Chameleon bitehimself

What's the issue that you're force feeding ?
For the wound you could probably apply Silver Sulphadiazine or Neosporin without numbing or pain relief ingredients. A vet visit might be in order for the wound and the reason of force feeding.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190417-152312_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190417-152312_Facebook.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 22
You really do not want to force feed or force water unless a cham is seriously ill. This would be a very last resort. As forcing them causes extreme stress. Also their bodies and mouths are fragile if you do or push the wrong place you could break something. I would suggest additional hydration methods if this is an area your not certain of.

Per the wound... Keep an eye on it. Make sure you do not start seeing infection. Otherwise you will for sure need a vet and antibiotics.

Why not just feed him some hornworms or silkworms? They have plenty of water. I’m convinced my veiled has never actually drank water in his life. Unless he’s doing it under the cover of night. He hates the dripper and hates when I spray down the enclosure. I include hornworms and silk worms and he has perfect poops.

Why not just feed him some hornworms or silkworms? They have plenty of water. I’m convinced my veiled has never actually drank water in his life. Unless he’s doing it under the cover of night. He hates the dripper and hates when I spray down the enclosure. I include hornworms and silk worms and he has perfect poops.
My veiled I only saw her drink a handful of times in the almost two years I’ve had her and the same with my other two chameleons come to think of it.

They are shy drinkers and get their hydration from the humidity in the air at night when sleeping and through their food.

Just monitor hydration through their poop. It needs to be firm but soft if that makes sense and the Urate ideally is white or mostly white.

Like everyone, I too am curious as to why you are forcing fluids. Many, if not most chameleons are secretive about drinking. Because of this, we go by their urate (urine) color to determine their hydration status. White or cream colored is great, and it’s ok to have some yellow or even a touch of orange on one end. All or mostly dark yellow or orange indicates dehydration.
To help prevent dehydration, make sure you are misting for at least 2 minutes 2-3 times a day - early and right before lights go on and later right before lights go off. You can mist at mid day if needed, or instead use a dripper for about 15-20 minutes. If you have night time temperatures below at least 68-70F, you can use a cool mist fogger and boost night humidity as high as it goes. That simulates the hydration chameleons get in the wild thru fog. As has already been suggested, feeding hornworms and silkworms are also great ways to get some extra fluids into your cham.
If your chameleon is having some other issues, it’s always best to see a vet.

Ok reason I was opening his mouth to give him fluid was because he had very yellow urate so I tried to force it because the vet I go to and the others where all closed and I went the next morning she Said that he would be fine and told me he is a little dehydrated but would be fine she also told me to look after the wound and should I see infection to come back
I do feel really bad for what I did and I wouldn't have done it if I wasn't so worried

Ok reason I was opening his mouth to give him fluid was because he had very yellow urate so I tried to force it because the vet I go to and the others where all closed and I went the next morning she Said that he would be fine and told me he is a little dehydrated but would be fine she also told me to look after the wound and should I see infection to come back
I do feel really bad for what I did and I wouldn't have done it if I wasn't so worried
Oh, ok. So, we’ve gone over some other and better ways to increase hydration, so now you should have some things to try before forcing fluids. It can be so difficult with chameleons at times, but forcing food or water should be the last thing to try when everything else has failed. Besides injuring their mouth while trying to get them to open up, we also risk causing aspiration pneumonia, and then the stress of it all is through the roof for them (and us). Keep a close watch on the wound and hopefully it will heal up quickly. If it isn’t healing, looks to have gotten worse or your chameleon is reluctant to eat, you’ll need a vet visit to evaluate for mouth rot and treatment. Be careful and you may not need to clean the wound after a couple of days. Sometimes we risk making things worse by keeping the area irritated.
So, I know you feel bad and all I can say is this is one of those ‘live and learn’ things. Please keep us posted on how your chameleon is doing and healing. 💗

Oh, ok. So, we’ve gone over some other and better ways to increase hydration, so now you should have some things to try before forcing fluids. It can be so difficult with chameleons at times, but forcing food or water should be the last thing to try when everything else has failed. Besides injuring their mouth while trying to get them to open up, we also risk causing aspiration pneumonia, and then the stress of it all is through the roof for them (and us). Keep a close watch on the wound and hopefully it will heal up quickly. If it isn’t healing, looks to have gotten worse or your chameleon is reluctant to eat, you’ll need a vet visit to evaluate for mouth rot and treatment. Be careful and you may not need to clean the wound after a couple of days. Sometimes we risk making things worse by keeping the area irritated.
So, I know you feel bad and all I can say is this is one of those ‘live and learn’ things. Please keep us posted on how your chameleon is doing and healing. 💗
Will do

And if you are ever unsure of something ask us here. That is what we are here for. We know the different tips and tricks to keeping chameleons. :)

Adjusting misting sessions or adding a dripper are the two easier ways to manage hydration. You can also use a cool mist fogger at night if your temps are below 67.

Back
Top Bottom