Cham sometimes leaves tongue out?

Hi, every now and then my chameleon keeps her tongue out just a little, and I try misting her but it doesn't work. She is able to put it back in, but I'm not sure if it's a serious thing or not. Here's a picture, image.jpg

Hi, every now and then my chameleon keeps her tongue out just a little, and I try misting her but it doesn't work. She is able to put it back in, but I'm not sure if it's a serious thing or not. Here's a picture, View attachment 107477

The picture looks as if she has gular edema.

Does she keep her tongue like that because she is hunting and thinking about hitting a bug?

She definitely looks like she has some sort of issue going on. Looks like she has edema and her eyes also look swollen. Best to fill out the "how to ask for help" form and post some additional pictures of her and her cage setup.

We just had her at the vet for mouth rot, and they obviously had her mouth open. She's only done this twice, and she does have scar tissue from the mouth rot which shifted her jaw a bit. Maybe that's the cause? I really doubt it's an edema

Ok I'm going to ask, how do they get mouth rot? Glad to hear you took her to the vet. Hope it gets better.

From what I've read, they get it from a crickets stinger catching them as they eat it, and that cut gets infected. I'm pretty sure there are other ways, but that's how our cham got it

If theyre bigger then they have a stick kind of thing coming off their back, i dont know the parts of crickets so im guessing its a stinger

That is actually an egg-laying proboscis, only found on females. However, as mentioned before, mouth rot is a bacterial infection and could potentially be caused by anything that causes a cut.

In the picture you posted it does look like you cham has edema (causes swelling) around the neck area, although there are numerous things that can cause that and it may not be related to the problem.

Having the tongue out partially is not normal unless they are actively preparing to shoot an insect, but it could be related to the mouth rot. Since your already working with a vet, I would ask them about it, and maybe post some more pictures here of your cham's whole body.

I to would say she has edema. She just don't look right in this picture her eyes almost closed, her neck and eyes swollen. Like was said maybe some more pictures if she don't always look like this. And I too would check back with the vet. :)

I believe in second opinion is there a way for you to do this? I know reptile vets are hard to come by.

Does she have any signs of MBD because the upper lip looks slightly curved? Wondering if the tongue could be infected and too swollen or because of the edema she can't pull it all the way back into her mouth....so many possibilities...you really need a good vet for her. She is definitely not well IMHO.

image.jpg here is a full picture. I looked up edema cases and it really doesn't look like that, obviously I'm not a vet though. Sorry for the screen of her cage, and she's dark because she hates vameras

Back
Top Bottom