Chameleon check list!

topmanollie

yo! i just realized i went from new member to just member, i feel like a winner tbh.
anyways hi!
i’m about to order the rest of my stuff for my chameleon and i just want to make sure i’m not missing anything. maybe i’m being too precautious by asking so many questions but i just want the chamie to be fully safe.
i already have
- cage
- real branches
- live plants
- white heat light (and holder)
- calcium without d3
- homemade dripper
- multiple humidity and temperature thingies
here’s what i’m planning on ordering. tell me if i’m leaving anything out or i shouldnt get something
- TH50 liner uvb bulb (and holder)
- calcium with d3
- reptivite multivitamin without d3
- food bowl holder
- tongs for bugs
- drain pan to catch water
what else should i get or not get?
thank you guys so much!! i fully appreciate the help!!

They said a Veiled in a prior thread. Not sure if they still are though.

Buy reptivite with D3. Rather then calcium with D3 or reptivite without D3. You will use the reptivite with D3 two times a month only say the 1st and the 15th of the month. THen all other feedings will be the phos free calcium without D3.

Look up Cricket shakers... Get one for the Calcium without D3 and one for the Reptivite. Use this to shake your feeders in... Makes it much easier to supplement without them being coated like powdered donuts.

What @Beman said is great.

Which UVB bulb strength are you purchasing? (5.0/6%, 10.0/12%?) Make sure you have appropriate distance between the basking branch and your UVB to avoid both too much or too little UVB
Consider additional lighting for your plants. Pothos plants won’t care, I’m pretty sure they’ll grow in a locked safe as long as you give them water, but other plants may have greater light requirements.
For the drainage pan you can either empty it out with something, shop vacs work well, or you create some sort of drainage opening that goes to a bucket that you dump out. Helps avoid floods.
I would also consider other hydration methods like automatic misters and foggers
And last order a good variety feeders and feed them with nutritious foods prior to your new Chams arrival.

They said a Veiled in a prior thread. Not sure if they still are though.

Buy reptivite with D3. Rather then calcium with D3 or reptivite without D3. You will use the reptivite with D3 two times a month only say the 1st and the 15th of the month. THen all other feedings will be the phos free calcium without D3.

Look up Cricket shakers... Get one for the Calcium without D3 and one for the Reptivite. Use this to shake your feeders in... Makes it much easier to supplement without them being coated like powdered donuts.
so calcium without d3 and then reptivite with d3? also i wanted to just say thank you!! you’re frequently commenting on posts with really good advice

so calcium without d3 and then reptivite with d3? also i wanted to just say thank you!! you’re frequently commenting on posts with really good advice
Your welcome hun. Yep those would be the two you would use. :)
Remember as they mature and you start reducing feeding days you cut the days with the calcium without D3 and leave the 1st and the 15th of the month with the reptivite with D3. So your never not giving the reptivite 2 times a month.

What @Beman said is great.

Which UVB bulb strength are you purchasing? (5.0/6%, 10.0/12%?) Make sure you have appropriate distance between the basking branch and your UVB to avoid both too much or too little UVB
Consider additional lighting for your plants. Pothos plants won’t care, I’m pretty sure they’ll grow in a locked safe as long as you give them water, but other plants may have greater light requirements.
For the drainage pan you can either empty it out with something, shop vacs work well, or you create some sort of drainage opening that goes to a bucket that you dump out. Helps avoid floods.
I would also consider other hydration methods like automatic misters and foggers
And last order a good variety feeders and feed them with nutritious foods prior to your new Chams arrival.
i am getting a 5.0 uvb that’s 24w and 22in and planning on putting it like across the cage
i’m hoping that with the heat bulb will be enough light for them along with having three big windows. if i see them not doing well, i will probably get a light just in case
not only i have a spray bottle and a dripper, i also have a humidifier. would that be enough or should i get a mister?
yes!! i always have bugs because i also have a beardie but along with the arrival i’m planning on ordering hornworms and dubai roaches because those aren’t available for me
i appreciate your help

Your welcome hun. Yep those would be the two you would use. :)
Remember as they mature and you start reducing feeding days you cut the days with the calcium without D3 and leave the 1st and the 15th of the month with the reptivite with D3. So your never not giving the reptivite 2 times a month.
where did you get your cricket shakers? i looked on amazon and couldn’t really find anything

i am getting a 5.0 uvb that’s 24w and 22in and planning on putting it like across the cage
i’m hoping that with the heat bulb will be enough light for them along with having three big windows. if i see them not doing well, i will probably get a light just in case
not only i have a spray bottle and a dripper, i also have a humidifier. would that be enough or should i get a mister?
yes!! i always have bugs because i also have a beardie but along with the arrival i’m planning on ordering hornworms and dubai roaches because those aren’t available for me
i appreciate your help
Hydration is really important. I think if you ask 5 very successful keepers on this site, you’ll get 5 different answers on what is the “best” way to achieve adequate hydration.
I try to stick with the “naturalistic hydration” method. I use fogging at night, with misting once just after lights out, once just before lights come on, and once when the fogger starts, and I also use an automated dripper that runs a few times in the afternoon.
I think this site gives excellent husbandry advice
https://chameleonacademy.com/
Their recommendations for hydration
https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-hydration-for-chameleons/
Here’s Bill Strand’s podcast on this subject
https://chameleonacademy.com/ep-89-naturalistic-hydration-for-chameleons/

i got nervous to add this but i when i want to hook things, like the food bowls. do i hook that on like branches or should i order something specifically? i know some cages have side bars but mine do not so what should i do

i got nervous to add this but i when i want to hook things, like the food bowls. do i hook that on like branches or should i order something specifically? i know some cages have side bars but mine do not so what should i do
Did you order dragon ledges for mounting branches? If not you should...

get a feeder run... Either this one https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

Or this one. https://www.fullthrottlefeeders.com/feedercups

I have a full throttle feeder in one of my enclosures. My panther didn’t love the feeder run, so he has a plastic cup held up with neodymium magnets
1D4A6DC8-E9CF-49FF-9A1F-2CC70D0E7793.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom