Cham Randomly Dropped Tongue During Misting...?

NDO

During misting I caught my panther cham just letting his tongue 'fall' out a few times—it just hung there for a while, then he would bring it back up. It was quite low too (the entire 'sticky' part, for lack of a better word, was hanging out) I've never seen him or any of my other chams do this before and he hasn't done it since it happened (~1 week ago). No noticeable changes in behavior or anything either. He's about a year old.

Should I be worried?

Could you fill out the ask for help form (link in my signature below) in full detail, please? Along with posting pics of your cham and his enclosure

could it be edma? vitamin deficiency. definitely fill out the form and we'll try to help you out. is his tongue swollen at all?

Tongue isn’t swollen or abnormal. It was a voluntary movement; imagine a dog drinking water, that’s literally what it looked like. It functions completely normally, too.

Tongue isn’t swollen or abnormal. It was a voluntary movement; imagine a dog drinking water, that’s literally what it looked like. It functions completely normally, too.
then I see nothing to worry about but just get a second opinion from someone else just in case

A limp tongue is always something to worry about, not panic but worry. Take this incident as a sign to get your husbandry reviewed, specifically the supplements. Everything to be covered is in the help form.

The tongue is definitely not 'limp'; read my comments above, please.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Panther, male 7 months old
  • Handling - Little to no handling
  • Feeding - Gut load with cricket crack or organic greens, carrots, and other tier 1 gutloads. Feed in the morning: dubia=staple, otherwise crickets, red runners, bsf, hornworms, butterworms, silkworms, rarely snail or locusts
  • Supplements - Phosphorous/D3 free Calcium every feeding, vitamin supplement w/o D3 every 2 weeks, D3 every 2 weeks
  • Watering - Mistking, 3.5 min in the morning and 2-minute cycles rest of day for a total of 4 cycles; I see him drinking
  • Fecal Description - Normal, yes: normal
  • History - n/a

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 2x2x4 Screen
  • Lighting - Arcadia T5 HO linear UVB, incandescent white light for heating
  • Temperature - 82-85 basking, ambient in 70s
  • Humidity - 60-80 normally
  • Plants - Pothos and Schefflera
  • Placement - On a stand, isolated area
  • Location - CA

Read it twice yesterday.

just letting his tongue 'fall' out a few times—it just hung there for a while, then he would bring it back up.

Any time a chams tongue is hanging from its mouth it is said to be “limp” because it is not in its natural recoiled position. Doesn’t have to be dragging the ground to be limp.

Supplements look good. If he continues to eat and drink as normal I see no need for a vet. Just keep an eye on him, especially during misting to see if the behavior continues on an irregular basis.

The tongue is definitely not 'limp'; read my comments above, please.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Panther, male 7 months old
  • Handling - Little to no handling
  • Feeding - Gut load with cricket crack or organic greens, carrots, and other tier 1 gutloads. Feed in the morning: dubia=staple, otherwise crickets, red runners, bsf, hornworms, butterworms, silkworms, rarely snail or locusts
  • Supplements - Phosphorous/D3 free Calcium every feeding, vitamin supplement w/o D3 every 2 weeks, D3 every 2 weeks
  • Watering - Mistking, 3.5 min in the morning and 2-minute cycles rest of day for a total of 4 cycles; I see him drinking
  • Fecal Description - Normal, yes: normal
  • History - n/a

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 2x2x4 Screen
  • Lighting - Arcadia T5 HO linear UVB, incandescent white light for heating
  • Temperature - 82-85 basking, ambient in 70s
  • Humidity - 60-80 normally
  • Plants - Pothos and Schefflera
  • Placement - On a stand, isolated area
  • Location - CA
What strength uvb? Aim for 85-87*F for basking

What strength uvb? Aim for 85-87*F for basking
6% Arcadia. Also Panther carsheet says ~82F for >9 months, that's why I kept it at 82, not that a couple of degrees would matter though, haha.

Read it twice yesterday.
Any time a chams tongue is hanging from its mouth it is said to be “limp” because it is not in its natural recoiled position. Doesn’t have to be dragging the ground to be limp.

Supplements look good. If he continues to eat and drink as normal I see no need for a vet. Just keep an eye on him, especially during misting to see if the behavior continues on an irregular basis.
Ah, okay, apologies. Thanks!

6% Arcadia. Also Panther carsheet says ~82F for >9 months, that's why I kept it at 82, not that a couple of degrees would matter though, haha.

Ah, okay, apologies. Thanks!
Sorry, skimmed over the age part! My bad!

Back
Top Bottom