Chameleon bit her tongue!

Freedom1

I was just trying to move my chameleon at around noon to clean out her cage. As I was lifting her out she shot her tongue out at my forehead, thinking it was food! Something odd happened... as she was retracting her tongue she seemed to have bitten it. I'm not sure how hard or how much damage it did but for the next minute the end of it was just hanging out of her mouth! Then she sucked it back in herself and has been acting normal ever since. I was on the phone with the vet and they said that if it happens again to call them and make an appointment. They said that it was a good thing that she was able to put the tongue back in the mouth. I'm praying that there's not much damage even though that seems like a low chance. How long should I wait to offer food? I will hand feed up close.

I was just trying to move my chameleon at around noon to clean out her cage. As I was lifting her out she shot her tongue out at my forehead, thinking it was food! Something odd happened... as she was retracting her tongue she seemed to have bitten it. I'm not sure how hard or how much damage it did but for the next minute the end of it was just hanging out of her mouth! Then she sucked it back in herself and has been acting normal ever since. I was on the phone with the vet and they said that if it happens again to call them and make an appointment. They said that it was a good thing that she was able to put the tongue back in the mouth. I'm praying that there's not much damage even though that seems like a low chance. How long should I wait to offer food? I will hand feed up close.
Try to hand feed her to see if she is shooting her tongue out. Maybe she teared the muscles in her tongue or just got confused and pulled it back in her mouth later. Do you give her enough calcium?

I haven’t tried to feed her yet. I usually feed her closer to 11 or 12. Never past 1pm though so she can digest the food properly.

I have good news!! I just feed her and she was able to use her tongue! Granted, it was very slow and careful movements but she was able to use it nonetheless. I wonder why she bit her tongue yesterday? Maybe she thought it was a worm?

When mine strike and hit something other than a feeder, their tongues have a short second where they stick instead of going right back with a yummy bug. Almost sounds like that’s what happened, but she closed her mouth before her tongue made it back inside.

When mine strike and hit something other than a feeder, their tongues have a short second where they stick instead of going right back with a yummy bug. Almost sounds like that’s what happened, but she closed her mouth before her tongue made it back inside.
That makes sense. When her tongue was just hanging there it really freaked me out but it seems okay now.

Back
Top Bottom