Cham pacing

Michaela_pett

I have a female chameleon and she is usually pretty calm and never really wants to leave her enclosure but today she has not stopped moving and climbing all around. I thought maybe she wanted to come out and wander so I opened her enclosure and just sat back and watched. She immediately came out so I let her climb around for a little bit outside of her enclosure but now she will not stop climbing around and climbing the door of the enclosure and every time I open it she comes out and doesn’t want to go back in which is really weird for her. I just want to make sure nothing is wrong because she’s never done anything like this. She is also 9-10 months old.

I have a female chameleon and she is usually pretty calm and never really wants to leave her enclosure but today she has not stopped moving and climbing all around. I thought maybe she wanted to come out and wander so I opened her enclosure and just sat back and watched. She immediately came out so I let her climb around for a little bit outside of her enclosure but now she will not stop climbing around and climbing the door of the enclosure and every time I open it she comes out and doesn’t want to go back in which is really weird for her. I just want to make sure nothing is wrong because she’s never done anything like this. She is also 9-10 months old.
Please take pics of her for us. Does she have a lay bin?

Please post a couple of recent photos of her. Is this the one that was 3 or 4 months old in May? She's likely gravid and needs to lay eggs. Do you have a laybin for her IN the cage?

Last edited:
I put her on a blanket so you could see better... I don’t have a lay bin in her cage because I haven’t really seen any changes in her weight or size in general. But yes she is the one that was 3-4 months in May.

Attachments

• D6E774EE-3772-401D-BC29-98CE8751D277.jpeg
    D6E774EE-3772-401D-BC29-98CE8751D277.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 0CD57100-35B4-49FE-9CDD-8B01AECC5B27.jpeg
    0CD57100-35B4-49FE-9CDD-8B01AECC5B27.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 6632BD75-E8D9-4132-BA99-90AB0775F376.jpeg
    6632BD75-E8D9-4132-BA99-90AB0775F376.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 72
I took some of her stuff out and put fresh substrate in to put the lay bin in her cage which is setting up right now

Attachments

• E8B405F0-4346-4F0E-8AA4-E1818EC4A25F.jpeg
    E8B405F0-4346-4F0E-8AA4-E1818EC4A25F.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 7401DDF8-E50E-4D14-9367-6543F079E48D.jpeg
    7401DDF8-E50E-4D14-9367-6543F079E48D.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 77
I took some of her stuff out and put fresh substrate in to put the lay bin in her cage which is setting up right now
What are you using for substrate? It has to hold a tunnel. take a picture of your lay bin and dig a test tunnel to make sure the moisture is right.

I am using the coconut fiber. It’s still pretty wet but while I was letting it dry out a bit she started digging in her cage substrate so I put in the container with the coconut fiber but I dug a little hole with a spoon and it was stable.

Attachments

• 5388AD3F-9C58-4EE2-A6AA-789C90A66CF4.jpeg
    5388AD3F-9C58-4EE2-A6AA-789C90A66CF4.jpeg
    333.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 9E5E7AF5-C0D4-40F7-A40F-B8F79EF5061C.jpeg
    9E5E7AF5-C0D4-40F7-A40F-B8F79EF5061C.jpeg
    314.5 KB · Views: 53
Your cham looks gravid.

Get her an 8" bucket, basket, bin, what ever safe for her and fill it with some organic potting soil or ReptiSoil works great too. I use it for my female. Certain soils aren't okay for them. They also need a large enough bin to make several trial tunnels.

I am using the coconut fiber. It’s still pretty wet but while I was letting it dry out a bit she started digging in her cage substrate so I put in the container with the coconut fiber but I dug a little hole with a spoon and it was stable.
Also, I am not sure this is safe for your cham..

Coco fiber really should not be used... It will dry out and collapse and the bottom will be really wet. You want to use play sand. Did you see the links I posted above for you? But you may not have a choice if she is already trying to dig in her enclosure. she needs to be able to lay those eggs so she does not become egg bound.

I’ve done research on coconut fiber and everything I read says it’s safe and one of the cleanest fibers for them
Leave the bottom empty.

If you are concerned about water being an issue, cut a few small holes in the center of the enclosure and put a bin under it. The water will drain into the bin and you can just empty it every so often.

Coco fiber really should not be used... It will dry out and collapse and the bottom will be really wet. You want to use play sand. Did you see the links I posted above for you? But you may not have a choice if she is already trying to dig in her enclosure. she needs to be able to lay those eggs so she does not become egg bound.
I did look at the links. I got a container that is at least twelve inches deep but the one explaining what she does for her chameleon didn’t give a substrate that she used or I just missed it and for the other link the one video said not available and the other was if they are receptive or not but I’m not breeding her. If she doesn’t lay eggs by tomorrow should I switch to the sand?

I did look at the links. I got a container that is at least twelve inches deep but the one explaining what she does for her chameleon didn’t give a substrate that she used or I just missed it and for the other link the one video said not available and the other was if they are receptive or not but I’m not breeding her. If she doesn’t lay eggs by tomorrow should I switch to the sand?
You can not switch her once she starts that is the issue.... You don't want her to abandon the bin and retain the eggs.

Going to tag some female keepers for you @MissSkittles @AmandaS Please help the OP

Hi. The problem with coco coir is that it is prone to collapse. Chams don’t just dig a few inches straight down. They dig a tunnel pretty much diagonal or even straight across. Play sand or plain soil is preferred. However, if she has already started the process, you do not want to disturb her at all. Place a light sheet just around the visible sides of her enclosure and make sure to allow yourself a discrete way to monitor her. You will want to monitor often to make sure the tunnel doesn’t collapse & bury her. If that happens you’ll have to disturb her and dig her out. Then would be the only time you could then put in the correct lay bin...quickly and smoothly. She’ll dig possibly several test tunnels until she likes one. This is an awesome video of what they do. From start to end can take a couple of days.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/veiled-laying-eggs.178952/

That is a really awesome video! When you say play sand what do you mean exactly? Like is there a specific brand that you would recommend? And to keep the coco fiber from collapsing what would you suggest? Thank you so much for helping me out!

That is a really awesome video! When you say play sand what do you mean exactly? Like is there a specific brand that you would recommend? And to keep the coco fiber from collapsing what would you suggest? Thank you so much for helping me out!
There is a brand called King’s that @kinyonga has always used. I’ve only ever seen quick-Crete in my local area. Not sure how to keep coco coir from collapsing.

Back
Top Bottom