Chameleon and Frogs

Barb

Here is my question. My male veiled has a large cage. I have two red eyed tree frogs in a terrarium. The back is covered and half of both sides. The front has the doors. I put the frogs cage on a stool inside the Veiled cage. I have the frogs light protected from my veiled burning himself on it. My question, will this stress my veiled out, hearing the crickets that are in my frogs cage, but not being able to find them and eat them? The frogs are nocturnal, I don't think my veiled even knows they are in there. Reason for so much of the frogs cage being covered. All thoughts welcomed. BTW, I just did this a couple days ago. I have had my veiled since January, he turned 1 in February.

well, Chameleons really don't hear so I don't think that would be a problem. My question to you is, why are you putting the frogs in the Veild's cage? And how large is the Veild's cage?

If veil cannot see the crickets, it sounds okay. Otherwise there might be some chameleon tongue hitting the glass action. Sound of crickets should'nt bug him.

I wouldn't put it pass a hungry chameleon to eat a frog :cool:

I don't think hearing them can cause stress, because Chameleons lack the outer ear and therefor only can 'hear' very low frequencies. I would say the main problem is mixing two different climatic zones together. Red eye tree frogs are from the wet tropics while veiled are from moist valleys within a semi arid environment. There will be huge differences in overall husbandry requirements.

I would leave the frogs outside for sure.

The frogs are in their own cage, inside the veiled cage. The frogs need a higher humidity, as the veiled does. The frogs also need approx. the same temps, however have their own heat source as they are too far away from the veileds heat source. I did it just because really. Also, to help keep the frogs humidify up, as my veil has a mister and to help with the crickets not getting out into the house. I seem to have good luck with them breeding even when I am not trying to.

I don't think hearing them can cause stress, because Chameleons lack the outer ear and therefor only can 'hear' very low frequencies. I would say the main problem is mixing two different climatic zones together. Red eye tree frogs are from the wet tropics while veiled are from moist valleys within a semi arid environment. There will be huge differences in overall husbandry requirements.

I would leave the frogs outside for sure.

I am not sure what is so different between their needs. Both need a higher humidity and both need warm day temps, cooler night temps. Now I do know the veiled can take much cooler then the frogs, but that is accounted for.

same dilemma

I just bought a red eyed tree frog this past sunday @ an expo. I was kinda wondering the same thing, except letting the frog be free range in the cage w/ the cham. my main concern would be the veiled eating the frog, however they are on opposite schedules. everything I read, said no definitive proof on UVB or other lighting. basically would be just fine in a terrarium in a room with no lights. I would say it depends on the individual veiled you have. they ALL have different personalities. I named two from the same clutch 'Sweet Pea' & 'Rebel' as they are night & day from each other. Put a video camera on them, watch it later, so you don't influence the outcome. If your veiled doesn't show any stress coloring, hissing, or trying to eat it, I would say enjoy them together. I'm sure i'll get a lot of hate mail over me saying that, but chams all seem to be different or indifferent, so to speak. enjoy your animal(s).

I wish they could live in the same enclosure, but I'm sure the frogs would be eaten. The frogs can have UVB, but its not needed. Mine don't have any and won't get any in the chams cage either as its blocked from them. The only thing I have seen different since putting the frogs in with the Cham, is my Cham has wondered down onto the top of their cage, but he does go down that low anyway, just never had anything in that area to climb on. I will for sure get them out if my Cham seems stressed, but he doesn't seem to stress much. He is a BIG guy, so I guess he thinks he is too tuff to stress LOL.
Congrats on your frog. They are really cool looking. Just a little boring, unless you can stay up long enough to watch them.:)

Hey guys,

I know this is an old thread, but I came upon it while searching for something else, and wanted to add...

My veiled cham (Basil) and my green tree frog (Lenard) have been roommates in a 16x16x30 cage for about six months, with no incidents or signs of unhappiness.

raz30p.jpg

28alqvk.jpg

We don't see the frog often - there's endless places for him to hide - but he makes his way around the cage during the day often enough that we never really worry that he's gone "totally missing."

We know they're aware of each other because when we first introduced the frog, Basil flipped. She blew up and displayed colors I never saw before. I seriously considered pulling the plug on the idea, but Lenard quickly found his way to the bottom of the cage (where I set it up for his comfort and was hoping he'd hang), so I decided to give it a chance and keep a close eye.

Basil mellowed, and now when Lenard is hanging out nearby, Basil barely rotates an eyeball.

Seems to be working out and I hope it lasts.

I just wanna say I wouldn't recommend this.. I don't understand why the frog cage is inside the cham cage? It really doesn't make sense. Also do not free range the frogs with an adult veiled they more than likely will end up food.. And last but not least they could cross contaminate each other.. Each are susceptible to different things.. One could transmit something to the other that could possibly harm them... Best bet is keep the frogs separate and the cage imo.

This is 100% a bad idea. 90 plus percent of Red Eyes are imported and can carry some very nasty pathogens/parasites as well as Chytrid.. These anphibians require a considerable amount of humidity and moisture unlike the Calyptratus "Veiled".. Its never a good idea to intermix species which require a coniderable difference in husbandry. This comes from an extensive background in Amphibian care and husbandry..

Attachments

• 20130519_152158.jpg
    20130519_152158.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 415
very cool dart frog thanks for sharing.:D

One thing you forgot to mention (which goes without saying really) it's only a matter of time before that frog becomes lunch! Bad idea indeed "I whole heartedly agree'

I'm extremely surprised by that but it's cute picture! About 15 years ago my husband fed his male veiled chameleon a frog and Gomez died and was 6 years old and it was just a regular outside frog.I think it was because it was slimy .

No. Sadly, my veiled, Basil died about 8 months after that last pic was taken. A few months later, I got my panther, Finn.

Finn moved in with my frog Lenard, and they've been fast friends from the start. They're often hanging near each other in different locations around the cage. I thought it was real cute yesterday though when they were hanging out above the mister, nose to nose for over an hour.

I'm so sorry to hear that. :( And putting a frog and a cham together sounds like a terrible idea but who knows, you're the one who's actually done it and it seems to work out great for you.:)

Back
Top Bottom