Cham with kidney failure

Kenzie662

Does anyone have any experience with kidney failure? Just found out today that my cham has it. His calcium phosphorus levels were wayyyy off as the vet explained most his calcium is going to his kidneys. He also has been progressively losing weight (last year he was 1.31 grams and now he is 1.12) he drinks very little... the last thing I want is for my cham to suffer. any advice to share?

Welcome to the forums. I’m sorry to hear that your chameleon is not well. Does your chameleon still eat? Did the vet do bloodwork? I’ve had chameleons with kidney problems, high uric acid levels but they would drink allot of water. They were put on meds and their health improved. I’ll try to remember the name of the meds. I believe it started with an A.

Thank you for the reply! Yes he had bloodwork today, he’s been lethargic and weak lately. Yesterday I found him laying with his head in the dirt of the potted plant in his cage, and he’s been hanging upside down. The vet gave him fluids and a calcium shot, he goes back Thursday to see if this helps him. I think his problem right now is that his phosphorus levels are double what his calcium levels are. He’s been on antibiotics for a respiratory infection and I took him to the vet about two weeks ago for a bump on his lower jaw so they gave him more antibiotics just to be safe (I don’t know why because I thought that would be harmful)

Welcome to the forums. I’m sorry to hear that your chameleon is not well. Does your chameleon still eat? Did the vet do bloodwork? I’ve had chameleons with kidney problems, high uric acid levels but they would drink allot of water. They were put on meds and their health improved. I’ll try to remember the name of the meds. I believe it started with an A.
Allopurinol?

Thank you for the reply! Yes he had bloodwork today, he’s been lethargic and weak lately. Yesterday I found him laying with his head in the dirt of the potted plant in his cage, and he’s been hanging upside down. The vet gave him fluids and a calcium shot, he goes back Thursday to see if this helps him. I think his problem right now is that his phosphorus levels are double what his calcium levels are. He’s been on antibiotics for a respiratory infection and I took him to the vet about two weeks ago for a bump on his lower jaw so they gave him more antibiotics just to be safe (I don’t know why because I thought that would be harmful)

Antibiotics can be hard on the kidneys. I always give extra water when my guys are on antibiotics.

Me too, I give him monthly showers!! My little Cham is 6 years old... any idea on the lifespan of a cham with kidney failure? I know it’s a tough topic but is it cause for euthanasia ?

You may have to ask the vet those questions. I’d call your vet and ask if the Allopurinol might help and get that if you can. I’d see how he’s doing on your next vet visit and only you can make the choice about letting him go. In your heart, you will know when it’s time.

You may have to ask the vet those questions. I’d call your vet and ask if the Allopurinol might help and get that if you can. I’d see how he’s doing on your next vet visit and only you can make the choice about letting him go. In your heart, you will know when it’s time.
Thank you so much for all the info... I really wish the question could be answered for me. I’ve had this guy for 6 years he was my first pet and I couldn’t have asked for a better chameleon. I wish he had a different outcome. Next vet visit will determine if the shots are working or not so I will see then. I just don’t want him to suffer at all, i also wish he could tell me if he’s in pain :(

What SPECIFIC supplements have you been giving him and how often for each? I'm particularly interested in the calcium, phos, D3 and form of vitamin A in them. Is the vitamin A prEformed (retinol, palmitate, retinyl) or prOformed (beta carotene)?

What SPECIFICALLY have you been feeding/gutloading the insects with?

What UVB light do you use? When did you change it last? Is it a long linear tube light?

How are you providing water and how often?

What's the basking temperature?

Are his ankles swollen?

Last edited:
What SPECIFIC supplements have you been giving him and how often for each? I'm particularly interested in the calcium, phos, D3 and form of vitamin A in them. Is the vitamin A prEformed (retinol, palmitate, retinyl) or prOformed (beta carotene)?

What SOECIFICALLY have you been feeding/gutloading the insects with?

What UVB light do you use? When did you change it last? Is it a long linear tube light?

Are his ankles swol

What SOECIFICALLY have you been feeding/gutloading the insects with?

Are his ankles swollen?

I gut load his crickets with this flukers orange cubes and fresh carrots and other safe food... I dust his crickets with calcium powder that has d3 in it every time he is fed.. he has a basking bulb and a uvb bulb. Along with that he does have an open cage so he goes onto a big tree and soaks up lots of sunlight !! He also gets a monthly dust of replashy vitamin a. His uvb light is up to date! He has a watering system and I do mist his cage as well about twice a day. He also gets monthly showers etc... He hasn’t been drinking as much. His basking temp is around 85-95. I use an 100w bulb for him and it’s 6-8 inches away... his ankles are not swollen at all!! He just has that bump under his jaw.

@Kenzie662 said..."I gut load his crickets with this flukers orange cubes and fresh carrots and other safe food"... The orange cubes are not recommended. I would use dandelion greens, kale, collards, mustard greens, escarole, endive, squash, sweet red pepper, sweet potato, and a TINY bit of fruit such as apples, pears, melon, berries, etc.

You said..."I dust his crickets with calcium powder that has d3 in it every time he is fed"...it's quite likely he's getting too much D3 from supplements which can contribute to kidney problems. D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues. It's better to just use a phos free calcium powder with D3 twice a month lightly...and leave the chameleon to produce the rest of the D3 it needs from its exposure to the UVB light.

You said..."Along with that he does have an open cage so he goes onto a big tree and soaks up lots of sunlight !!"...if the sunlight is passing through the glass he won't get any UVB from it. If he's out in the room all the time, is he getting enough exposure to the UVB?

You said..."He also gets a monthly dust of replashy vitamin a. His uvb light is up to date!"...be careful if the vitamin A is prEformed (not beta carotene). Good that he has an up to date UVB..long linear tube UVB??

You said. "He has a watering system and I do mist his cage as well about twice a day. He also gets monthly showers etc... He hasn’t been drinking as much"...I would add a dripper to the cage.

You said... "his ankles are not swollen at all!!... That's good.

@Kenzie662 said..."I gut load his crickets with this flukers orange cubes and fresh carrots and other safe food"... The orange cubes are not recommended. I would use dandelion greens, kale, collards, mustard greens, escarole, endive, squash, sweet red pepper, sweet potato, and a TINY bit of fruit such as apples, pears, melon, berries, etc.

You said..."I dust his crickets with calcium powder that has d3 in it every time he is fed"...it's quite likely he's getting too much D3 from supplements which can contribute to kidney problems. D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues. It's better to just use a phos free calcium powder with D3 twice a month lightly...and leave the chameleon to produce the rest of the D3 it needs from its exposure to the UVB light.

You said..."Along with that he does have an open cage so he goes onto a big tree and soaks up lots of sunlight !!"...if the sunlight is passing through the glass he won't get any UVB from it. If he's out in the room all the time, is he getting enough exposure to the UVB?

You said..."He also gets a monthly dust of replashy vitamin a. His uvb light is up to date!"...be careful if the vitamin A is prEformed (not beta carotene). Good that he has an up to date UVB..long linear tube UVB??

You said. "He has a watering system and I do mist his cage as well about twice a day. He also gets monthly showers etc... He hasn’t been drinking as much"...I would add a dripper to the cage.

You said... "his ankles are not swollen at all!!... That's good.
Okay good to know. He’s very good with going back into his cage and even if he doesn’t I put him back! He has the long tube uvb light. He does have a dripper in his cage!! Thank you so much for the help ! I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom