Chamaeleo bitaeniatus

They are kind of hard to come by. I had a female awhile back. They are pretty boring as chameleons go and don't move much, but cool nonetheless. Have you come accross some?

They're around quite a bit up here (wc, of course). I love my pygmies (brevs), and tend to gravitate towards the smaller chams, but I'm just wondering what others think about the side stripes. Easy to keep, breed, etc. Also, if they're not really popular, no point in breeding them, as I won't be able to sell them.

They're around quite a bit up here (wc, of course). I love my pygmies (brevs), and tend to gravitate towards the smaller chams, but I'm just wondering what others think about the side stripes. Easy to keep, breed, etc. Also, if they're not really popular, no point in breeding them, as I won't be able to sell them.

They are live bearers, so you won't get stuck with tons of tons of babies. You would be lucky if a few pulled though. You don't need too large of cages for them, that is a plus. The one I had was fearless, she would stare down my Oustalets 10X her size!

They are live bearers, so you won't get stuck with tons of tons of babies. You would be lucky if a few pulled though. You don't need too large of cages for them, that is a plus. The one I had was fearless, she would stare down my Oustalets 10X her size!

Do they live communally?

OMG! Did someone say bitaeniatus!

I personally think that the entire bitaeniatus complex are the best chams ever! The bitans specifically are fairly easy to keep; just like almost all other montane species they like it cool and humid. They are not an active species, they will literally sit in the same spot for days on end! I’m serious. Large caging is not required. Yes they can live communally but I find gravid females can get quite testy in the presence of a male so it was easier to keep the ladies in their own cage. I’m at work right now and don’t have my literature handy but most books claim they breed several times a year but I did not notice that in my collection but as you know, I’m big on the seasonal variations so they may have fallen into the cycle along with the rest of the posse in my montane room. On average my litters were 12-15 babies and are far easier to raise to adulthood than some of the other ovoviviparous chameleons. They can be difficult to sex (the males have a very subtle bulge) so don’t necessarily believe the importer that you are getting a pair.

Remember though, this is Canada and if it’s not a Panther or Veiled it just won’t sell. Period.

Newborn female:

full

Adult male:

full

The official name is Trioceros bitaeniatus now.

Cheers,
Trace

Last edited by a moderator:
That adult male is awesome. Has coloration similar to a goetzei. I cant believe you had trouble selling those offspring. (I actually can beleive it, but its so ridiculous) Those make a panther or veiled look plain in my opinion.

I did say it Trace! Holly has a bunch of wc right now, and I'm considering them again. They're definitely cute, and they seem to have the right personality for me. Also, Montanes fit perfectly with the temps of my house. Having said that, as I think I mentioned before, I feel quite a lot of guilt getting wc animals if I am not going to breed them, and as you mentioned, even if I do, they won't have anywhere to go. On the other hand, if you were comfortable sending me something (at some point), and you don't mind me having one or two as pets, then I'd certainly feel better about that than the wc.
Just something I've been thinking since seeing them on Holly's list. I still have more plans for my brevs, so won't be dealing with another species until later this year. Of course I'd also like to find a male for my Werner's, but I'm not being overly hopeful in that regard.
I'd love to talk small chams anytime, and if you ever have something you feel is appropriate for me, shoot me a pm. No veileds or panthers please LOL :D

That adult male is awesome. Has coloration similar to a goetzei. I cant believe you had trouble selling those offspring. (I actually can beleive it, but its so ridiculous) Those make a panther or veiled look plain in my opinion.

Really, it's hard to find anything that's not a veiled or panther up here. Anything else is usually wc, or at least that's what I see. I like the little guys -- lots of personality in a cute little package!

Oh, now I'm going to be staring at that male all day. He looks naughty ;) The little ones are always up to something :)

I've been looking for these for a while. I haven't seen them down here since Nick Mole imported some last year. I'm hoping some come in this year as I would like to start a decent breeding project with them.

Back
Top Bottom