Chameleon Aging

okiroo

Avid Member
Clair is now getting up in her years for a female veiled chameleon. She still has a vice grip and eats/ basks like champ but I've noticed she's set in her spots and doesn't travel near as much when she was younger.

I was wondering how yall's chams have changed as they have aged? There is definitely a difference

More or less members or chameleons 2-3+ years lets discuss our chameleons aging

---I personally practice restricted feeding successfully so hopefully she lives another 2-3years. Clair has only ever laid 1 time.

Morgan you have done a fantastic job with Clair. I've had to deal with allot of aging chameleons. Slowing down is one of the first signs. Several of my guys had arthritis and there's meds that help with that. I had one with high blood pressure and hardening of the arteries. If you have a good Cham vet it's probably a good time for a check up, blood work and a x-ray to see if there's a way to keep Clair comfortable and happy in her last few years with you. Enjoy every moment that you have with her. Their time with us is always too short.

Thanks Y'all :)

Jann- Yes she's due for checkup soon. I always feel better after the vet looks her over. Their lifespan is way to short I agree. Especially for our sweet veiled females.

Good thread.. and shows where the hobby has gotten where this is a question :)

What is considered senior? used to see a lot of 3-5 or up to 5 now 5+ years So perhaps now that chams are living longer.. more captive bred, so one knows that "adults" age.. not just full grown.. is it time to define more than baby, sub adult, adult??

Amanda :)

Muddyfeet,

I agree further age descriptions would be good; however, because age and species ect effect how long the animal will live it seems like it would be hard to say a chameleon should live 8 years while in fact a female veiled may only live 3-4 while a male may live a few longer. Females don't tend to live is long because of egg laying (or live birthing).

Maybe a chart of some sort for all the more common species? We should take survey of species gender and age lived for all the chameleons on the forums to get a better idea.

of course there's those that die of poor husbandry...

Back
Top Bottom