Chameleon Bites

Never been bitten by a Cham but I have gotten nasty bites from other herps, when I was a kid, I had a trio of leopard geckos. My favorite of the buch was my albino male, he was also the least tolerant of my handling, when he bit down, it left a nice bloody V-shaped cut every time. I also had a columbian tegu when I was 12, he was 16 inches of pure hellfire. He'd bite down and shake like all hell, shredding the whole area of the bite. But of course, I never learned and continued to get bit.

I have been bitten several times.. by the worlds most aggressive Veiled Cham EVER!!!!!

She is a rescue at a centre I volunteer at (actually, all our chams are). They all come in terrible condition and very aggressive. Lucky our others have calmed down and getting used to handling. Except Martha.....

IT HURTS....... A LOT!! She's got a fantastic amount of strength in her grip and her bite lol.. she really has some gorgeous colours, but just soooooo cranky!

I had also been bitten by Ernie once while giving medicine.

Pretty simple.. if they're angry... leave them be.. trust me.. :p

I have been bitten once by each of my boys. Zelig the faly, his tongue had stuck to my finger when grabbing a big, and I didn't want to pull away so I held it there while he walked up and then he bit my finger. It surprised me, and it did hurt, and it did break the skin, but it wasn't terrible.
Now. Then. The mitsio. Different story. Lol.
I decided to rearrange his cage a bit. I was just rotating a plant so that the leaves would be in a better position for the mister. But this required pulling a few branches past some of his vines. This was just going to take a minute, an wasnt going to affect the vine he was on, so I left him in there. Well he was really not liking the idea of me messing with his turf. And I saw that, but I just told him "I'm almost done, just one more branch, I'll be out in a sec..." Apparently that wasn't good enough. From gosh at least 8 inches away, he lunges at my hand, and catches my finger. He immediately released it, and retrated back to his spot, and it happened so fast! I froze. I stuck my hand behind my back so i wouldnt look at it before it stopped hurting. I didn't even realize I had screamed, but apparently I had, because my husband woke up, he was napping in bed behind me. I explained that it was no big deal, I had just gotten bit. He said wow yeah, you're getting blood all over the bed! And I was. I had been shaking my hand behind me, spraying blood all over the bed! Lol. He sent me to the bathroom to rinse it while he got disinfectant and bandages and told me to sit down so I wouldn't pass out. I laughed at him, I'm not going to pass out from a little bite! But once the blood had cleared, and I saw that my fingernail had been cracked clear across, I suddenly got dizzy. Lol! I ended up sitting down on the bathroom floor so I wouldn't fall off the toilet! It was ridiculous. But yeah. My fingernail was crushed, cracked all the way across halfway up the nail bed. I ended up losing it and had a half baked finger for several months. It was crazy. So don't believe everyone when they say they can't do damage - a big angry mitsio at least, CAN do some damage. Lol. But at least a damaged fingernail isn't permanent. Just dont be stupid like me, if they give you warning signs, take them!! haha, oh and keep your faces out of their way, don't want to lose a nose!!
I'm going to look on my computer and see if I can find the pictures of my nail.

Redecorate my cage? I'll redecorate your finger!!

Found a few of the pics I took as I was recovering from my redecorating experience.

Attachments

• from mommys iphone as of sept 18 2012 (424).jpg
    from mommys iphone as of sept 18 2012 (424).jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 126
  • from mommys iphone as of sept 18 2012 (396).jpg
    from mommys iphone as of sept 18 2012 (396).jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 127
  • from mommys iphone as of sept 18 2012 (387).jpg
    from mommys iphone as of sept 18 2012 (387).jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 182
it's so true. nothing else in my profession that wants to taste me a little comes with a proper built-in handle! my only real proof so far of an intelligent higher power. :D

Ha! I'm going to copy this to Richard Dawkins :D ;)

Awesome!! Can you get him to also sign my dogeared copy of "The Blind Watchmaker"?

Hahaha....since I read this I've been thinking about what I would be allowed to say on the forum......:rolleyes:
I saw a great tv series called 'Wonders Of Life' on the BBC recently....
Here is a short excerpt from the script I would like to share with you all - '

'In fact it's estimated there are over 10 billion billion individual insects alive today. Of all the insect groups, it's the beetles, or Coleoptera, that have the greatest number of species........
The biologist J.B.S. Haldane said "If one could conclude as to the nature of the creator from the study of creation then it would appear that God has an inordinate fondness for stars and beetles"

Lol....I personally have more of a fondness for Beatles......but......I can say no more....:D:cool:

Last edited:
wow…i guess this is the ultimate post to refer folks who are asking about cham bites!! :eek:

There is another thread floating around somewhere where a female veiled had torn part of a keepers finger. He took photos and ended up getting stitches for it. I believe it was the result of the "hold-and-shake" bite method that some really aggressive chameleons use.

Back
Top Bottom