Chameleon cages

Coop

Avid Member
Im planning on getting a carpet chameleon, would it be possible to keep it in a 2x2x4 for the entire time, even when it is first arriving? My parents think only one cage is enough

Im planning on getting a carpet chameleon, would it be possible to keep it in a 2x2x4 for the entire time, even when it is first arriving? My parents think only one cage is enough

2x2x4 is an absolutely monstrous enclosure for a carpet chameleon. It'll do the trick fine, but you will have an extremely hard time finding the chameleon. an 18x18x24 exoterra is a much better option imo

2x2x4 is an absolutely monstrous enclosure for a carpet chameleon. It'll do the trick fine, but you will have an extremely hard time finding the chameleon. an 18x18x24 exoterra is a much better option imo
Okay, thanks for the input! Ive been studying, and ive heard that chameleons at max size needed that cage. I’ll definitely go with the 18x18x24

I am going to assume you know they only live about 2 years. Such a short life span for such a beautiful chameleon

Okay, thanks for the input! Ive been studying, and ive heard that chameleons at max size needed that cage. I’ll definitely go with the 18x18x24

What exactly have you been researching? Carpet chameleons are not the same as panthers & veileds. You need to be researching carpets specifically. I'm just worried because I've noticed you mentioning a variety of small chameleon species you want, switching from one to the next. I just want to make sure you know exactly what you want and why.

Where are you planning on getting your carpet?

Yes, i do.
Another deciding factor in of which my parents will let me get one
Would love a panther tho

Ive been going over care sheets for them specifically, and am probably getting ine over the summer from Frank Payne or another breeder i was reccomeded.

And you're going off to college soon, right? Are your parents prepared to do all the same research when they are left with the chameleon?

I want the carpet because of the colors and how small they are
My parents dont want a bigger one because my brother suprised them with two ginea pigs

I want the carpet because of the colors and how small they are
My parents dont want a bigger one because my brother suprised them with two ginea pigs
If you get a carpet chameleon definitely get it from Frank Payne. He will provide you with all the information you need to be a successful keeper, as long as you commit to providing them with what they need. Are your parents okay with the feeding needs of a chameleon? I have a male panther chameleon that never stops eating, and also needs daily misting. Consider a bioactive substrate (or having a large potted plant in the cage) - it will provide a place for all the mist water to go, and will help keep humidity up.

I would contact Frank sooner rather than later. CB carpet chameleons sell super fast, so you'll want the vivarium set up and ready well in advance so you can strike when the iron is hot

Im planning on getting a job this summer, and most funds will probably go to my chameleon. My parents dont want to have to take care of it, and i will be taking care of it

I would contact Frank sooner rather than later. CB carpet chameleons sell super fast, so you'll want the vivarium set up and ready well in advance so you can strike when the iron is hot

I will try to message him as soon as i can.

Have you kept any species of chameleon before? I would caution you away from starting with a female carpet chameleon, if so. Females are more difficult to care for. I mention this because you said it's their colors you're interested in. But keep in mind, only females show the bright reds and purples - and only by the time they reach sexual maturity. Males are hardier and also beautiful - just not quite as many colors involved

Im actually planning kn getting a male, while their colors are not as vibrant i still think they are beautiful.
My mom also doesnt like the idea of eggs.

Good thinking! Eggs can be a big hassle. Here are a couple pics of my male. While they lack the reds and purples, I still think they can color up pretty nicely!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_b24.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_aad.jpg

Back
Top Bottom