Chameleon Cards - Hand Painted in Kenya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Anderson

Dr. House of Chameleons
Hi Everyone,

For her dissertation, my girlfriend (Andrea) did fieldwork studying maternal effects and stress physiology in an invasive bird species in Kenya for 3-7 months/year for 4 years. During these trips, she befriended a lot of people in the various areas she was living and collecting data, including a local artist in Nakuru named Anthony Njembui.

Andrea first noticed Anthony's work in the Nakuru markets as he tended to paint animals and scenes that she didn't usually see other vendors selling. She eventually got him to paint a few things in particular for her and over the last couple trips she's made, has kept up with him, making sure to go see him and buy things she's had him paint for her each time.

As many of you are likely aware, most Kenyans work very hard to get by. Anthony and many others, however, were always incredibly kind and welcoming to Andrea and the rest of the researchers (whether from the National Museum in Kenya or her lab at USF) that were with her, and Andrea considers him and a number of other people she met there to be friends who she continues to keep up with even though she has now finished her research in Kenya. Here is a photo of Anthony and Andrea taken earlier this year during her last field season where she is giving him some tools she brought him from the US for woodworking:

AnthonyandAndrea.jpg

On her last trip Andrea asked Anthony to paint her a bunch of cards that she could sell for him here in the US, in the hopes that she could help him make a little more money than he usually is able to make on them. I asked her to have him make a bunch of chameleon cards, as I thought some of you might be interested in them. I sent her a few chameleon photos (mostly of Kenyan species) for her to give to him to base the cards off of and he started working on them. He has now finished the cards and I just received them in the mail. Each card is hand painted, and so they are all slightly different, but they are based on five different chameleon designs.

The first is based on the Jackson's Chameleon (Trioceros jacksonii):
Triocerosjacksoniicard.jpg

The second and third are based on the High-casqued Chameleon (Trioceros hoehnelii):
Trioceroshoehnelii1card.jpg

Trioceroshoehnelii2card.jpg

The fourth is based on the Mount Kulal Chameleon (Trioceros narraioca):
Triocerosnarraiocacard.jpg

And finally the fifth is based on the Natal Midlands Dwarf Chameleon (Bradypodion thamnobates):
Bradypodionthamnobatescard.jpg

In total I have 25 cards of each design, with the exception of the B. thamnobates cards, which I only have 20 of, for a grand total of 120 6.5" x 4.25" cards. I am selling them for $3.00 each shipped within the US with a minimum order of 5 cards.

Just to clarify, neither Andrea or I are making any money off selling these. At this price we will cover paypal fees, shipping, and the price of the cards we paid Anthony, and thats it. We're just trying to do something to help him and at the same time give some of you the chance to buy some hand painted chameleon themed cards from Kenya.

If interested in any, please send me a PM with how many and of which you are interested in, and I will send you my paypal information after confirming that I still have the quantity of each you want.

Thanks!

Chris

Last edited:
Just bumping this add back up. I still have a number of each design available. Thanks for everyone who has purchased some already!

Chris

Still have some of each available but am getting low on the B. thamnobates cards, which are my personal favorite (only 3 of those left). Let me know if you're interested in any!

Chris

Bumping this up again. Would like to see them go to forum members but am going to end up putting them up on Etsy or something if I can't move the rest here.

Chris

I haven't been advertising these cards recently, but thought I'd let people know that I still have some available. Let me know if you're interested.

Chris

Hi Everyone,

I am now out of the B. thamnobates cards. Let me know if you're interested in any of the rest as I don't have many left!

Chris

Hi everyone,

I am down to the last 3 cards. I have one remaining based on the Jackson's Chameleon (Trioceros jacksonii), one remaining based on the High-casqued Chameleon (Trioceros hoehnelii), and one remaining based on the Mount Kulal Chameleon (Trioceros narraioca). Here are examples of the three left available:

Triocerosjacksoniicard.jpg

Trioceroshoehnelii2card.jpg

Triocerosnarraiocacard.jpg

These last 3 cards are only $9 shipped. If you'd like them, send me a PM.

Thanks,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom