cham will not eat worms

Momma Lauren

My cham will not eat worms. I have tried hand feeding them, he "runs" the other way (he is still a baby and some days he wants nothing to do with me). I have tried placing them in a bowl in the bottom of the cage... nothing. Two days ago I finally attatched a bowl to the side of the cage in perfect reach for him... again, nothing.
My cham is 3-4 months old, so he's still young and not 100% comfortable with me. I do not plan on giving up on worms. I will try and introduce them in a month or so, but.... should I be worried if he isn't getting any worms in his diet at this point? Any suggestions?

I haven't tried worms on my 3 month old, but I plan on trying roaches and mantis babies once they hatch. I figure mantis will be superb because they are tree dwellers and won't hide like those damn crickets. I wouldn't worry about it. What kind of "worms" are your talking about?

In my admittedly limited experience, chams can be picky about their food. They may love a type of feeder regularly, then suddenly get "bored" with it. Offering a variety is always a good idea, and will usually entice a picky one to eat (like small green hornworms). Varying the gut load of feeders can help, purportedly.

I haven't tried worms on my 3 month old, but I plan on trying roaches and mantis babies once they hatch. I figure mantis will be superb because they are tree dwellers and won't hide like those damn crickets. I wouldn't worry about it. What kind of "worms" are your talking about?

I've tried silk and meal worms both.

You have a picky Cham as just like my friend. We both got ours at the same time AKA same nest, clutch whatever you call them and my Cham has been by far a better eater. She never sees her Cham eat where Ozzie will eat out of my hand until he explodes LOL!!! You have a shy Cham.

You have a picky Cham as just like my friend. We both got ours at the same time AKA same nest, clutch whatever you call them and my Cham has been by far a better eater. She never sees her Cham eat where Ozzie will eat out of my hand until he explodes LOL!!! You have a shy Cham.

I knew he was shy but it didn't occur to me that it would effect his eating habits. Hopefully he will get used to me and break out of his shell :confused: I have only had him a month.

*edit to add* how old is your cham?

Yep I have had Ozzie one month and from day one even on the car ride home he was licking water off the sides of the container he was in so I felt confident that he was not shy.
I knew he was shy but it didn't occur to me that it would effect his eating habits. Hopefully he will get used to me and break out of his shell :confused: I have only had him a month.

Try putting a small silkworm on a branch on his plant where he can see it and just leave him alone and he just might eat it.

Last edited:
Awe I am sorry ok like Jann said try a worm on one of the leaves or even better Ozzie responds to is house flies. That gets him so motivated that he will eat anything after he eats a house fly. Chams like fast movement.
I'm jealous :( I want my cham to be that outgoing.

I put a few silkworms in a clear plastic shallow tupperware and wedge it into some vines/branches. The worms can't crawl out and Budgie's interest always gets the better of her. Once she sees the wriggling and I'm nowhere in sight (hiding round the corner) she gobbles them up :D

Also since you have only tried silks and mealworms you can also try superworms and hornworms and see if he likes them. Hornworms would probably outgrow your baby in a few days though.

Try putting a small silkworm on a branch on his plant where he can see it and just leave him alone and he just might eat it.

This is how I got my baby to start eating worms. Placed them on a branch and as soon as the door was closed he would run up and zap it. Then he started taking them from tongs and now he will take them from my fingers. He will eat out of a cup but generally hates it and will not eat out of the cup till he is sure I am not going to give him some worms LOL. I never feed worms from the cup just crickets and dubias.

Awe I am sorry ok like Jann said try a worm on one of the leaves or even better Ozzie responds to is house flies. That gets him so motivated that he will eat anything after he eats a house fly. Chams like fast movement.

tried putting the worms on the branch.. nothing
As others mentioned maybe I should try and wedge the bowl I have into the limbs and leaves instead of attached to the side of the cage.

I put a few silkworms in a clear plastic shallow tupperware and wedge it into some vines/branches. The worms can't crawl out and Budgie's interest always gets the better of her. Once she sees the wriggling and I'm nowhere in sight (hiding round the corner) she gobbles them up :D

I'm going to try this. Right now I have it attatched to the side of the cage.

Also since you have only tried silks and mealworms you can also try superworms and hornworms and see if he likes them. Hornworms would probably outgrow your baby in a few days though.

I was hesitant to try superworms because I've heard they are like steak compared to hot dogs lol and that some chams won't eat anything else after being introduced to them. Not to mention I can't find any small enough around here.

Superworms haven't made my baby turn away other food but they wiggle a lot and he will not let them go for a few seconds without zapping it. A super was the first thing I got him to take from my fingers and he has even taken one from my 5 y/o son today. I am talking about small ones about 1".

Well all of my lizards have accepted everything i have given them I think the key is variety and moderation. ONCE one of my beardies wouldnt look at crickets for a few days because i gave her 5 supers in one day but she got over it eventually n eats everything again.

Back
Top Bottom