Chameleon clinbing on top of enclosure

tarrynh011

Hi All,
I'm a bit worried about my veild chameleons climbing on the top of their encloaure, i have seen both my male and female do it this week and I'm worried that they will burn themselves especially with the heat lamp. I have a 100w heat lamp resting on the top of each enclosure. How do I stop them doing this because the last thing I want is them getting hurt or burnt
All advise welcome

Attachments

• 20201001_200433.jpg
    20201001_200433.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 147
Hi All,
I'm a bit worried about my veild chameleons climbing on the top of their encloaure, i have seen both my male and female do it this week and I'm worried that they will burn themselves especially with the heat lamp. I have a 100w heat lamp resting on the top of each enclosure. How do I stop them doing this because the last thing I want is them getting hurt or burnt
All advise welcome
Babies are screen climbers. Best thing to do is raise the lights off of the top. Can you post a pic of your entire enclosure?

Yeah they need to be raised up or you need to drop down the foliage that they are using to climb up...

Additionally they should not be able to get that close because your not using standard window screen under the uvb they are going to get much much higher levels of UVB with the larger gauge wire.

Is this picture recent? I thought we told you to remove the bark to prevent impaction?
No its the old photos I've turned the light off for the chameleons to go sleep at 8am so dont want to bother them by turning the lights on again i will post a new photo tomorrow to show that I have removed thw bark and moss

Yeah they need to be raised up or you need to drop down the foliage that they are using to climb up...

Additionally they should not be able to get that close because your not using standard window screen under the uvb they are going to get much much higher levels of UVB with the larger gauge wire.
I have bought smaller mesh wire (from the hard ware) if I cut it to size and place it between the uvb and bigger mesh (actual cage mesh) would that help?

The uvb liniar is installed in a fish tank lid because we can't get the same light casings you guys are able to get overseas, I have Google and stopped at so many pet shops with no luck. If there is something more I can do please let me know

Mine is doing the same thing! I just got my guy a week ago & I have a 100 watt bulb too but I do have it raised about 3-4 inches off the screen (I used a square cast iron plant stand that I had laying around & just set the lamp on top of that! It’s perfect!). But should I maybe go higher? My temp reads 88.9 degrees on his perch, which is about 9” from the top of the screen. So I would guess it’s close to 100 degree on the screen! He is a baby as well...just over 3 months. Anyone know if this normal? Smaller body retains less heat maybe? So needs higher heat? But I thought I read it should be between 80-90 degrees (which it would if he was on his perch). Thanks!

Thanks this is helpful may not be able to get the same thing here in South africa but can always make a plan to make something similar
Oh...didn’t realize you were in S Africa. I have no idea what is available there, but you can most definitely craft your own version. You could even get a lightweight chain and ceiling hook and suspend it that way.

Mine is doing the same thing! I just got my guy a week ago & I have a 100 watt bulb too but I do have it raised about 3-4 inches off the screen (I used a square cast iron plant stand that I had laying around & just set the lamp on top of that! It’s perfect!). But should I maybe go higher? My temp reads 88.9 degrees on his perch, which is about 9” from the top of the screen. So I would guess it’s close to 100 degree on the screen! He is a baby as well...just over 3 months. Anyone know if this normal? Smaller body retains less heat maybe? So needs higher heat? But I thought I read it should be between 80-90 degrees (which it would if he was on his perch). Thanks!
You’re running a bit too hot. Basking temps shouldn’t exceed 80...82 max.

I have bought smaller mesh wire (from the hard ware) if I cut it to size and place it between the uvb and bigger mesh (actual cage mesh) would that help?

The uvb liniar is installed in a fish tank lid because we can't get the same light casings you guys are able to get overseas, I have Google and stopped at so many pet shops with no luck. If there is something more I can do please let me know
So yes it will help with getting your uvb to the correct levels at basking. But you need to make sure that the fixture has a quality reflector panel on it. If it does not then the uvb will not be correct either. Only way to know for sure is to get a solarmeter 6.5.

So yes it will help with getting your uvb to the correct levels at basking. But you need to make sure that the fixture has a quality reflector panel on it. If it does not then the uvb will not be correct either. Only way to know for sure is to get a solarmeter 6.5.
Thank you Beman, your posts are always so helpful. There is currently no reflector in the fish tank lid can i use tinfoil? Or is that not good enough? Like I said very limited to what we can and cannot get here it would appear that the reptile market here isn't as big as over seas. I looked into the solarmeter and to import it will cost my R5 000- R10 000 here which is extremely pricey. So im trying my best with what I can get my hands on here. I'm also batteling to get my hands on exoterra water conditioner. You have no idea how many places I have tried

Thank you Beman, your posts are always so helpful. There is currently no reflector in the fish tank lid can i use tinfoil? Or is that not good enough? Like I said very limited to what we can and cannot get here it would appear that the reptile market here isn't as big as over seas. I looked into the solarmeter and to import it will cost my R5 000- R10 000 here which is extremely pricey. So im trying my best with what I can get my hands on here. I'm also batteling to get my hands on exoterra water conditioner. You have no idea how many places I have tried
And you really can not get T5HO fixtures there huh.... Gosh that sucks... well if you don't have a reflector then I would be worried about adding the screen. hmmmmm I suppose tin foil is better then nothing.

Why water conditioner?

Oh...didn’t realize you were in S Africa. I have no idea what is available there, but you can most definitely craft your own version. You could even get a lightweight chain and ceiling hook and suspend it that way.
I have a friend with a 3D printer im sure he could print something for me to use. You have no idea how limited South Africa is to reptile accessories and products. Its so frustrating, i watch YouTube video after YouTube video and see all there product and gadgets even the enclosures overseas we can't get her.. its so horrible ?

And you really can not get T5HO fixtures there huh.... Gosh that sucks... well if you don't have a reflector then I would be worried about adding the screen. hmmmmm I suppose tin foil is better then nothing.

Why water conditioner?
Even Trying to get the t5 liniar uvb tubes were a mission to get. So when I found them I bought 4 just incase. The one pet shop had one used exo terra fixture but no liniar tubes to fit it so it was absolutely pointless purchasing the fixture. Every pet shop here wants to sell that twisted bulb UVB which i know is not correct.

Attached water conditioner image, its to reduce the amount of chlorine & chloramine in the tap water

And before it gets mentioned im not using it as a Calcium supplement. I have calcium powder with out D 3 with D 3 as well as a multi vitamin. So this is purely to remove metals and chlorine from the water

Attachments

• 20201001_215143.jpg
    20201001_215143.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 107
Even Trying to get the t5 liniar uvb tubes were a mission to get. So when I found them I bought 4 just incase. The one pet shop had one used exo terra fixture but no liniar tubes to fit it so it was absolutely pointless purchasing the fixture. Every pet shop here wants to sell that twisted bulb UVB which i know is not correct.

Attached water conditioner image, its to reduce the amount of chlorine & chloramine in the tap water

And before it gets mentioned im not using it as a Calcium supplement. I have calcium powder with out D 3 with D 3 as well as a multi vitamin. So this is purely to remove metals and chlorine from the water
Can you get britta filters there... Like the kind that hooks on to your faucet or the pitcher that has the insert? I think this would be a good option for you there. You really do not want to use a water conditioner that adds calcium.

Back
Top Bottom