Chameleon and noise/viberations

RetroSquid

Ok I know they do not actually hear normally cause they do not have actual ears to process noise like we do.
but i was wondering since I'm building a table for him and I was wondering if I can put stuff to absorb vibrations to his enclosure.
sadly I have wooden floor and yeah movement or music from other rooms kinda carry over.
and it would just be some padding underneath his enclosure cause I'm setting up a drainage spot for misting and have all his feeders in a designated area so can came maintain everything in a proper way.
I also wanna add I know movement is a huge thing and I was considering getting like side panels like an aquarium but to put on the outside of the enclosure to see more a tropical environment then just seeing my room

So they absolutely feel vibrations. Side panels are great as well.
so dampening as much as I can around the enclosure is a good idea or bad idea?, cause I have these pads I can put at the base of the table and underneath the enclosure?
and great i shall order some!

so dampening as much as I can around the enclosure is a good idea or bad idea?, cause I have these pads I can put at the base of the table and underneath the enclosure?
and great i shall order some!
So it is up to you. I do have a rug on my hard wood floor to lessen the foot steps in and out. A little vibration is not going to harm them. But I would not put a speaker from a stereo system next to him. lol But you should not have any electrical equipment near it in case of water spill out.

But as far as anything additional. None of us worry about it that I know of. I have my boys sitting on their sturdy tables and a rug down but that is all. And honestly the rug is down more for their safety in case one decides to jump off me there is padding. Never happened to me but I have seen threads where it has.

alright just spit balling certain ideas as i build this space for him, we had a lady rent out a room from us and yeah she complained about hearing everything so just something i was thinking about lol
and yeah im buying extension in case of water spills.
trying to get my hands on a decent money tree but i cant find any anywhere.

alright just spit balling certain ideas as i build this space for him, we had a lady rent out a room from us and yeah she complained about hearing everything so just something i was thinking about lol
and yeah im buying extension in case of water spills.
trying to get my hands on a decent money tree but i cant find any anywhere.
Try lowes or home depot for plants even your local nursery.

As far as noise its not the noise... it is the vibrations they can pick up on. So I don't have a radio or tv any where near mine.

so dampening as much as I can around the enclosure is a good idea or bad idea?
What kind of sound (dB) and/or vibration are we talking about? I once knew a guy who played his stereo so loud it caused his guinea pig to pass out.

Noise​
Average decibels (dB)​
Leaves rustling, soft music, whisper30
Average home noise40
Normal conversation, background music60
Office noise, inside car at 60 mph70
Vacuum cleaner, average radio75
Heavy traffic, window air conditioner, noisy restaurant, power lawn mower80–89 (sounds above 85 dB are harmful)
Subway, shouted conversation90–95
Boom box, ATV, motorcycle96–100
School dance101–105
Chainsaw, leaf blower, snowmobile106–115
Sports crowd, rock concert, loud symphony120–129
Stock car races130
Gun shot, siren at 100 feet140
https://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/tf4173

In general, I can't see how noise/vibration reduction would be a bad idea.

thanks for all the info everyone!
and the sound for me is just bass that rumbles through the house.
I do live next to a busy street and as I mentioned before I have hollow wood floors, so whenever my family gets in the mood to put anything loud it does carry over a bit.
I ain't majorly concerned about it cause he's seems to be fine and actively roaming around and doesn't seem stressed at all anymore.
it's just something that came into mind cause i'm building him an area in my room and just something I thought about cause of the websites and all the stuff I've been reading about them.
and would anyone know where to buy those side panels?

Try lowes or home depot for plants even your local nursery.

As far as noise its not the noise... it is the vibrations they can pick up on. So I don't have a radio or tv any where near mine.
oh I've been to Lowes a lot lately cause we building something in our backyard.
none xD
our nursery is closed.
sadly many places are closing down again due to covid.

oh I've been to Lowes a lot lately cause we building something in our backyard.
none xD
our nursery is closed.
sadly many places are closing down again due to covid.
And your looking in their indoor plant section too huh? That really sucks. I only have one local nursery. They were out of everything for 3 months during covid and then finally got a shipment in.

And your looking in their indoor plant section too huh? That really sucks. I only have one local nursery. They were out of everything for 3 months during covid and then finally got a shipment in.
yeah sadly most the stuff they do have which isn't a bad selection, is just not what I need for the cham.
and that's crazy we went to several stores looking for some but yeah everything is how you just said becoming empty.
and I don't wanna order online.

yeah sadly most the stuff they do have which isn't a bad selection, is just not what I need for the cham.
and that's crazy we went to several stores looking for some but yeah everything is how you just said becoming empty.
and I don't wanna order online.
That is too bad... Here I can get money trees, dwarf umbrellas, draceana and pothos pretty easily but getting Hibiscus for my outdoor cage is a nightmare. They hardly ever get them in and when they do they are ridiculously expensive.

I don't order from online because you get small plants. It always takes so long for them to become big enough.

dang guess luck isn't in my favor lol
hopefully soon some come my way and open up.
i so wanna do an outdoor enclosure but thats way down the line xD.
how long did it take for you to build it?

Wow i just showed my fam your enclosure and now we all excited to do our own haha! thanks a bunch this is amazing!
And I did it by myself. It really was not hard. All the pieces were either 4 foot or 2 foot with the exception of the doors and the middle joints on the front and back. Those middle ones were roughly 46 inches to fit between the top and the bottom. :) I think if I could figure it out and do it over a weekend anyone can.

it's just something that came into mind cause i'm building him an area in my room and just something I thought about cause of the websites and all the stuff I've been reading about them.
and would anyone know where to buy those side panels?
There are so many possibilities; anything from foam core poster board to PVC panels (there are others—look & shop around) to rigid foam insulation (white, pink, or blue, ¼" or ½").

If you're looking for something to incorporate into a DIY enclosure, I'd go with vinyl (like Dragon Strand uses).

Yes, Beman did an outstanding job in record (IMO) time. For more ideas, there are several threads in the Enclosures forum and—of course—google images.

I got the white side panels for my medium Tall Atrium at a sign shop. Lowes and home depot sometimes carry it too. It is pvc sheets and they come in 4x8ft sections. I bought the 1/8 inch for attaching to the cage.

Back
Top Bottom