Chamaeleo rudis

wow

Hey i was wondering how heavy a full grown rudis gravid would weight i need to know because the scale i plan to buy only goes up to 300 grams. Also what type of supplement schdule do you use with what? I have heard that they can be kept together but am hesitant of trying it has anyone had any experiance with it?

Hello wow. Excellent questions.
I think you would be fairly safe with that scale. 300 grams is actually a little over half a pound and most chameleons don't weight that much. I can't seem to find my notes on the Jewelled rudis (they are slightly larger than the regular rudis) I kept, but some of the closely related species I work with range from 30grams to 50grams when gravid.

I use Susan Donohue/Walkabout Farms "Montane Shade" on my chameleons daily but I'm afraid it might not be available anymore. :( It is a shame because I really don't feel the more common supplements (Rep-cal, Minerall et.al) are near the quality of the Walkabout Farms formula(s).

I believe the rudis, and their closely related brethren, can be kept in groups. They seem to have a much more calm demeanour than some of the larger species of chameleons. Depending on the individual specimen though, there are points of the year where I can not have them live communally. In the wild, they can escape from amorous and/or aggressive males if needed. In a cage, no matter how big, they can't. There is certainly nothing wrong with admitting you are hesitant of housing them in groups (in fact, I really respect that :) ) and in the case of the rudis, housing them individually is not necessary and will not harm them. I don't think there is any psychological or physical need for housing in groups with the bitaeniatus family.

The rudis are a nice, small, underrated chameleon and there are plenty CB specimens available if you are considering them. Avoid WC's!

Good luck.
Trace

Thanks for the info i plan on buying cb. I know that montane or lowland not shore witch one a rudis is do not need as much
supplementation as savanna types, i plan on supplementing/feeding like i would for any chameleon when young but after 6mnths or so i will tone it down, this is my plan if it isn’t enough or to little i would love some input. Calcium 3 times a week, calcium with d3 2 times a month, Herptivite/minerall once a month alternating between every other month. Food i will staple crickets 4 times a week and offer fly and various worms for treats. This will all change when they’re outside or breeding. I have always wanted to build a large showy cage where i can have a 1.2 or 1.3 but would have extra cages setup just in case, just imagine a large cage with hibiscus and other flowering plants with 3 rudis in it.

Last edited:
Rudis come from a fairly wide range in east Africa. Populations have been noted in Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, DR Congo and Sudan so there is a variety of habitats they occupy but most are found at 1000m plus. I consider the rudis to be a montane species.

Again, I'm completely unfamiliar with the usual brands of supplements (perhaps someone else could offer advice on this?) but your dusting regime sounds good to me. I have not found the rudis to be fussy eaters so most insects are accepted.

Again, good luck. I too would love a huge cage for my goetzei. Some day... some day...
Cheers,
Trace

Trace you are right on with the weight of the gravid rudis, my last gravid female was 43 grams about a week before droping

Back
Top Bottom