Chameleon acting strange

Flacon67

Established Member
My chameleon is acting very strange. He is laying down a lot, not rly perching on branches just laying down. I’ve came in my room twice to see him at the bottom. I haven’t seen him eat in a while and he isn’t a nice green either? Any ideas about what’s wrong? He also has his mouth open a lot.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

It’s a male chameleon with about 5 months of age. It’s been in my care for 3 months.

I handle it about 3-4 times a week.

I feed it 6-15 crickets daily. And sometimes one horn worm. And I’m gutloading with fresh fruits and veggies.

I give it calcium without d3 everyday expect Friday. And on the first Wednesday of the month I give it d3 next Wednesday vitamins and so on

I give it distilled water with a soray bottle. I must 3-4 times a day.

Fecal is nicely brown and white urine things.

No history.

I am using a zoo med screen cage.16x16x30 inch

I am using a 100 watt bulb, keeps the temp around 85-90 at the basking spot. And a compact coil uvb zoo med. I know I need a t5ho but I am getting one.

My humidity is about 60-70. I spray my cage and use live plants.

I have a pothos and a asparagus fern.

My cage is located on a nightstand and not near any vents. No high traffic areas.

I am located in central Georgia. Near Atlanta

Per your last two threads that you were given feedback on. It is the same issues causing this.

1. It is still too hot. Panther babies should not be hotter then 82 at basking and Veiled babies should not be hotter then 85. You can fix this by switching to a 75 watt bulb.
2. You still do not have the correct lighting.. This has to be upgraded now not later. It is extremely important. The compact bulbs do not provide anywhere near the proper levels of UVI. You have now had him for 3 months using the incorrect lighting.

Now he is not eating which is a tell tell sign that he is getting worse. He will get sick and die without the proper lighting and the proper basking temps. You have to upgrade this TODAY not later.

Not too mention possible D3 overdose. And to small of enclosure. Sometimes I want to stuff you people into a duffle bag for a month and ask you how you like living like that! Correct your husbandry issues kid and correct them now! This isn't a game and this isn't funny anymore. Pretty soon you won't have help here anymore when you come looking. Ever heard of the boy that cried wolf?

Last edited:
Not too mention possible D3 overdose. And to small of enclosure. Sometimes I want to stuff you people into a duffle bag for a month and ask you how you like living like that! Correct your husbandry issues kid and correct them now! This isn't a game and this isn't funny anymore. Pretty soon you won't have help here anymore when you come looking. Ever heard of the boy that cried wolf?
I don't see a D3 overdose issue. It would appear they are doing Without D3 each feed then rotating between with D3 and a multi every Wednesday.
I give it calcium without d3 everyday expect Friday. And on the first Wednesday of the month I give it d3 next Wednesday vitamins and so on

Back
Top Bottom