Chameleon cages project in the works.

mtb

Hello folks, newbie here.
After seeing my 11 yr old younger son have passion with reptiles and he wants to separate the 2 Jackson chameleons (male n female) in 2x2x4 cage and I too decided to have one chameleon to myself so I start build a 3 cages enclosure for our chameleons.

And so the project begins,

6 feet tall x 7 feet long and 2 feet deep.
56e_13af3d_5d2bb5e_tn.jpg.thumb

As I mention I am a newbie to these type of things so I will need all your help to make it right for the chameleons to enjoy staying with us. :)

The cage will have filberglass screen, Mistking misting system, Schefflera arboricola plants, pond liner with drainage hole.

Doors and knobs, wood treatment.
56f_13af3c_e35b99ea_tn.jpg.thumb

More to come.

Im not sure about the fiberglass screen..is it the same as the mesh used in the LLL enclosures? If it is, use the aluminum screen, it's easier to see through and UVB goes through it better than the mesh.

Aside from that, keep the pics coming cause that is an awesome enclosure. make sure that they cannot see each other from one cage to the next.

What a great start! Well done.....

i prefer the aluminum screen but don't mind the other... but I would suggest something different for the top... aluminium or maybe I've seen people use a chicken wire type of screen on top?... any pics of the screen? Also... I would start buying your plants.... get them animated to living indoors, give you a chance to get them cleaned up .... and ... stores are having a lot of sales right now to lower inventory from what didn't sell from gardening season... petsmart is getting rid of their stock in bio vine moving to anither product... a good time to load up on the cheap. :)

What a great start! Well done.....

i prefer the aluminum screen but don't mind the other... but I would suggest something different for the top... aluminium or maybe I've seen people use a chicken wire type of screen on top?... any pics of the screen? Also... I would start buying your plants.... get them animated to living indoors, give you a chance to get them cleaned up .... and ... stores are having a lot of sales right now to lower inventory from what didn't sell from gardening season... petsmart is getting rid of their stock in bio vine moving to anither product... a good time to load up on the cheap. :)

all of petsmart stores?? I'll go right now and stock up!

pet screen is the best but the most pricey, it is soft for your reptiles claws but very durable and lasting.

crickets can chew through fiberglass easy but if you cup feed, it wont be a problem.

aluminum window screen is a must for at least the top, wont rust and can withstand cricket chewing and heat from lamps.

Good tips on top screen, I'll look for other type.
I was at Petsmart yesterday and did notice the half price sale on vine so I took the last 3 6' long vines. I bought a 4' fluorescent fixture for $9 at walmart so I went there to look for 4' 5UVB fluorescent but they only carry up to 24". Need to return 4' from walmart and look for 24" under cabin fixture at Homedepot or Loews then I can use the Petsmart fluorescent.

I like to print this out and laminate it and place it in the back wall. Do you think they would enjoy a little background?
57a_13af31_1b6a3d5e_tn.jpg.thumb

I need to hurry up and finish this project or at least move the cage to where it belong and give my wife parking space back....she's a little grumpy when she's get in the hot van park outside especially Texas heat. :D

Oh that looks like a great start. Like other said, make sure they cant see each other. I personally would look for a different background, I love the idea, but am not sure how they would feel about the water. Stick with patterns that represent their natural habitat. Cool idea though, I am subscribed and curious to see the final project.

So I did manage to work on this project over the weekend and have it move inside the house.

The screen, liner, drainage and egg crate panel are in place.
574_13af37_8a5d7ed_tn.jpg.thumb

575_13af36_b22124d_tn.jpg.thumb

Move it into the house. With lights, plans and background, so far so good.
5a9_13af02_2f3d2b_tn.jpg.thumb

I'll let my son do the decorating the chameleons new home.

The 2 left side will be for these guys, male and female jackesons. Don't know what type of chameleon will be on the right side yet.
59a_13af11_af8d7912_tn.jpg.thumb

will post more pics when finish with the decor.

Unless you can get the temperature separation between a montane species (jacksons) and a lowland species (say a Veiled) its a hard choice. Specially since you are keeping them together like that. I'd go for another montane species with similar husbandry to Jacksons just to make it easier.

Awesome build though! Someday I'll have to copy something like that :rolleyes:

Wow MTB that is an amazing looking cage. ive been thinking up a singular version of that. i was wondering if you had any more pic? like of the top and bottom of the cage. how you attached everything. it look amazing. :D

Great Job mtb!!! I love the backgound image, where did you get that or did you have it made? and what was the cost? I know what you mean about giving you wife back her parking space :mad:....i am in the middle of a new build too and it has been taking up my wife's garage space a little longer than intended & shes not a happy camper:( Cage builds always take garage space priority IMO:cool:

Wow MTB that is an amazing looking cage. ive been thinking up a singular version of that. i was wondering if you had any more pic? like of the top and bottom of the cage. how you attached everything. it look amazing. :D

Hi MOsKeeper, I didn't take any details pics but here's one of the corner pic and basic stretch drawing that I draw this morning for you to use. Don't worry about how it look, main thing is having fun of doing it. :)

5b0_13aefb_9d733a1f_tn.jpg.thumb

Stretch drawing of front view w/door and top view (bottom view look the same).
5b4_13aef7_e6a8c8ce_tn.jpg.thumb

Great Job mtb!!! I love the backgound image, where did you get that or did you have it made? and what was the cost? I know what you mean about giving you wife back her parking space :mad:....i am in the middle of a new build too and it has been taking up my wife's garage space a little longer than intended & shes not a happy camper:( Cage builds always take garage space priority IMO:cool:

I Google online of free image with high resolution and found this image. Download it and make 3 copies, crop each one to each section left, center and right. We have a plotter at work with UV ink and gloss image paper, I plot it at 25"x60" each section and did not need to have it laminated since the mist is so fine and plants is blocking most of the water.

what did you use for the bottom of the encloser im going to build a cage and would like to put that exact same thing please tell me????

Pretty sweet set up! But, as posted earlier..... my concern is that the chams will be able to see each other.

I bought a bunch of fake vines from Garden Ridge and use it to cover for the new chemeleon.
As far as the two Jacksons that we have now I think they will be ok when looking at each in seperate cage since they are now living in the same cage. If not them I will cover it with fake vines.

what did you use for the bottom of the encloser im going to build a cage and would like to put that exact same thing please tell me????

The bottom part is the pond liner that I have extra for my backyard pond project. Then I have eggcrate lighting panel for waste to drop through. The plants is sitting on top of the hard plastic rail that I have laying around in the garage.

I am looking around for a light weight boards to cover the bottom part of the cage after the waste and reserve water containers are in place.....Some old upside down bed head board with fancy design are the idea but too heavy.

Those cages are great! You are right donw the road from me too! Perhaps you can help me build some cages one day. Right now I only have 1 baby Jackson's, but I feel an addiction coming on...

Back
Top Bottom